Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/un...-of-3/24276313

i want to use these pens because they are the ones i've been using every year and most comfortable with, but i read that they stressed on biro so much cos the papers are being scanned?! -_-
    biros hurt my hands, make my writing horrible and the ink is so unreliable since it skips often.
    anyone know better about the rules of pens, i definitely know they wont allow gel, but not so sure on this ink in particular

ReputationRep:
    The papers usually state 'black ink or black ballpoint pen'

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I sat my first exam on Monday and have one tomorrow; I was allowed to use my fountain pen when I asked, especially since, like you, biro makes my handwriting really messy. I'm quite sure that you are allowed, but just double check anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/un...-of-3/24276313

i want to use these pens because they are the ones i've been using every year and most comfortable with, but i read that they stressed on biro so much cos the papers are being scanned?! -_-
    biros hurt my hands, make my writing horrible and the ink is so unreliable since it skips often.
    anyone know better about the rules of pens, i definitely know they wont allow gel, but not so sure on this ink in particular
    I have heard from todays exam that you are not allowed gel pens(even if black) just allowed black biro pens. Not sure if your allowed ink pens but maybe I wouldn't risk it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JackHarrison)
    The papers usually state 'black ink or black ballpoint pen'
    they should be more specific xD and say ''liquid''
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Everdeen16)
    Hey, I sat my first exam on Monday and have one tomorrow; I was allowed to use my fountain pen when I asked, especially since, like you, biro makes my handwriting really messy. I'm quite sure that you are allowed, but just double check anyway.
    i had to sit through my first exam with a biro and it suckeedddd

ReputationRep:
    I use those exact same pens, never had any problems when using them to do 10 exams in previous years :3 if anything, they are more clear as the colour is more pure black xD bloody hate using biros

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought exam boards only ever specify black ink / ballpoint pen as it is most likely to show up when it scanned. I think the idea is making it as easy as possible for the examiner to award you the marks. Saying that, if a biro would smudge everywhere when you write, they aren't going to be able to read your paper that easily, so I'd say write with whatever you're the most comfortable with - providing its not a neon pink gel pen I'm pretty sure its fine
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Abeh)
    I use those exact same pens, never had any problems when using them to do 10 exams in previous years :3 if anything, they are more clear as the colour is more pure black xD bloody hate using biros

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hate them to death, i made my revision notes in them and will dread reading them back in these horrible hand writing
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ifyouseelaura)
    I thought exam boards only ever specify black ink / ballpoint pen as it is most likely to show up when it scanned. I think the idea is making it as easy as possible for the examiner to award you the marks. Saying that, if a biro would smudge everywhere when you write, they aren't going to be able to read your paper that easily, so I'd say write with whatever you're the most comfortable with - providing its not a neon pink gel pen I'm pretty sure its fine
    hahahha neon gel pink xD i actually have that pen :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    hahahha neon gel pink xD i actually have that pen :P
    So do I... but sadly I'm having to neglect it at the bottom of my pencil case until the end of exams season...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.