Turn on thread page Beta

Should I live at home or move into halls? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm planning on studying at Manchester next year and I'm still unsure whether to apply for accommodation or just live at home as I'm not a massive party goer/ drinker and can be quite intolerant of people (when hungry or tired which I assume I will be all the time as a student).

Anyway I live about 1-2 hours train/car journey away and I was wondering whether it be feasible ( obviously if I needed to stay over I'm Manchester I'd book into a hotel or something).

Alternatively if there are any other ideas with accommodation they'll be most welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go to halls. You'll regret it if you don't. If it doesn't work out, you always have second and third year.

ReputationRep:
    Halls! You never know you may develop your social skills a bit more and start partying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Halls. Thats too long of a commute.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm certain i am going to hate halls...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends on no of lectures and times, more lectures=halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cammybl)
    Hi guys I'm planning on studying at Manchester next year and I'm still unsure whether to apply for accommodation or just live at home as I'm not a massive party goer/ drinker and can be quite intolerant of people (when hungry or tired which I assume I will be all the time as a student).

Anyway I live about 1-2 hours train/car journey away and I was wondering whether it be feasible ( obviously if I needed to stay over I'm Manchester I'd book into a hotel or something).

Alternatively if there are any other ideas with accommodation they'll be most welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Halls young lady it's the way to go there is another thread about a guy that has decided too do a 2 hours commute somewhere on here we are almost all saying don't do it he is not listening 2 hours each way is 4 hours commuting also in halls you will save money. Despite what you may think student's area not always hungry or tiered you learn how to live within your means you say you are not a big party goer drinker my brother it t-totle and before he went to uni he was like a proper introvert he came out of his shell at uni and partied harder then all of us and he never touched alcohol you may have to party a bit I the first 2 weeks as a bonding thing but after that you can alway go and join the film soc or somthing that I I tests you somthing that would be imposabelmif you are commuting 4 hours a day total also you learn how to love at home good luck

ReputationRep:
    Consider any commuting carefully.

Is it a direct train journey? Do you need to walk, take a bus, walk, take the train, take another train then walk again?

Anyway, I'd say try halls and if you don't like it, go into a shared house or flat (best of both worlds IMO).

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want to spend 4 hours a day travelling?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cammybl)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Halls are vital in first year even if you don't particularly get on with your hall mates you learn so much. You don't have to be a massive party goer or drinker just be seen to go to some socials so people get to know you (usually a Pub/Bar followed by a club in my society) hell you don't even have to go to the club if you don't want to.

A 2 hour commute is a long time it's 4 hours a day which i guarantee will impact your uni work negatively.

There are many reasons why commuting is not a good idea which I'll detail below

1/Social life I've already touched on this even if your not in to clubbing or parties it's very easy to have a social life at uni not all societies are hardened drinkers (well ok most sports clubs) there are things like Film, or student radio stations computer gaming and so many more if those don't take your fancy there are so many more it'll blow your mind if you don't find something you like or want to try you can always start your own club or society very easily.oh and you don't have to drink at a club if you don't want to I survived on J20's all night. Societies thing usually start around 7 so you'll either be finished way before and waiting around or turning up a little late to the socials my lectures finished at 7 sometimes and what would you do with your stuff (you couldn't really take it clubbing or whatever). you also obviously won't travel 8 hours a day for a night out will you.

2/Cost Trains are expensive and running a car even more so you'l likely be travelling in the rush hour so your tickets will be even more expensive your looking at about £100 or a week if your in 5 days a week (I just checked online an on peak return today was £79.99) I live about 3 hours away and it's £80 a day peak return for me it will probably be less for you but if we knock off £30 say it's still £50 a day which is £250 a week halls are usually about £90-£120 a week so your saving quite a bit by staying in halls.

3/Time table no one ever considerers this you could have a really good one (3 days with good breaks of an hour or so between lectures finishing at 3 or 4 o'clock or just all afternoons 5 days a week)or you could have nightmarish ones (5 full on days a week) or (you could have a day with a 9 hour break between lectures thats 1 lecture at 9 and another at 6) while you can study for a bit 11 hours is pushing it a bit it is also nice to have a place to return to

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to interfere here, but may I know if university residences are available to students of 2nd and 3rd year too commonly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrono)
    Sorry to interfere here, but may I know if university residences are available to students of 2nd and 3rd year too commonly?
    it depends from uni to uni but i think most unis allow this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Please check the sticky in the Student Accommodation section.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.