The Student Room Group

New Disabilities Minister votes against protecting benefits of disabled children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05/13/justin-tomlinson-disabled-child-benefits-cancer-patients-bedroom-tax_n_7272956.html

"The new Conservative disabilities minister voted against protecting the benefits of disabled children and those undergoing cancer treatment.

But he did vote for the bedroom tax.

Justin Tomlinson, MP for North Swindon, was promoted by David Cameron on Wednesday as part of the cabinet reshuffle.

The 38-year-old will report to Iain Duncan Smith and will have responsibility for child poverty other disability issues."

It's happening.
Over 3 years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both the Culture Secretary and the Equalities Minister voted against gay marriage as well. But having said that, Nicky Morgan has since changed her stance on gay marriage - although possibly just for political reasons.

It's a well thought out cabinet, you can tell.
He also voted against protecting benefits for cancer patients. I barely wish ill on people, i have always been shocked that david cameron lost a disabled son with his stance to disabled people but hope karma gets the new "disabled" minister
They are tories so what do you expect?

One of the reasons why I support diversifying how we choose our governors. The only way to avoid something like this and remain 'democratic' is to introduce allotment into government, or have some sort of court provision that protects minorities from cuts. The problem is that no matter what anyone suggests it will need to be seen as democratic.

Governors can be appointed by the Monarch, and even though our royals have a tendency to be Tories, she would likely be under pressure to choose moderate candidates based on knowledge.
Parliament can be elected on a more progressive electoral system, and may swing to the right but is likely to be left.
Allotment can produce all sorts of results, but takes the wand of governance out of majority-rule.

Though I think it's woeful to have such people representing minorities, but I'm not sure how exactly to solve it.
Swindon represent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending