Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    My brother is 10 and has been diagnosed with Visual Stress which means he now has to wear special blue glasses so that he can read quicker and easier than before. At the start of this Year (year 5) they put him in a Lexia program because they thought he might have dyslexia, but after assessment he was deemed to have Visual Stress which means he finds English harder.

    He has been told he can take the 11+ and is very clever. My parents aren't doing anything right now, but I think we should be applying for SEN accommodation to try and allow him to have extra time to do the English and be able to bring his glasses in. How can I go about making an application, who do I need to be talking to?

    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Your parents need to speak to the SENCO (special education needs co-ordinator) at his school. They should have been given a report after his assessment which has some recommendations of any help he needs.

    His school may have been given a copy of the report.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You need to speak to the schools Senco and show them any evidence you have of his difficulties.
    I m sorry to hear your parents aren't doing anything, have you asked them why they havent tried to put anything in place for your brother?


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.