Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I handed in an essay yesterday, but I'm worried about getting penalised for being below the word count.

The word limit was 3000 words and I only managed to write 2807 as I couldn't think of anything else to add.

There used to be a leeway percentage of 10% over or under on assessments, but this changed in September 2014. The guidelines now say that there is 'a maximumword limit that you should aim to meet but must not exceed' and that you shouldn't be 'significantly over or under' the word count.

However I'm not really sure what's meant by 'significantly'- 193 words doesn't seem like that much to me, but I'm wondering how many marks I can expect to have deducted?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about your uni but at mine it's still if you exceed +/-10% you loose 5% of your marks

ReputationRep:
    You don't get marks deducted for being under the word count, only over it. If your word count is significantly under ( and I don't think that applies to you), the marker might consider that you have not written a sufficiently detailed assignment, but I would say a couple of hundred words under is perfectly acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's good! Thanks to both of you for your replies- I've decided to just stop worrying about it and hope for the best now anyway.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.