Turn on thread page Beta

Why do African Parents do this? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people who have been "shipped" which practically means they get taken to their families country such as Nigeria to spend their rest of their life there, but they do have the possibility of returning. I've asked African parents why they do this they reply with to learn, to learn what though?
    Why do African parents send their children back to Africa when they misbehave?
    (It's most common to happen in the teenage years).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Discipline

ReputationRep:
    Like the above poster said, discipline.

It works on some. Fails miserably on others.

ReputationRep:
    because Africa has a large number of third world countries and by exposing their kids to such an environment would enable them to realise how fortunate they are

ReputationRep:
    So, is it child abuse in a sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    I know a lot of people who have been "shipped" which practically means they get taken to their families country such as Nigeria to spend their rest of their life there, but they do have the possibility of returning. I've asked African parents why they do this they reply with to learn, to learn what though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm Nigerian, you see the problem is all African parents are ****ing stupid, I REPEAT, They are ****ING STUPID :mad:. Don't you know most of these gangsters from the endz are from africa and do you know why they become gangsters? because the parents abused them physically when there were younger

I'm glad this thread was created because this morning my mum, has basically said the same thing for the past 10 years saying that she should have left me in nigeria to SUFFER :mad:. The ***** has the AUDACITY to tell me that she should have left me in Nigeria whilst she and my dad lived in London. My dad said this evening that he's thinking of me sending me to a nigerian village because my depression is contagious :mad::mad::mad:. I'm 19 ffs, i know im a loser and unlikely to go uni this year but don't be so ****ing CYNICAL TO ME.

They think Africa is the best for stubborn teenagers. They want their own children to SUFFER ABUSE there from their grandparents/relatives. Trust me in Africa, the reason why children are disciplined is because they receive abuse from their parents. I witnessed a mum using a huge cane beating her son, i was crying inside but i had to pretend like everyone else and laugh when i was so upset

And when shipped children come back, do they change? the result is often unlikely although they do have some sort of fear. It's seems to be a strange tradition for bad teenagers these days.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my friend had the holiday trick played on her. She was humble for about a month and she returned to her old rude nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    I'm Nigerian, you see the problem is all African parents are ****ing stupid, I REPEAT, They are ****ING STUPID :mad:. Don't you know most of these gangsters from the endz are from africa and do you know why they become gangsters? because the parents abused them physically when there were younger

I'm glad this thread was created because this morning my mum, has basically said the same thing for the past 10 years saying that she should have left me in nigeria to SUFFER :mad:. The ***** has the AUDACITY to tell me that she should have left me in Nigeria whilst she and my dad lived in London. My dad said this evening that he's thinking of me sending me to a nigerian village because my depression is contagious :mad::mad::mad:. I'm 19 ffs, i know im a loser and unlikely to go uni this year but don't be so ****ing CYNICAL TO ME.

They think Africa is the best for stubborn teenagers. They want their own children to SUFFER ABUSE there from their grandparents/relatives. Trust me in Africa, the reason why children are disciplined is because they receive abuse from their parents. I witnessed a mum using a huge cane beating her son, i was crying inside but i had to pretend like everyone else and laugh when i was so upset

And when shipped children come back, do they change? the result is often unlikely although they do have some sort of fear. It's seems to be a strange tradition for bad teenagers these days.
    Never call your Mother such names. Humble yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Don't tell me what to say!. She doesn't understand (actually all NIGERIANS DONT UNDERSTAND) Mental health hence i feel angered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Why let them express themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    African parents raise the most disciplined children. Their methods work.

End of.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my indian friend got sent to India for 2 years with his mum and sister whilst his Dad stayed here... he told me he had to beg his dad for months over skype to convince him to let the come back to the UK.

The way he speaks of it it was not a positive experience at all.

My parents are Bulgarian and sometimes they threaten my sister with this but I know they would never through with it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    Don't tell me what to say!. She doesn't understand (actually all NIGERIANS DONT UNDERSTAND) Mental health hence i feel angered.
    Don't use your bad experience to stereotype all African parents.

Do you understand that you've contradicted yourself so much? The reason your parents are considering sending you back because you are disrespectful, and maybe as loving parents they think this country is doing you no good.

How can you just sit there and call your parents all names under the sun? My God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunax)
    Just cause you're on TSR doesn't mean you can talk about your mum this way, my parents have done me wrong about a lot of things believe me and I have felt this level of anger so many times but I'd never express it because I respect them too much. We are raised better than that. I feel you on their ignorance regarding mental health,( my parents refused to accept that I had ADHD and just constantly thought that it was me being lazy and looking for easy way out and still do), matter of fact they sabotaged me so I couldn't receive it from the NHS and I couldn't afford private for the longest time. But, still I can empathize and see where they're coming from considering their upbringings.
    Highlighted red shows how agitated i am when africans are like this. My parents are sort of like this. They don't understand that i have anxiety and Depression and i can no longer take their insults any longer as its close to giving me a breakdown.

I'm serious about my words, It's hard to say good things about my parents when they are not supporting me on what im doing and not understanding my college situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)

If you saw the child being beaten and were supposedly upset why did you stand there and not try and put a stop to it?

Instead you used the mouth that God gave you to "pretend" to laugh whilst someone was in pain?

I don't think your parents are the idiots here, I wonder who the true idiot may be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyraLaryea)
    If you saw the child being beaten and were supposedly upset why did you stand there and not try and put a stop to it?

Instead you used the mouth that God gave you to "pretend" to laugh whilst someone was in pain?

I don't think your parents are the idiots here, I wonder who the true idiot may be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This was in Nigeria on holiday last year!!! i had to lower my british accent and pretend and act like a Nigerian hence the nigerian mentality. I was just doing it to belong, i didn't like it i was upset but my cousin said 'thats how we do it here' so yeah..

You don't get how my life is ruined, i do understand that i'm being mean here but they started it. It's because they don't like me at all (espicially my dad). They question on why im so ******* and an introvert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not just African, a lot of people do that. There was a girl in my school who got shipped to her native Brazil because of her behaviour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunax)
    It's a good experience, I was a trouble maker in school and my school had a policy of sending all trouble-makers to college at the end of year 9 and I just about made the cut (was ranked something like 250 out of 270/280) anyway got sent back for a year and it was a pretty good experience that really humbled me, came back all quiet and made me realize why my parents brought me to this country. You lose perspective when you're born here/come here in a young age, you get too comfortable and imagine this place as your own, it gives you a new reality check.

Exactly!

People here seem to take things as a joke and disrespect their elders and parents. For example swear at them whilst in Africa apparently you will get beaten in schools and at home for doing that.

From what i have heard, people who go there and come back are changed and different people entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunax)
    It's a good experience, I was a trouble maker in school and my school had a policy of sending all trouble-makers to college at the end of year 9 and I just about made the cut (was ranked something like 250 out of 270/280) anyway got sent back for a year and it was a pretty good experience that really humbled me, came back all quiet and made me realize why my parents brought me to this country. You lose perspective when you're born here/come here in a young age, you get too comfortable and imagine this place as your own, it gives you a new reality check.

Edit: People need to respect their elders more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a form of punishment. Like if someone told you, "you'll get sent back to poverty, famine and genocide," you'd be wise to shape up. It happens to many people actually, not just Africans. Polynesians do it like send their kids from Australia back to Tonga or wherever

(Original post by O.Ozz)

You need Jesus :closedeyes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.