Turn on thread page Beta

Since going to university in 2011, me and my best friend have slowly drifted apart. We visited each other through first year and although we often spoke, in our final year we hardly spoke at all. I put it down to us both being so busy but now we've both graduated and moved home. Things have got worse. She very rarely replies to my texts, I recently had some good news and then when I randomly bumped into her she said she saw it on Facebook, yet I never had even a text from her.

I recently got told by a mutual friend that she may have a girlfriend but said she didn't want me to know she was gay. This is really hurtful as she knows i am completely non-judgemental and thought she would know this would never change the way I thought about her.

Is my friendship of 8 years over?

ReputationRep:
    **** happens. Just gotta carry on m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Since going to university in 2011, me and my best friend have slowly drifted apart. We visited each other through first year and although we often spoke, in our final year we hardly spoke at all. I put it down to us both being so busy but now we've both graduated and moved home. Things have got worse. She very rarely replies to my texts, I recently had some good news and then when I randomly bumped into her she said she saw it on Facebook, yet I never had even a text from her.

I recently got told by a mutual friend that she may have a girlfriend but said she didn't want me to know she was gay. This is really hurtful as she knows i am completely non-judgemental and thought she would know this would never change the way I thought about her.

Is my friendship of 8 years over?
    Awful situation to have found yourself in after quite some time! Unfortunately that's life, especially when you've been friends with someone at a younger age, as you grow up you become different people and that includes losing some friends as you have less in common with them.

I guess you could approach her about it, say you want to meet up for a coffee and catch up? It's the only thing you can do!

Failing that, it'll hurt for a while and you'll always think 'what if' but you'll find someone whose more suited to yourself, instead of trying to make an outgrown friendship work. One day you'll wake up though and you'll be fine at the thought of her being a stranger. It's an awful thing to go through but it'll make you stronger! All the best!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2015
Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.