Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok... So this isn't perhaps immediately impacting on my day to day well-being/ truly offending me. It's just making me quite depressed.

Now the fact of the matter is, I REALLY REALLY dislike tattoos. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate people because/ if they have tattoos, my best friend does indeed have one. I have just always found tattoos really strange, ugly and unnatural, and it's making me depressed about how conformist everybody is to this "fad". Why would anyone choose to inject filthy ink under their skin, to create some poorly drawn picture/ pattern?

As the weeks go by, I see more and more friends/ acquaintances getting them, and, in a way, it makes me feel more and more alone. Not that I'm missing out on something, but in that I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has this opinion.

And please do not lecture me on how tats are this "Beautiful, unique, individual artform". I have heard that argument a billion times and do not buy it.

ReputationRep:
    You're not. Not everyone likes tattoos, why should everyone be entitled to love them?

I personally find tattoos somewhat attractive. As long as you're not completely covered though, and the tattoo better not have some stupid message beneath it or anything. Tattoos on the face are a no-no for me too. I couldn't give a toss about how people think it's unnatural or ugly. Don't care. See what I'm doing? It's a preference. You don't like tattoos at all, that's your preference. And that preference is fine.

Also, none of my friends find tattoos attractive as far as I know.

EDIT: If they get them that's their business. Not yours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like any body mods really, don't like ear rings etc, don't mind watches but that's it, would never wear jewelry.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think we should say? If you are asking whether it's fair not to like tattoos it's fair. Some people like them and have the freedom to get them, some people dislike them and don't get them. If people around you want to get tattooed it is their decision.

ReputationRep:
    It's your opinion, lots of people feel this way and although I don't agree with I can respect it. It's definitely not a 'fad' though people have been getting tattoos since the 1800s, you say you don't understand why people want them but have you tried asking your friends why they got theirs and understanding what their tattoos mean to them? I say this as someone who has no tattoos but plans to get some in the future.

Also, I have to disagree with 'filthy ink', the ink is clean, tattoo shops are clean because they have to be otherwise you can get infections from tattoos. Second, 'poorly drawn picture/ pattern', are you serious, I know some tattoos look sh*tty but have you ever actually seen a well done tattoo? They can look as good, if not better than most traditional visual art forms.
    This tattoo isn't poorly drawn, it takes skill to draw out the stencil and then tattoo it on someone. A skill that like all other skills took hours of practice and dedication to perfect. It's fine if you don't like them but at least have respect for it as an artform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Igbinidu)
    It's your opinion, lots of people feel this way and although I don't agree with I can respect it. It's definitely not a 'fad' though people have been getting tattoos since the 1800s, you say you don't understand why people want them but have you tried asking your friends why they got theirs and understanding what their tattoos mean to them?Also, I have to disagree with 'filthy ink', the ink is clean, tattoo shops are clean because they have to be otherwise you can get infections from tattoos. Second, 'poorly drawn picture/ pattern', are you serious, I know some tattoos look ****ty but have you ever actually seen a well done tattoo? They can look as good, if not better than most traditional visual art forms.
    This tattoo isn't poorly drawn, it takes skill to draw out the stencil and then tattoo it on someone. A skill that like all other skills took hours of practice and dedication to perfect. It's fine if you don't like them but at least have respect for it as an artform.
    These are beautifully drawn! I'm not too fussed about tattoos either way as long as they don't look tacky.

ReputationRep:
    You think its unnatural and ugly? I really don't give a ****.

As surprising as it may be to you, I didn't get tattoos for you, I didn't do it to look 'attractive' and I sure as hell didn't do it because I'm ill.

Just like my other body mods I did it to feel more comfortable I my own skin. If that disgusts you then, to be polite; leave me alone.

ReputationRep:
    Well don't get one :lol:

I debated over getting a tattoo, I had quite a few designs and ideas that I liked. I'm into rock music, and sometimes feel a bit naked amongst other fans without any ink :lol: But the idea of having to live an entire life with the same marking is a bit daunting. In the end I've decided to remain ink-less.

Each to their own really. There are many things people don't like, but so long as it doesn't directly effect our lives we should be tolerant of it. If getting tattooed head to toe, with body modifications and piercings everywhere makes someone happy, who I'm I to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    These are beautifully drawn! I'm not too fussed about tattoos either way as long as they don't look tacky.
    A lot of tattoos can look tacky but I tend not to criticise them even if they are tacky, unless they're super generic like tribal tattoos, because tattoos generally mean something to people and they get them for a reason so it could look tacky to you but mean the world to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phipp91)
    Ok... So this isn't perhaps immediately impacting on my day to day well-being/ truly offending me. It's just making me quite depressed.

Now the fact of the matter is, I REALLY REALLY dislike tattoos. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate people because/ if they have tattoos, my best friend does indeed have one. I have just always found tattoos really strange, ugly and unnatural, and it's making me depressed about how conformist everybody is to this "fad". Why would anyone choose to inject filthy ink under their skin, to create some poorly drawn picture/ pattern?

As the weeks go by, I see more and more friends/ acquaintances getting them, and, in a way, it makes me feel more and more alone. Not that I'm missing out on something, but in that I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has this opinion.

And please do not lecture me on how tats are this "Beautiful, unique, individual artform". I have heard that argument a billion times and do not buy it.
    sterile ink surely, unless your friends are all doing it at home with a biro.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as tattoos or body art has existed for thousands of years, I wouldn't really call it a 'fad'

ReputationRep:
    I find only good looking ppl look good with tattoos. It's like short hair, long hair. Tattoos are art, if you think tattoos are ugly you think pretty photos are ugly just because it's on someone's skin. Silly much, no?

So tattoos aren't ugly, because a dragon isn't ugly. You just don't find it necessary to see it on someone's face :teehee:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.