Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on the right breed for me. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was hoping for some advice on what would be a good breed for me.

I am looking for a pretty calm and obedient dog. I am in a motorised wheelchair, so training would need to be fairly easy to do and I guess a dog that isn't likely to jump up (although if its a small-medium size that shouldn't be an issue). Preferably a small to small/medium sized dog.

I have my own place which is a relatively big bungalow, with a good sized garden and its in a nice area with plenty of green areas and walking routes.

I have been looking at King Charles Cavalier and Cavachon's, however I am not sure if there are better choices out there?

I previously had a labrador for 4 months, which unfortunately became to much for me to handle size wise and she is now living in the Lake District with a close friend. I do consider myself a novice with dogs, so a fairly easy to train dog is vital.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks,

Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamiC)
    Hi guys,

I was hoping for some advice on what would be a good breed for me.

I am looking for a pretty calm and obedient dog. I am in a motorised wheelchair, so training would need to be fairly easy to do and I guess a dog that isn't likely to jump up (although if its a small-medium size that shouldn't be an issue). Preferably a small to small/medium sized dog.

I have my own place which is a relatively big bungalow, with a good sized garden and its in a nice area with plenty of green areas and walking routes.

I have been looking at King Charles Cavalier and Cavachon's, however I am not sure if there are better choices out there?

I previously had a labrador for 4 months, which unfortunately became to much for me to handle size wise and she is now living in the Lake District with a close friend. I do consider myself a novice with dogs, so a fairly easy to train dog is vital.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks,

Sam
    Avoid choosing a dog simply by breed, it is no measure of how "easy" it is to train rather physical features (eg; size, shape, colour, breed related health problems, etc). I have worked with more than my fair share of badly behaved, or even aggressive, Cavaliers/Bichons/Cocker Spaniels/West Highland White Terriers/etc.

The main points to focus on with dog training is getting some professional advice on how to do it properly in the first place, getting a dog that isn't too big for you to control, dedicating plenty of time to do it properly and consistency. You don't just stop when they hit 6 months old, it is an ongoing commitment.

My best advice would be to go to a decent dog rehoming centre (eg; Dogs Trust) where they are properly assessed, trained and matched to your abilities/circumstances. If you are going to go for a pedigree make your choice based on how responsible the breeder is and their reputation for producing relaxed, well behaved puppies, not just the breed itself.

I personally would never buy a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel because of how common breed related health conditions are (ie; mitral valve disease +/- congestive heart failure, keratoconjunctivitis sicca, syringomyelia, chiari malformation, etc). They can have endearing temperaments but if you are going to get one make sure you are properly insured.

ReputationRep:
    King Charles Cavalier Spaniels are known for their really bad health and renowned for bad breeding too. Try researching into it, I know every dog has health issues but this is particularly bad and don't want to be spending loads on vet bills.

ReputationRep:
    Springer spaniel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    French Bulldog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French...og#Temperament

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.