The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

MSc Brand Leadership or Marketing

Hi guys

I just got conditional offer from UEA for the MSc Brand Leadership this year. The sad thing is the conditional offer, the course requires 7 in IELTS with at least 6.5 in each component but unfortunately I got 6 in sp and wr (still 7.0 overall though) and it seems like I have to take a 8 week pre-sessional course. I am wondering if I should change to MSc marketing which only requre 6.5 IELTS. As an oversea student, it would cost a great deal of money to study pre-sessional :frown:

I have learned a bit about Brand Leadership through an interview with the course director and from a current student, but still the information bout this course from students is very limited to help me to decide. Is it worth the extra money and time :frown:
Plz help me guys :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by BasicallyIdoWork
Hi guys

I just got conditional offer from UEA for the MSc Brand Leadership this year. The sad thing is the conditional offer, the course requires 7 in IELTS with at least 6.5 in each component but unfortunately I got 6 in sp and wr (still 7.0 overall though) and it seems like I have to take a 8 week pre-sessional course. I am wondering if I should change to MSc marketing which only requre 6.5 IELTS. As an oversea student, it would cost a great deal of money to study pre-sessional :frown:

I have learned a bit about Brand Leadership through an interview with the course director and from a current student, but still the information bout this course from students is very limited to help me to decide. Is it worth the extra money and time :frown:
Plz help me guys :frown:

I also looked into the course and although it does seem interesting and contemporary, UEA doesn't hold any reputation for business studies and the course seems to pretty much run as a brand of Wolff Olins with a very high price. I hear the course is not that well balanced and everything that is not lectured by the Wolff Olins guy is not that great. Also the course is quite new, so doesn't hold a reputation within the field yet. It might be interesting to take the risk but it depends on your background. I've decided to go to Marketing instead because I come from a creative field and I want to acquire more background in business. Also, many Marketing courses have a similar contemporary intake, including brand management/strategy modules.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Fabstone
I also looked into the course and although it does seem interesting and contemporary, UEA doesn't hold any reputation for business studies and the course seems to pretty much run as a brand of Wolff Olins with a very high price. I hear the course is not that well balanced and everything that is not lectured by the Wolff Olins guy is not that great. Also the course is quite new, so doesn't hold a reputation within the field yet. It might be interesting to take the risk but it depends on your background. I've decided to go to Marketing instead because I come from a creative field and I want to acquire more background in business. Also, many Marketing courses have a similar contemporary intake, including brand management/strategy modules.

Hi, thank you for your opinion. I am not sure why you believe that UEA doesn't hold any reputation for business studies. If you live in the UK you may know more than me because I only have the league table to compare. From what I've seen, UEA does have the reputation in bussiness and marketing, ranked 24 in business and managemenr study according to TCUG and ranked 25 in Business Management and Marketing according to the guardian. I will put the link below.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-business-management-and-marketing

The program is quite new indeed and i've heared about this just 2-3 months ago and it is dificult to find information about this besides the UEA websites, but it stated that "This degree has been approved and accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) to provide direct entry onto the CIM's Professional Diploma in Marketing." so I guess it is something.

I studied business and management before so I just do not actually like to study it again at this level. Hazzzz, I am so confusing right now :frown:
Reply 3
Hi, thank you for your opinion. I am not sure why you believe that UEA doesn't hold any reputation for business studies. If you live in the UK you may know more than me because I only have the league table to compare. From what I've seen, UEA does have the reputation in bussiness and marketing, ranked 24 in business and managemenr study according to TCUG and ranked 25 in Business Management and Marketing according to the guardian. I will put the link below.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+%26+Management+Studies
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-business-management-and-marketing

The program is quite new indeed and i've heared about this just 2-3 months ago and it is dificult to find information about this besides the UEA websites, but it stated that "This degree has been approved and accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) to provide direct entry onto the CIM's Professional Diploma in Marketing." so I guess it is something.

I studied business and management before so I just do not actually like to study it again at this level. Hazzzz, I am so confusing right now :frown:

24/25 for me is not really something that catches my attention. I focused my efforts in the Top5/10 best one in the country. But UEA as a whole does have a growing reputation, especially amongst the young universities share.
If you come from business management and want a course focused on Branding to give you a creative intake in brand management, I'd say go for it. I like the course. It's just that for me it wasn't the right time as I already come from a creative background and actually decided to further my studies in something more classic business-related subject. Ask them to put you in contact with an alumnus, check on Linkedin, ready their yearbooks. They put a lot of effort in this course to make it more known (the website, the videos, everything is quite well done).
24/25 for me is not really something that catches my attention. I focused my efforts in the Top5/10 best one in the country. But UEA as a whole does have a growing reputation, especially amongst the young universities share.
If you come from business management and want a course focused on Branding to give you a creative intake in brand management, I'd say go for it. I like the course. It's just that for me it wasn't the right time as I already come from a creative background and actually decided to further my studies in something more classic business-related subject. Ask them to put you in contact with an alumnus, check on Linkedin, ready their yearbooks. They put a lot of effort in this course to make it more known (the website, the videos, everything is quite well done).

Oh sure, around 20 - 30 is already pretty high for the international student like me. I did not dare to apply for the top 5 because I think the work would be extremely demanding, the tuition is really high as well. Did you apply for any of those top universities?, I wanted to apply for Durham but my agent said that it would be extremely difficult to get an offer from the top 10.

I've already managed to get in touch with a current student, it is now time of examination so we haven't had time to discuss a lot but from what I've heared the course sounds very promising. So are you going to UEA for MSc Marketing this year? That would be amazing to talk with someone from the creative field :biggrin:
Reply 5
Oh sure, around 20 - 30 is already pretty high for the international student like me. I did not dare to apply for the top 5 because I think the work would be extremely demanding, the tuition is really high as well. Did you apply for any of those top universities?, I wanted to apply for Durham but my agent said that it would be extremely difficult to get an offer from the top 10.

I've already managed to get in touch with a current student, it is now time of examination so we haven't had time to discuss a lot but from what I've heared the course sounds very promising. So are you going to UEA for MSc Marketing this year? That would be amazing to talk with someone from the creative field :biggrin:

I don't think you should be afraid of applying. What would you have to lose? Unless your grades don't match the entry requirement, you should try. I can't afford Imperial/CASS/Warwick, so I didn't apply. I've applied for everything else I could afford and that Was the best it could be and I got accepted by most of them, including Durham. There are so many reputable ones. Lancaster, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Nottingham, etc etc.

but do whatever you think it's best for you. Just don't be afraid to try because of maybe not getting it :wink:

Out of curiosity, what ranking have you checked?
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think you should be afraid of applying. What would you have to lose? Unless your grades don't match the entry requirement, you should try. I can't afford Imperial/CASS/Warwick, so I didn't apply. I've applied for everything else I could afford and that Was the best it could be and I got accepted by most of them, including Durham. There are so many reputable ones. Lancaster, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Nottingham, etc etc.

but do whatever you think it's best for you. Just don't be afraid to try because of maybe not getting it :wink:

Out of curiosity, what ranking have you checked?

It is a bit more complicated for international students, at least for Vietnamese students like me so we have to choose carefully before applying, normally 2 universities at maximum. I want to apply for the universities in the top 20 so I have looked through several ones including Durham as you already know, LSE which is rediculously expensive both in tuition fee and living expense, Lancaster is a very good option but I like to live in the South because people say that the weather is better, Southampton which has fairly good reputation in MKT and the City of Southamton is beautiful and close to Bovington tank museum , UEA which I had absolutely no idea months ago, and some others.

I finally decided to go for UEA and Southampton, MSc Brand Leadership at UEA and MSc Digital Marketing at Southampton. The tution fees and entry requirements are relatively the same, living in Southampton would be a bit more expensive I believe.
Reply 7
It is a bit more complicated for international students, at least for Vietnamese students like me so we have to choose carefully before applying, normally 2 universities at maximum. I want to apply for the universities in the top 20 so I have looked through several ones including Durham as you already know, LSE which is rediculously expensive both in tuition fee and living expense, Lancaster is a very good option but I like to live in the South because people say that the weather is better, Southampton which has fairly good reputation in MKT and the City of Southamton is beautiful and close to Bovington tank museum , UEA which I had absolutely no idea months ago, and some others.

I finally decided to go for UEA and Southampton, MSc Brand Leadership at UEA and MSc Digital Marketing at Southampton. The tution fees and entry requirements are relatively the same, living in Southampton would be a bit more expensive I believe.

If you are particularly interested in branding, then go UEA. that's what I'd suggest, then. LSE doesn't have marketing. Do they?
And UEA tuition is 16k. Quite steep as well. Not that far from the higher band ones.
Do whatever you may think it's the best for you regardless of rankings.
If you are particularly interested in branding, then go UEA. that's what I'd suggest, then. LSE doesn't have marketing. Do they?
And UEA tuition is 16k. Quite steep as well. Not that far from the higher band ones.
Do whatever you may think it's the best for you regardless of rankings.

LSE dosen't have master program in MKT, I used to want to apply for MSc Management and Strategy at LSE. I got a scholarship of 3K - 4K as an oversea student, it will be around 13K. Still quite high but it should be fine as long as the course is useful and enjoyable. I will take the risk then. Thank you and see you at UEA this year :biggrin:

Are you studying MSc Brand Leadership 2015 too? I'm also from Vietnam.
Original post by Two Nguyen
Are you studying MSc Brand Leadership 2015 too? I'm also from Vietnam.

Hi there

I am glad to hear about this. Yes, I am Vietnamese and I am going to do the Brand Leadership course this year. In fact, I have already arrived to Norwich. Please contact me via my FB:
https://www.facebook.com/thinh.nguyen1708

It is nice to see a Vietnamese fellow doing the same course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending