Turn on thread page Beta

The English Centre Back watch

ReputationRep:
    Think about how much the game has changed in the past 25 years, but yet we all obsess over our centre half being a proper English bloke. South Americans and Frenchmen may be suitable for attacking roles, and those accessory roles but only an Englishman is suitable to lead the defence. Preferably he should be from the London area but also be vaguely respectable.

The classic examples are Bobby Moore, Tony Adams and Jonh Terry

These are surely the kind of men who the British army fought Waterloo, the Somme and the Bulge with. Tough, unflinching soldiers, we see CBs as men of the working class who will throw themselves into any battle without question, living, breathing representations who all the foreign stars can gather around, but never quite understand. How could Robert Pires understand what it meant to be an Arsenal man but for Tony Adams of Romford beside him? Can Didier Drogba without Jon Terry?

It is in my opinion, the only position that Englishmen think we know better than foreigners at.

ReputationRep:
    Fabio colloccini

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to say that John Terry was probably the most pikey guy, from the most pikey family, ever to play for England.

Unbelievable CB, but we all know if JT wasnt a footballer he'd midway through a stretch in Pentonville. With his dad as cellmate and with his mother not far in Holloway Womens Prison.

Chelsea Family

Come to think about it, Crimewatch is like MOTD 1.5 for Chelsea fans.

But even respectable clubs tend to prefer English CBs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Foreigners' are the ones winning the World Cups, though.

ReputationRep:
    Mike Williamson is top 5 CBs in the game and he's English.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for satire and such, but you put way too much effort into this.

ReputationRep:
    Zurich's lost his trolling touch. Way to obvious and you go in too hard and too fast (giggidy). You gotta slowly build it up subtley over a period of time, purposefully overuse a word or two, until you've got the entire thread being #salty towards you.

Love how Zurich keeps using the same image even though he knows its fake, and that's its fine for Arsenal fans to sing about gassing Jewish Spurs fans because #marblehalls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Think about how much the game has changed in the past 25 years, but yet we all obsess over our centre half being a proper English bloke. South Americans and Frenchmen may be suitable for attacking roles, and those accessory roles but only an Englishman is suitable to lead the defence. Preferably he should be from the London area but also be vaguely respectable.

The classic examples are Bobby Moore, Tony Adams and Jonh Terry

These are surely the kind of men who the British army fought Waterloo, the Somme and the Bulge with. Tough, unflinching soldiers, we see CBs as men of the working class who will throw themselves into any battle without question, living, breathing representations who all the foreign stars can gather around, but never quite understand. How could Robert Pires understand what it meant to be an Arsenal man but for Tony Adams of Romford beside him? Can Didier Drogba without Jon Terry?

It is in my opinion, the only position that Englishmen think we know better than foreigners at.
    Although this is quite obviously a trolling post, I just have two names for you: Carles Puyol and Giorgio Chiellini. Therefore, your statement is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Puyol? Great shout.

Chiellini? Great Banter.

This is a thread about English players anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Puyol? Great shout.

Chiellini? Great Banter.

This is a thread about English players anyway.
    I was trying to refute his point - "South Americans and Frenchmen may be suitable for attacking roles, and those accessory roles but only an Englishman is suitable to lead the defence." - with the examples of foreign centre-backs who are great leaders.

And I agree that Chiellini is a diver/cheat at times, but he is undoubtedly a solid defender who leads his team well; Puyol, as you have alluded to, is on another level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Zurich's lost his trolling touch. Way to obvious and you go in too hard and too fast (giggidy). You gotta slowly build it up subtley over a period of time, purposefully overuse a word or two, until you've got the entire thread being #salty towards you.

Love how Zurich keeps using the same image even though he knows its fake, and that's its fine for Arsenal fans to sing about gassing Jewish Spurs fans because #marblehalls
    The Red Army killed millions for the greater good, and in response to aggression.

The Nazis aggressively started attacking.

Now, which one are the Arsenal, and which one are Chelski?

I'll give you a clue, the Chelsea boys stand around raising funds for the 'BNP'

ReputationRep:
    Not working mate, your agenda is too obvious. 2/10

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the only reason Bobby Moore is held in high regard is because he is the only CB England has ever produced who could have justifiably been considered the best in the world. John Terry comes close, and for me personally, Sol Campbell and Jamie Carragher were round out best English center backs that I have seen in my life time. Not John Terry's class but close. It's easy to hate on John Terry, but he's blue-collar as they come (same with Carragher) and they roll up their sleeves and lay it all on the line.

The thing is, Bobby Moore was never a 'blood and guts' type defender, (Terry Butcher!) but he was excellent on the ball like Ferdinand, and had great instincts and interceptions. He was so good, that he didn't really need to tackle. Phil Thompson and Emlyn Hughes are good shouts in terms of quality English CBs too.

(Original post by Paul Krugman)
    Although this is quite obviously a trolling post, I just have two names for you: Carles Puyol and Giorgio Chiellini. Therefore, your statement is invalid.
    Rep for the Catalan Lion, CARLES PUYOL!!!! :yes: Honestly, Carles Puyol is my most favorite CB to have ever played.

Giorgio Chiellini has improved so much defensively, and he's starting to be recognized in his own right. Andrea Barzagli, is a better pure defender though. He's a little bit past it, but, Nemanja Vidic has so much of the qualities you would typically associate with an English center back.

South American CBs get a lot of stick, but Walter Samuel, Lucio, Juan, challenge the stereotype.

Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Franz Beckenbauer, Lilian Thuram are some of the best ever too. I know it's about English center backs, but ultimately only Bobby Moore holds a candle to them.

ReputationRep:
    South American CBs are quite good over history but English CBs were solid and until about 2010 or so were always dependable, Englands NT worst CB was Carragher at one point and now you have guys like Jones and Smalling starting and Jagielka which is rather worrying.

Terry is in that conversation personally, same for Carvalho how many times did you see Chelsea do a defensive shutout to these WC players during their time? Also conceded 15 goals in 38 games and had 29 clean sheets. Maldini did get into that level too but if you wanted to rely on a defensive shut out they were your men. Rio Ferdinand too, the 07-09 United teams were great at shutouts, just look at their game vs Barcelona in the semi finals.

Right now about two defenders are as dependable as John Terry in the game and he's 34 years old. Think he gets an unfair stick over his personal issues which ruins his reputation as a WC defender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Honestly, the only reason Bobby Moore is held in high regard is because he is the only CB England has ever produced who could have justifiably been considered the best in the world. John Terry comes close, and for me personally, Sol Campbell and Jamie Carragher were round out best English center backs that I have seen in my life time. Not John Terry's class but close. It's easy to hate on John Terry, but he's blue-collar as they come (same with Carragher) and they roll up their sleeves and lay it all on the line.

The thing is, Bobby Moore was never a 'blood and guts' type defender, (Terry Butcher!) but he was excellent on the ball like Ferdinand, and had great instincts and interceptions. He was so good, that he didn't really need to tackle. Phil Thompson and Emlyn Hughes are good shouts in terms of quality English CBs too.

Rep for the Catalan Lion, CARLES PUYOL!!!! :yes: Honestly, Carles Puyol is my most favorite CB to have ever played.

Giorgio Chiellini has improved so much defensively, and he's starting to be recognized in his own right. Andrea Barzagli, is a better pure defender though. He's a little bit past it, but, Nemanja Vidic has so much of the qualities you would typically associate with an English center back.

South American CBs get a lot of stick, but Walter Samuel, Lucio, Juan, challenge the stereotype.

Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Franz Beckenbauer, Lilian Thuram are some of the best ever too. I know it's about English center backs, but ultimately only Bobby Moore holds a candle to them.
    Great/extensive list of top-class centre-backs, but a major omission - possibly the only one - is Fabio Cannavaro.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam277)
    South American CBs are quite good over history but English CBs were solid and until about 2010 or so were always dependable, Englands NT worst CB was Carragher at one point and now you have guys like Jones and Smalling starting and Jagielka which is rather worrying.

Terry is in that conversation personally, same for Carvalho how many times did you see Chelsea do a defensive shutout to these WC players during their time? Also conceded 15 goals in 38 games and had 29 clean sheets. Maldini did get into that level too but if you wanted to rely on a defensive shut out they were your men. Rio Ferdinand too, the 07-09 United teams were great at shutouts, just look at their game vs Barcelona in the semi finals.

Right now about two defenders are as dependable as John Terry in the game and he's 34 years old. Think he gets an unfair stick over his personal issues which ruins his reputation as a WC defender.
    Ferdinand, Terry, King, Woodgate, Carragher at one stage.

From that, to Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Stones and Jagielka in a decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Ferdinand, Terry, King, Woodgate, Carragher at one stage.

From that, to Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Stones and Jagielka in a decade.
    Campbell as well

ReputationRep:
    Haven't watched Chelsea play in a long time so I have little emotional investment in this, but Zurich's posts are like being back at primary school.

You always have the girl who says she hates boys, that they smell, that they have 'cuties', deep down she just wants your attention. The sad thing is, rather than being a 7 year old girl, he is a 20-something year old man.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by difeo)
    Campbell as well
    So true. Should have got the winner against Argentina in 98, and Portugal in 04.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    So true. Should have got the winner against Argentina in 98.
    Nah, Shearer outright elbowed the keeper. If that had been the other way round and the ref allowed the goal, the fans would be sending the ref death threats and the guy would be retired 5 years early.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.