The Student Room Group

Failed?!

I did my history exam yesterday and one of the questions I was asked was "To what extent was China's intervention in Vietnam the most important factor in deciding it's outcome"
I answered it by giving about 3 reasons why it was important, 1 reason why it wasn't important, and 1 other factor which may have been the most important. I know I probably should have included more alternative factors, but have I completely bombed or will I have done okay with this structure? :frown::s-smilie:
You're the only other person on here that I've seen that's answered the China question! Seems everyone picked the Nixon one, even though only 2 people in my class picked that one. This is what I put:
I was a bit iffy on the question so I mentioned..
-China was important; MacArthur stubbornness to roll-back communism led him too close to Chinese border + ignored orders- without Chinese intervention NK would've been pushed further back into top of their territory- America/SK would've won. Chinese pushed them back behind 38th parallel, 300 mile humiliating retreat for solders. This shows how China intervention changed the course and outcome of the war.
-Then mentioned other factors leading to the outcome of the war; Truman change in policy from roll-back to containment, and election of Eisenhower made NK worried due to tough stance on communism.
-Conc: China intervention most important as without them America/SK would've won etc..

Your structure seems fine to me :3 Did you do a conclusion that was a judgement and not a summary? That is what gets you into the higher band. E.g China intervention was/ was not important in deciding outcome because...
I really don't think you can know for sure how you've done based on paragraph headings. As long as your response was analytical and focused on the question there you should be OK. Your approach may make it difficult to get L5 but wouldn't necessarily rule out L4. I know on here the Nixon question seems to have been popular but most of my students opted for the Korea question. I really wouldn't panic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending