Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! a few months ago I got a conditional offer from Exeter for LLB Law! I also got conditionals from Durham and QM London. I was planning on having Durham as my firm and QM as my insurance but after how my IBs went im changing to Exeter as my insurance and Durham as my firm. ANYWAY... I have a few questions about Exeter, the student life in general as i have no doubt the education is top notch.

1) First of all im very much interested in music, rock music specifically, and the firt thing im planning on doing any university I go is to put together a band , practice for a couple of months and do gigs. would I be able to find people/venues to ply with/at?

2) Aside from music im into football as well (cant say im very good). ive played for my school as a defender for three year so i have a bit of experience playing with a team. how open are the sports teams in Exeter to people with any level of experience with a sport?

3) this is the most important part... where im from in Turkey is veryvery VERY BORING. nothing to do, all you can do is go to bars and as much as i like it, it gets boring after the 10000000 time. how diverse is Exeter? concerts, theater, festivals? how active is the student community in organizing events?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    anyone? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solair)
    Hey guys! a few months ago I got a conditional offer from Exeter for LLB Law! I also got conditionals from Durham and QM London. I was planning on having Durham as my firm and QM as my insurance but after how my IBs went im changing to Exeter as my insurance and Durham as my firm. ANYWAY... I have a few questions about Exeter, the student life in general as i have no doubt the education is top notch.

1) First of all im very much interested in music, rock music specifically, and the firt thing im planning on doing any university I go is to put together a band , practice for a couple of months and do gigs. would I be able to find people/venues to ply with/at?

2) Aside from music im into football as well (cant say im very good). ive played for my school as a defender for three year so i have a bit of experience playing with a team. how open are the sports teams in Exeter to people with any level of experience with a sport?

3) this is the most important part... where im from in Turkey is veryvery VERY BORING. nothing to do, all you can do is go to bars and as much as i like it, it gets boring after the 10000000 time. how diverse is Exeter? concerts, theater, festivals? how active is the student community in organizing events?

thanks!
    Hey!

1) The university music scene is quite broad! There is a society called Campus Bands (which I am part of) and in the beginning of the year (during Freshers Week) it holds quite a few events so that you can meet other people interested in music and there was even a jam session which I took part in. In the same jam session I met my now-bandmates, so it's really not that hard to find people to play with! Besides that, you can email Campus Bands if you're looking for a band and they will forward the message to all the other campus bands members with your details and etc.

As for venues to play, the most 'rock'-y club that comes to mind is Cavern, which is a bar with a stage and there are concerts every week, mostly rock ones. I don't know how easy or hard it is to get to play there. There are other venues that you can try out too.

2) During Freshers Week there are 'taster' sessions for football which you can come to, where you basically train and play for a few hours. If you like it, then there will be more serious sessions held after that where you can go and try out for the team. There are different teams as far as I know, based on skill level.

If you're into more casual games then I would definitely recommend Intramural Football, which I play in. Basically it's 6v6 matches once a week. Your team can be either from a course (for example there is a Business Society Team, Geography society etc) or you can do like I did and get a group of friends (7 of us) and register to play (you have to pay around £300 as a team in total at the beginning of the year). Then you are entered into an Intramural League with different divisions and you play two matches once a week. It's really good fun and I've been doing that from September until March. I found it much better for me than the more serious team as it doesn't require as much time commitment and skill.

3) The social life is quite good. Exeter itself isn't a big city, but there's still stuff to do. There are two or three good nightclubs and quite a few good bars as well. Plus there's stuff to do on campus as well. Don't know of any festivals here, however there must be some closeby (for example Bristol is only an hour away by train). If you make a lot of friends in your accommodation and your course then you should have plenty of stuff to do!

Hope it helped, feel free to ask more things if you want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solair)

thanks!
    Just to add to the previous reply, there is also a magazine called 'Pear Shaped' which rounds up all the music events in the city (http://pearshapedexeter.com/) so that might give you a good idea about the music scene. I don't play much sport at Exeter so I can't really give much of an insight into that side of things I'm afraid. As for the diversity, as someone from a rural community at home I would say that there is lots to do here. We have the RAM Museum which always has new exhibitions on, the Northcott Theatre on campus, but there are also other productions which go on around the city. The Firehouse has to be the quirkiest pub that you will ever go to, apparently it inspired 'The Leaky Cauldron' in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter. The Quay is really lovely to go down to and Double Locks pub along the canal is well worth a visit. There are quite a few festivals: off the top of my head I know that there is a poetry festival and a food festival, but I am sure that there are more that I have inconveniently forgotten about for now. There are some good musicians who come to perform at the Lemon Grove as well. I can't possibly list everything, but there is certainly lots to discover. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.