Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter will be 21 in July. From July she will have been working full time for 3 years. She has been living at home with myself and her step dad during that time. As she begins to apply for student finance would she be entitled to apply for a maintenance grant rather than a loan? Is this applied for in the same way?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

If the student has worked for 3 years prior to the beginning of her course then she can apply as independent and supply evidence of this such as P60s. She will essentially be assessed with a £0 household income and be given the maximum grant available as well as a loan for tuition and maintenance if she asks for these.

Everything can be applied for on the same form, yes.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. she has begun the process of applying this week and you are right they asked for P60s or payslips or a letter from her employer confirming that she has been working. She did ask to apply for a maintenance loan as well but there has been no request to assess our household income in connection with that as yet. I assume that will follow?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    If she is classed as an Independent Student we will not need to see any other household income.

From the date we receive this evidence from her it can take around two weeks to be processed. We will then send her a Notification of Entitlement letter to show the funding that we will pay to her.

Thanks

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.