Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in photography but also in advertising and how advertises utilise knowledge of the psychosocial impact of imagery on the perosn. In the case of advertisers - as markeitng strategied to influence the target consumer.

So I want to do something practical as well as theoretical involving the direct use of imagery and rendering of imagery, psyhcology advertising and marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Te346)
    I'm interested in photography but also in advertising and how advertises utilise knowledge of the psychosocial impact of imagery on the perosn. In the case of advertisers - as markeitng strategied to influence the target consumer.

So I want to do something practical as well as theoretical involving the direct use of imagery and rendering of imagery, psyhcology advertising and marketing.
    Without looking I'm not sure there are named degrees of that sort of ilk but you can do an Open degree then you are free to choose (small amount of restriction if some modules require prerequestites) whatever modules you like and then you can tailor your degree to your own interests and needs. Also if need to use for a CV people list it as Open Degree (<Main subject Name>) to indicate what subject was mainly studied and most employers do look at the modules taken not just the degree name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Te346)

In a nutshell the answer is no... you could do physiology or biology but that would only gain you info on psychological or biological impacts; there is no photography degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You might, possibly, find the Design modules (U101, T217, T317) interesting - they have a fairly practical slant to them; you design things/make models/consider the wants/needs of users - in combination with some Psychology modules, maybe. But, they're really more about product design than anything specifically advertising or psychology related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    You might, possibly, find the Design modules (U101, T217, T317) interesting - they have a fairly practical slant to them; you design things/make models/consider the wants/needs of users - in combination with some Psychology modules, maybe. But, they're really more about product design than anything specifically advertising or psychology related.
    That sounds pretty cool actually. Do you need any prior experience in anything design related?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Te346)
    That sounds pretty cool actually. Do you need any prior experience in anything design related?
    Nope, none at all. To give you an idea what's involved - though the exact content of the assignments may well change from year to year - for me U101 involved designing a t-shirt, collaborating with classmates to decide on an everyday problem and then proposing a design solution for it, creating a board game, and then a project based around a fairly broad theme. The module literally starts you off with things like 'here's a roll of masking tape, go make a banana from it' and it's generally just really fun. T217 is a bit more serious -for that, my assignments involved producing designs for a chair, a household storage solution, an IKEA hack, and then a bigger assignment based around a park which you could respond to in lots of ways - and there's an exam, which is like a 3-hour mini design project. This module gets more into human factors in design, how to research user needs, inclusive design, considering different materials, the stages of a design project, different design philosophies; that sort of thing. There's also quite a bit of orthographic drawing. Dunno about the Level 3 module - I'm planning to do that next year - but I think it gets more into sustainability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    Nope, none at all. To give you an idea what's involved - though the exact content of the assignments may well change from year to year - for me U101 involved designing a t-shirt, collaborating with classmates to decide on an everyday problem and then proposing a design solution for it, creating a board game, and then a project based around a fairly broad theme. The module literally starts you off with things like 'here's a roll of masking tape, go make a banana from it' and it's generally just really fun. T217 is a bit more serious -for that, my assignments involved producing designs for a chair, a household storage solution, an IKEA hack, and then a bigger assignment based around a park which you could respond to in lots of ways - and there's an exam, which is like a 3-hour mini design project. This module gets more into human factors in design, how to research user needs, inclusive design, considering different materials, the stages of a design project, different design philosophies; that sort of thing. There's also quite a bit of orthographic drawing. Dunno about the Level 3 module - I'm planning to do that next year - but I think it gets more into sustainability.

This degree sounds fantastic. Would you say it touches on anything similar to interior design / furniture design / landscape design? If not, Which subjects would you say the BA in Design and Innovation course focuses on? (like from Maths, Psychology, Biology etc..)

Also, how much of Maths and Physics are needed on this course? I am very rusty on my Maths atm, I really lack the confidence for attempting Maths now.

Thank youuuuuuuu xxxx

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.