The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews University Offer Holders for 2015 Entry

Hello!

I've been searching Student Room for a thread like this and was unable to locate one, so I figured I would start one myself.

I am from Scotland, and have accepted an unconditional offer to study English Literature at the University of St Andrews.

So far the University have emailed me with a Student ID to enable me to apply for Accommodation, and I have done so. Other than that, I haven't heard from them.

Reply to this thread if you've got an offer for St Andrews, I'd love to hear from some people starting at the Uni at the same time as me! And it would be interesting to see what everyone is studying, as well as how much contact they've had with the Uni - just so I don't start panicking that I haven't heard anything further!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! My name's Fiona and I'm going to be starting in September too, but as an economics student. I've actually been on a leave of absence for the past semester as I wanted to change my degree quite dramatically (I started in 2014 as a chemistry student!) so it'll be interesting to begin again with a slightly different perspective- as such, if you've got any questions, I'm happy to help either over the forum or through PM, or I can try and put you in touch with someone who knows more!

Anyway, I'm 18 and from Fife, Scotland. I'm going to be working in John Burnet Hall over the summer, and a few of my friends are working in other halls which should be fun!

I'm really excited to get stuck in and try lots of new things this year, and your friends outside of St Andrews may be a bit shocked by the different activities we get up to compared to some universities :smile: I remember the first time I slipped up and started talking about how my 'sister' and 'dad' had some really strong chemistry and the whole 'family' was hoping they'd get together... Definitely needs some context out of the St andrews bubble! I've been to balls, torchlit processions, Vic nights, acapella concerts, Raisin weekend (including a dip in the North Sea at 7am!), lecture series and an awful lot of nando nights :tongue: there is something for everyone though!

Due to my circumstances as well I'm classed as a returning student, so I'll be in Albany Park this year- we find out a lot earlier than entrant students! Last time I was one of the last to find out as I live very close by, so it's a nice change. I was in standard catered (Gannochy House) last year, which is an annexe of Sallies so we were part of the community but in a separate building. Both were lovely halls though, with their own little characteristics.

I'll be honest now, the university won't send you much information at this stage, but don't worry! There's now actually that much they can say, but they do love you, really <3

I've also just realised how much I've written, so I'm going to cut off here. I can't wait to meet everyone in September!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by JTR__
Hi there! My name's Fiona and I'm going to be starting in September too, but as an economics student. I've actually been on a leave of absence for the past semester as I wanted to change my degree quite dramatically (I started in 2014 as a chemistry student!) so it'll be interesting to begin again with a slightly different perspective- as such, if you've got any questions, I'm happy to help either over the forum or through PM, or I can try and put you in touch with someone who knows more!

Anyway, I'm 18 and from Fife, Scotland. I'm going to be working in John Burnet Hall over the summer, and a few of my friends are working in other halls which should be fun!

I'm really excited to get stuck in and try lots of new things this year, and your friends outside of St Andrews may be a bit shocked by the different activities we get up to compared to some universities :smile: I remember the first time I slipped up and started talking about how my 'sister' and 'dad' had some really strong chemistry and the whole 'family' was hoping they'd get together... Definitely needs some context out of the St andrews bubble! I've been to balls, torchlit processions, Vic nights, acapella concerts, Raisin weekend (including a dip in the North Sea at 7am!), lecture series and an awful lot of nando nights :tongue: there is something for everyone though!

Due to my circumstances as well I'm classed as a returning student, so I'll be in Albany Park this year- we find out a lot earlier than entrant students! Last time I was one of the last to find out as I live very close by, so it's a nice change. I was in standard catered (Gannochy House) last year, which is an annexe of Sallies so we were part of the community but in a separate building. Both were lovely halls though, with their own little characteristics.

I'll be honest now, the university won't send you much information at this stage, but don't worry! There's now actually that much they can say, but they do love you, really <3

I've also just realised how much I've written, so I'm going to cut off here. I can't wait to meet everyone in September!

Hiya Fiona! Thank you for replying, and with such a detailed answer too :biggrin:

Sorry to be nosy, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how come you decided to change your degree? That would be great to have someone with experience of the Uni to answer any questions, thanks :biggrin:

What does working in Halls involve? That sounds interesting.

Hahaha your review of St Andrews makes the Uni sound ace, I'm really excited to get started :biggrin: I've heard about the Family system, it sounds like it's a really good way to make friends etc, but I can see how it might sound a bit peculiar to anyone not at the Uni! One of the biggest worries about going to Uni would be making new friends, but it seems like there is a lot going on - so plenty of opportunities to meet new people!

Albany Park is my second choice for accommodation, my first being ensuite self-catered :smile:

Haha that's good; I actually got my registry email straight after I set up this thread, ironically.

Thanks again for your reply, it was really insightful :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by EnglishLitFan
Hiya Fiona! Thank you for replying, and with such a detailed answer too :biggrin:

Sorry to be nosy, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how come you decided to change your degree? That would be great to have someone with experience of the Uni to answer any questions, thanks :biggrin:

What does working in Halls involve? That sounds interesting.

Hahaha your review of St Andrews makes the Uni sound ace, I'm really excited to get started :biggrin: I've heard about the Family system, it sounds like it's a really good way to make friends etc, but I can see how it might sound a bit peculiar to anyone not at the Uni! One of the biggest worries about going to Uni would be making new friends, but it seems like there is a lot going on - so plenty of opportunities to meet new people!

Albany Park is my second choice for accommodation, my first being ensuite self-catered :smile:

Haha that's good; I actually got my registry email straight after I set up this thread, ironically.

Thanks again for your reply, it was really insightful :biggrin:

Haha it's alright, I know how worrying it can be to not have any info!

In the summer before S6, I started to become quite interested in economics and international modern history, but ultimately decided- with the input of my parents and chemistry teacher- that my school subject choices were leading me into the respected chemistry degree, as I did enjoy school level chemistry and science in general. When I reached uni level though, I just spent the whole semester resenting the subject, but I'd chosen my other modules to fit in with chemistry (maths and bio) so I had to leave if I wanted a fresh start.

I know a couple of people who work in the kitchens serving/cooking during term, but I'm going to be mainly housekeeping over the holidays with a little catering/reception work. Some halls turn into hotels over the summer whilst others are rented out to summer schools. Most halls will be either catering work or housekeeping, but I'm in one of the smallest so everyone just pitches in! They also let student workers live in Andrew Melville over the summer for a fairly decent rent which is nice :smile:

The family system is so much fun, and it means you know older students who can guide you through your first year. don't worry about meeting people though, everyone is in the same boat! There are events on all over town during freshers, and don't feel silly going solo.

Whilst I enjoyed being catered, I'd definitely like to learn to cook this year! Don't quote me on this, but you are quite likely to get ensuite self-catered if it is your first choice, as they have quite a big supply of it :smile: wherever you end up though you'll have a fab, if slightly different experience.
Reply 4
Hi, my name is Yasmin. Usually I don't write in boards like this, but now I'm so exited that I have to do it.
I'm from Germany and I'm going to St. Andrews for one abroad semester as a postgraduate taught student.

For me it is the first time that I'll be abroad for a longer period, and everything is so different than at my home university.
So maybe I'm not an undergrade student but I'm helpless and new, too.

I totally forgot to mention what I'm going to study. In Germany I'm studying protestant Theology, in St. Andrews I'll study reformation history. In my regular studies reformation history is part of Theology. Like i said everything is different.

Before the semester start in september I'm going to do a 4-weeks preasessional english course in august. Until then I hope you all can forgive me for my mistakes i make and will make.
And here a funny fact @Fiona, during the english course I will live in John Burnet Hall :smile:. In september I'll move to David Russel Apartments.

I'm so exited about everything, will I meet nice people? What must I take with me? ( clothes etc)And how will it be to be far away from home. And of course will I find a topic for my finalpaper? ( thats why I'm going to study reformation history) And so many questions more.

Oh and I hadn't that much contakt either. I'm still waiting for the username and so on. But in the mail from the english course they said that we'll get all further information in a month before starting. So I think you don't have to worry.
Hopefully the informations will come in july or august. This was the same in Germany . I had to apply in july, the offer arrived fast but the next thing I heard from the university was in september and in october started my first semester.

I hope to read more from you it is very helpfull to see that I'm not alone :smile:
Reply 5
Second postgrad of the thread reporting in! I'm Owen, I'll be starting a master's in artificial intelligence in September. I haven't visited St Andrews yet, but I'll be taking a trip up probably in June just for a couple of days to see the place. Google Streetview says it looks stunning. :biggrin: Apparently I'll be living in Angus House!
Reply 6
Original post by YasV
Hi, my name is Yasmin. Usually I don't write in boards like this, but now I'm so exited that I have to do it.
I'm from Germany and I'm going to St. Andrews for one abroad semester as a postgraduate taught student.

For me it is the first time that I'll be abroad for a longer period, and everything is so different than at my home university.
So maybe I'm not an undergrade student but I'm helpless and new, too.

I totally forgot to mention what I'm going to study. In Germany I'm studying protestant Theology, in St. Andrews I'll study reformation history. In my regular studies reformation history is part of Theology. Like i said everything is different.

Before the semester start in september I'm going to do a 4-weeks preasessional english course in august. Until then I hope you all can forgive me for my mistakes i make and will make.
And here a funny fact @Fiona, during the english course I will live in John Burnet Hall :smile:. In september I'll move to David Russel Apartments.

I'm so exited about everything, will I meet nice people? What must I take with me? ( clothes etc)And how will it be to be far away from home. And of course will I find a topic for my finalpaper? ( thats why I'm going to study reformation history) And so many questions more.

Oh and I hadn't that much contakt either. I'm still waiting for the username and so on. But in the mail from the english course they said that we'll get all further information in a month before starting. So I think you don't have to worry.
Hopefully the informations will come in july or august. This was the same in Germany . I had to apply in july, the offer arrived fast but the next thing I heard from the university was in september and in october started my first semester.

I hope to read more from you it is very helpfull to see that I'm not alone :smile:

Hi Yasmin! It sounds so scary to study abroad, hope you enjoy it! I'll probably see you around JBH anyway. Most of the summer staff are students, with the managers being normal staff. It's a fairly small hall so you'll have the chance to get to know everyone at least :smile: there is an international student society I think if you ever struggle being away from home, and a postgraduate society if you want to meet some older students as well. Just go to fresher events and say hello, and you'll meet some wonderful people!

Concerning packing, it really depends how much you are bringing over with you in general. Lots of things can be bought here in the UK, and you won't need everything straight away. One thing I would say is that the university often asks international students to wait and buy adaptors in the UK, as many from other countries don't have a fuse and are deemed unsafe. They are sold at the airport though, or Ryman sells them for £5 in town, and maybe tesco.

Anyway, I hope the next few months aren't too stressful, and I will see you in August!

Here are a couple of things that might help: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/study/documents/international/international-student-handbook.pdf

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15855-what-to-take-to-university
Hi I'm Emily, I have an offer for Social Anthropology, I'm really excited about starting as St Andrews was my first choice by miles :smile:

I've also applied for accommodation, I was wondering if anyone knows when we hear back?

I'm from Oxford so its quite a long way to go, but I think the experience will be worth it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Emily141
Hi I'm Emily, I have an offer for Social Anthropology, I'm really excited about starting as St Andrews was my first choice by miles :smile:

I've also applied for accommodation, I was wondering if anyone knows when we hear back?

I'm from Oxford so its quite a long way to go, but I think the experience will be worth it!

Everything I've read about undergrad accommodation says you should start receiving offers around mid-July. The cutoff for applying is 30th June, so it seems like they accumulate all applications first, crunch them about a bit to find good flatmates per your preferences, and then send out offers. Postgrad offers seem a bit different, I've already received mine, not sure why the disparity, but ho-hum!
Reply 9
Original post by JTR__
Hi Yasmin! It sounds so scary to study abroad, hope you enjoy it! I'll probably see you around JBH anyway. Most of the summer staff are students, with the managers being normal staff. It's a fairly small hall so you'll have the chance to get to know everyone at least :smile: there is an international student society I think if you ever struggle being away from home, and a postgraduate society if you want to meet some older students as well. Just go to fresher events and say hello, and you'll meet some wonderful people!

Concerning packing, it really depends how much you are bringing over with you in general. Lots of things can be bought here in the UK, and you won't need everything straight away. One thing I would say is that the university often asks international students to wait and buy adaptors in the UK, as many from other countries don't have a fuse and are deemed unsafe. They are sold at the airport though, or Ryman sells them for £5 in town, and maybe tesco.

Anyway, I hope the next few months aren't too stressful, and I will see you in August!

Here are a couple of things that might help: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/study/documents/international/international-student-handbook.pdf

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15855-what-to-take-to-university

Thank you so much for the hints! And I know many students who changed their subjects. 99% are happier with their new choices. So I hope this will be the same in your case! good luck!
Original post by Conjuror
Everything I've read about undergrad accommodation says you should start receiving offers around mid-July. The cutoff for applying is 30th June, so it seems like they accumulate all applications first, crunch them about a bit to find good flatmates per your preferences, and then send out offers. Postgrad offers seem a bit different, I've already received mine, not sure why the disparity, but ho-hum!

Okay, still got a while to wait then! Thanks :smile:
Original post by JTR__
Haha it's alright, I know how worrying it can be to not have any info!

In the summer before S6, I started to become quite interested in economics and international modern history, but ultimately decided- with the input of my parents and chemistry teacher- that my school subject choices were leading me into the respected chemistry degree, as I did enjoy school level chemistry and science in general. When I reached uni level though, I just spent the whole semester resenting the subject, but I'd chosen my other modules to fit in with chemistry (maths and bio) so I had to leave if I wanted a fresh start.

I know a couple of people who work in the kitchens serving/cooking during term, but I'm going to be mainly housekeeping over the holidays with a little catering/reception work. Some halls turn into hotels over the summer whilst others are rented out to summer schools. Most halls will be either catering work or housekeeping, but I'm in one of the smallest so everyone just pitches in! They also let student workers live in Andrew Melville over the summer for a fairly decent rent which is nice :smile:

The family system is so much fun, and it means you know older students who can guide you through your first year. don't worry about meeting people though, everyone is in the same boat! There are events on all over town during freshers, and don't feel silly going solo.

Whilst I enjoyed being catered, I'd definitely like to learn to cook this year! Don't quote me on this, but you are quite likely to get ensuite self-catered if it is your first choice, as they have quite a big supply of it :smile: wherever you end up though you'll have a fab, if slightly different experience.

That seems like a good reason to change degrees - it's better to do something you're passionate in or have more of an interest in!

Oh right, that sounds quite good :smile: St Andrews is lovely, I can see why you would want to stay over summer too!

That's great; making new friends was my biggest worry about Uni, especially because I'm the only person from my town/school who's going to St Andrews, so the family system and all of the other events have reassured me a bit :biggrin:

Yeah I'm going Self-Catered in order to force myself to learn to cook! Ooh that's fab, thanks for your reply!
Hi everyone!
My name's Julia. I'm an international with an offer for comparative literature and philosophy. I'm really excited, can't wait to start my course! I applied for Albany Park and hope to hear from the Uni soon. I'm sure I will meet amazing people in St Andrews, I feel it in my fingers :biggrin:.
Any philosophers? comparatists? Are you there?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes, another international philosopher here! (if the Netherlands counts as international.)
I will be studying in St Andrews in my third year, only for a semester unfortunately. I think I will really love the place, and hopefully my modules/courses/whatever it is called there too. I am going to appy for accommodation today, can't wait to experience living in university accommodation!
Original post by Elinen
Yes, another international philosopher here! (if the Netherlands counts as international.)
I will be studying in St Andrews in my third year, only for a semester unfortunately. I think I will really love the place, and hopefully my modules/courses/whatever it is called there too. I am going to appy for accommodation today, can't wait to experience living in university accommodation!

That's so exciting! I'm sure you gonna have fun in St Andrews. What residence you applied for?
Anyone living in Fife Park?
Reply 16
Original post by AverageExcellence
Anyone living in Fife Park?

I will stay at David Russel Apartments so at least we will be neighbours :smile:
Original post by YasV
I will stay at David Russel Apartments so at least we will be neighbours :smile:

Hey Yas, great to hear :smile: are you from scotland originally? I studied at york for my UG so its going to be a big step up. Looking forward to it though, when does your course start? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by AverageExcellence
Hey Yas, great to hear :smile: are you from scotland originally? I studied at york for my UG so its going to be a big step up. Looking forward to it though, when does your course start? :smile:

Hi, i'm not from GB at all. I'm from Frankfurt Germany . So for me it is a really big step. My courses will start in september as far as i know. But i will be in St.Andrews from august due to a four weeks english course
Reply 19
Original post by kulpeiro
That's so exciting! I'm sure you gonna have fun in St Andrews. What residence you applied for?

My first preference is standard catered (I would LOVE to live in one of the more traditional buildings, can't hurt to try!), second Andrew Melville. But I have a feeling they will put me in David Russell Apartments.

I am a bit disappointed that the semesters are so short, a semester at my university is from the beginning of September to the end of January. So my time abroad is going to be shorter than I had expected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending