Turn on thread page Beta

Evidence for disabled students finance? Advice needed... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

I am in urgent need of some advice, I had a letter back from Student Finance asking me for more evidence from Student's Finance, as apparently the evidence I sent was not enough Am somewhat concerned as I don't have enough money right now to ask my GP for a full report (£80) I left college over a year ago and they have no info on me, and was homeschooled prior from the age 11, I did have a diagnosis of Cowdens Syndrome, Asperger's and Dyspraxia .... but am in a tight spot as have no idea how to get updated evidence... any advice would be gratefully appreciated......
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Have they said what was wrong with the evidence you sent in?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it wasn't detailed enough
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    When were you diagnosed with Aspergers and Dyspraxia? if it was after 16, (I think) your reports should be enough.

The evidence I sent in wasn't hugely detailed. You just have to demonstarte how it affects your ability to study. I think mine was somewhere around 4-5 lines.

ReputationRep:
    One thing you could do would be to ask for some advice and support with your DSA application from the Disability Support service at the university that you are planning to go to.
    I'm sure they vary, but I approached several of mine who were all very helpful in discussing how to gather evidence and complete the application. Some unis will support students in funding additional assessments, but I'm unsure if they would do this before you actually secure a place.
    Specific learning difficulties such as dyspraxia require a post 16 diagnostic assessment report, which I ended up paying for, but I submitted a letter from my gp about my aspergers and luckily my doctor did not charge for the letter, which outlined the problems it causes me day to day. Will your doctor definitely charge for a letter?
    If you haven't already I would seek help from your disability support team at your planned uni. They may be able to help you gather evidence which will satisfy SFE and is affordable.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    That's actually a good point - the uni generally has a better idea of what evidence is needed for DSA than what GPs do.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of paying for your doctor to do it, write to your consultant or the main person who diagnosed you with your condition(s) stating fully what they need to mention in your letter for the SFE. I got my audiologist to do a full report for DSA free of charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.