Turn on thread page Beta

B (Salters) F331 (Chemistry for Life) 22nd May 2015 [Official Thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    As per title.

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain geological and archaeological dating please? like in a lot of depth so i have full detail in case a question comes up. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    All you have to know for our specification is that in radiocarbon dating, carbon 14 is used to measure how old an object is. The theory behind this is that when plants photosynthesise, they take in a small amount of carbon 14, therefore when animals eat these plants, they also gain a small amount of carbon 14, this amount of carbon 14 is then let back out into the atmosphere (due to aerobic respiration), therefore all living materials are constantly replenishing the amount of carbon 14 inside of them to match the value in the atmosphere. Therefore when an organism dies, this carbon 14 inside of them decays and we can thus measure how old the organism is: the less the amount of carbon 14, the more old it is. This is because we know the half life of carbon 14 and the half life is constant for that given isotope.

However, there are flaws in this, for example how do we know that the decay was constant, there could've been environmental changes which affected the decay and the amount of carbon 14.

Hope this helps ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuslimaSheikh)
    All you have to know for our specification is that in radiocarbon dating, carbon 14 is used to measure how old an object is. The theory behind this is that when plants photosynthesise, they take in a small amount of carbon 14, therefore when animals eat these plants, they also gain a small amount of carbon 14, this amount of carbon 14 is then let back out into the atmosphere (due to aerobic respiration), therefore all living materials are constantly replenishing the amount of carbon 14 inside of them to match the value in the atmosphere. Therefore when an organism dies, this carbon 14 inside of them decays and we can thus measure how old the organism is: the less the amount of carbon 14, the more old it is. This is because we know the half life of carbon 14 and the half life is constant for that given isotope.

However, there are flaws in this, for example how do we know that the decay was constant, there could've been environmental changes which affected the decay and the amount of carbon 14.

Hope this helps ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the flaws are stuff like;

Parent/daughter isotope could me removed/added, therefore not same age as organism.
    The half life may not be constant
    If the half life is large, and far exceeds the age of the specimen, then the change in count rate will be small and difficult to detect.
    Count caused by other isotopes.
    Pretty much what the above poster said.

ReputationRep:
    How about archaeological dating? could someone please explain that in depth too

ReputationRep:
    The same concept applies for archaeological dating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone state some of the Molar Calculation formulae we need for this exam?

Im not inept at maths but lets just say its not my cup of tea, I cant seem to get my head around it at all :thumbdown:

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapkinofDestiny)
    Could anyone state some of the Molar Calculation formulae we need for this exam?

Im not inept at maths but lets just say its not my cup of tea, I cant seem to get my head around it at all :thumbdown:

Thankyou
    The 2 we need to know are:

1. moles = concentration (in moles per dm^3) times volume (in dm^3)

2. moles = mass (in grams) divided by formula mass

(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meloddymaybe)
    The 2 we need to know are:

1. moles = concentration (in moles per dm^3) times volume (in dm^3)

2. moles = mass (in grams) divided by formula mass

(:
    Thankyou )

ReputationRep:
    Resitting this exam cause i got a D last year, I'm so **** at chemistry :/

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do on F333 Skills test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marli-Ruth)
    I got an A on it last year (85%)

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should be done for F333 next year we should help each other out. Some people do skills before and after others so a few pointers could be given if you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GianluigiBuffon)
    I got an A on it last year (85%)
    An A was 53/60?
    According to the grade boundaries so you got 88%? No?

That's really good! I got just on the A boundary so I'm chuffed!

ReputationRep:
    An A was 53/60?
    According to the grade boundaries so you got 88%? No?

That's really good! I got just on the A boundary so I'm chuffed!
    I got 51/60 UMS which is 85% and around 55/60 raw marks and thats really good!!! keep up the good work

ReputationRep:
    The light and electron chapter is really confusing like, I know how to describe how absorption and emmision spectra looks like (colour line on black bg or black lines on colour bg) when passes through a prism, but what is the idea behind this??? Why do we use prism or what this lines actually means and why the gaps of lines get smaller at higher frequncy. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajwar786)
    The light and electron chapter is really confusing like, I know how to describe how absorption and emmision spectra looks like (colour line on black bg or black lines on colour bg) when passes through a prism, but what is the idea behind this??? Why do we use prism or what this lines actually means and why the gaps of lines get smaller at higher frequncy. Thanks in advance
    Basically electrons absorb a certain wavelength of light which corresponds to a particular colour and at a specific frequency. So this is why we get the lines innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajwar786)
    E=hf
    Energy proportional to frequency
    Emission spectra is black background coloured lines
    Absorption is coloured background black lines

Both have lines which get closer at higher frequencies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also re-sitting this exam and feel like I'm ready
    Paper last year was meaner then usual so hopefully they feel like being nicer this year
    Then again this is salters

ReputationRep:
    Feeling fairly good about this, I think its a much nicer paper than Natural Resources by far.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.