Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know this may sound very stupid of me since im studying engineering but here goes. So my university finals are so close, im spending countless hours studying in the night, but today my table lamp out of all other days decide to break. Heres a picture of the broken part.

But i tried playing with it trying to fix it, i simply showed it back into its hole and it seemed to work although it sometimes (like once an hour) the socket makes a sound for a minute it seems to be fine.
    My question is would this be safe for lets say a period of one month since after i would be able to purchase another new table lamp. Buying a new lamp wont be an option since the nearest place to buy one is quite far from my university, and the lights already installed in my dorm are white light which really strains my eyes after an hour of studying that's why i prefer a yellow light.
    Also is there a proper way to fix it using basic material available in my dorm?

Please help me out :/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a lamp collector and was just wondering if the lamp is for sale. I would be interested in buying it as after some research I have discovered this lamp belonged to Joan of Arc and is very valuable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo_THABOY_420)
    Hi, I am a lamp collector and was just wondering if the lamp is for sale. I would be interested in buying it as after some research I have discovered this lamp belonged to Joan of Arc and is very valuable.
    How have you gathered that from a picture of the plug/socket? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Instead of risking burning your whole house down with this dodgy repair job, why don't you just replace the plug? It's dead easy to do and the only tool you will probably need is some wire strippers, which you can get cheaply enough at any DIY store.

ReputationRep:
    Cool story bro

ReputationRep:
    order one off Tesco... they will deliver it... job done

no, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Instead of risking burning your whole house down with this dodgy repair job, why don't you just replace the plug? It's dead easy to do and the only tool you will probably need is some wire strippers, which you can get cheaply enough at any DIY store.
    I live in a university accommodation, i do have access to a wire stripper which is in the University Electrical project lab and a few other equipments, but none of them afaik could help fixing this. And im unable to go to a hardware store since my university is in a remote area, the nearest locations are just small convenient stores which dont really have any electrical equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lkastudent)
    I live in a university accommodation, i do have access to a wire stripper which is in the University Electrical project lab and a few other equipments, but none of them afaik could help fixing this. And im unable to go to a hardware store since my university is in a remote area, the nearest locations are just small convenient stores which dont really have any electrical equipment.
    An electronics lab must surely have some spare plugs. Ask the staff.

Or failing that see if anybody has some broken appliances they don't want that you could salvage a plug from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    How have you gathered that from a picture of the plug/socket? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, thanks for the inquiry.

Like I said I have done hundreds of hours of research on lamps and recognised it as belonging to our Joan from the photo she sent me.

Yours, the Mo

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.