Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me how the whole getting an A* works in UMS.
    For example, for chemistry and maths, someone told me you have to get an A overall in the AS units and then A* in A2 units so C3/C4 and Unit4 chem/Unit5 chem. Can someone confirm this or let me know how it really works please for maths and/or science subjects? Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Do03)
    For example, for chemistry and maths, someone told me you have to get an A overall in the AS units and then A* in A2 units so C3/C4 and Unit4 chem/Unit5 chem. Can someone confirm this or let me know how it really works please for maths and/or science subjects? Thanks!
    You'll find this thread useful:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=815293

As it has all the different combinations to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do03)
    For Science:

You need a minimum of 480/600 UMS with 270/300 coming from your A2 units. Note that this does not mean you need an A at AS (you need a B for 270, or a C but you will need above 270)

For Maths:

You need a minimum of 480/600 UMS with 180/200 coming from C3 and C4. This means that you need 300 UMS coming from your 3 AS units and your 3rd A2 unit together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do03)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme

As a general rule, you need an A overall (80%+ UMS) for AS & A2 combined (this means you must get at least a C {60%} at AS - if you got 100% in your A2, plus 60% from AS, that would average 80% or an A {just}). In addition, you also need to get 90%+ overall for the A2 modules.

Note these are overall figures - you don't need to get these scores in each and all modules - just overall you need to get those scores. You can bomb on one module, so long as you compensate by acing another (or more ;-) ).

For maths this is slightly complicated (simplified?) that the optional modules aren't counted in the 90%+ requirement - only C3/C4 are counted. So if you need to concentrate your efforts, concentrate on them.

Edit
    ------

If you prefer it from the horse's mouth, here it is from Edexcel - http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...explained.html

(Original post by Edexcel)
    To score an A* in an Edexcel A level you must:
    •get an A grade for your overall A level
    •produce a high level performance at A2 - scoring at least 90% of the A2 UMS marks.

To get an A* in Edexcel A level Mathematics you must:
    •score at least 480 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
    •score at least 180 UMS marks in Core 3 and Core 4.

For other six-unit Edexcel A levels you must:
    •score at least 480 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
    •score at least 270 UMS marks at A2.

For four-unit Edexcel A levels you must:
    •score at least 320 UMS marks for your overall A level grade
    •score at least 180 UMS marks at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme

As a general rule, you need an A overall (80%+ UMS) for AS & A2 combined (this means you must get at least a B at AS). In addition, you also need to get 90%+ overall for the A2 modules.
    Not quite true, if you get a C at AS, say 65%, you can still get an A* by getting 95% at A2. 65% and 90% average out to 80% which is an A, and you have 90+% at A2 so you qualify for an A*. Yes, this means you cannot get an A overall if you get a C at AS but you can get an A*... (except for maths)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    This is my college's break down for it. Seems like the simplest way of explaining it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    For Science:

You need a minimum of 480/600 UMS with 270/300 coming from your A2 units. Note that this does not mean you need an A at AS (you need a B for 270, or a C but you will need above 270)

For Maths:

You need a minimum of 480/600 UMS with 180/200 coming from C3 and C4. This means that you need 300 UMS coming from your 3 AS units and your 3rd A2 unit together.
    THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    This is my college's break down for it. Seems like the simplest way of explaining it. :yep:

THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Not quite true, if you get a C at AS, say 65%, you can still get an A* by getting 95% at A2. 65% and 90% average out to 80% which is an A, and you have 90+% at A2 so you qualify for an A*. Yes, this means you cannot get an A overall if you get a C at AS but you can get an A*... (except for maths)
    Thanks - I meant a C but my mind wandered at the critical moment. Thanks for pointing it out - I have changed it and hope it is correct now!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.