Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hii I took the Japanese A-level on Monday and was wondering how people found it? I found it quite challenging actually....
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've moved your thread to a more suitable area of the forum

ReputationRep:
    The Reading/Translation was alright but the writing was not great. Not the worst, but it certainly could've been better :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    The Reading/Translation was alright but the writing was not great. Not the worst, but it certainly could've been better :P
    I thought that the translation was sooo difficult!!! i hope the grade boundaries are low :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebeisgreat)
    I thought that the translation was sooo difficult!!! i hope the grade boundaries are low :3
    Oooh yeah. I didn't know how to describe the Google thing. Is is the Google Business or Company? And that small bit before the maps, I literally made it up :P Haha. Let's hope they're low!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh yeah. I didn't know how to describe the Google thing. Is is the Google Business or Company? And that small bit before the maps, I literally made it up :P Haha. Let's hope they're low!
    I translated it as Google company but i'm not sure let's hope !!!

ReputationRep:
    I translated it as Google company but i'm not sure let's hope !!!
    How did you find the writing?

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the writing?
    it could have been worse-I finished on time but I felt as though I made a lot of mistakes I included a lot of kanji but that was about the only good thing!! what about you??

ReputationRep:
    it could have been worse-I finished on time but I felt as though I made a lot of mistakes I included a lot of kanji but that was about the only good thing!! what about you??
    I finished with like 40 minutes to spare! I spent 20 minutes checking. The writing was quite difficult to think about it. I think what I wrote was in a slightly childish manner but I managed to answer all the points in a paragraph each with a fair amount of kanji. There were some words I know I could've used kanji for but I just couldn't think of them! And do you know whether it's 400 minimum or maximum?

ReputationRep:
    I finished with like 40 minutes to spare! I spent 20 minutes checking. The writing was quite difficult to think about it. I think what I wrote was in a slightly childish manner but I managed to answer all the points in a paragraph each with a fair amount of kanji. There were some words I know I could've used kanji for but I just couldn't think of them! And do you know whether it's 400 minimum or maximum?
    Wow! I finished on the dot!! I think what I wrote was slightly childish too- what did you write for 'what do you do when work is hard?'
    And I think it's 400 maximum- if you filled in all the boxes then that's enough. I went slightly over but only by a line so I hope that's okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did u people get Yamanote line for 山の手線 for the translation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emimusic)
    I don't remember but that was the line in the translation that really threw me. I remember what I wrote didn't make sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember but that was the line in the translation that really threw me. I remember what I wrote didn't make sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same! It was quite unfair though - we can't be expected to know the names of train lines..

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I finished on the dot!! I think what I wrote was slightly childish too- what did you write for 'what do you do when work is hard?'
    And I think it's 400 maximum- if you filled in all the boxes then that's enough. I went slightly over but only by a line so I hope that's okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay. I went over by just under half a page of the extra writing thing I got (which I had to write horizontally for... Urgh! Haha).
    Well I'm fluent in Japanese and I've been speaking it pretty much since I could talk. I think I put something like I ask my teachers and my friends and consult a book. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emimusic)
    Probably note because I don't recognize it. But that makes sense when I see it :P

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. I went over by just under half a page of the extra writing thing I got (which I had to write horizontally for... Urgh! Haha).
    Well I'm fluent in Japanese and I've been speaking it pretty much since I could talk. I think I put something like I ask my teachers and my friends and consult a book. :P
    Ahh same-I wrote that I read my textbooks slowly and then get help from my family are you a private candidate or do you learn japanese at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the exam as well and found it challenging. Compared to the 2014 paper it did seem like an increase in difficulty although I don't know if that was to do with the fact I spent half an hour doubting everything I had written at the end! Especially the early reading questions, I was all over the place.

The translation was also quite difficult, I completely missed the 山の手線. Not expecting any good marks at all there!

After two awful sections I tried to go for it in the writing, but completely over-complicated it. Made so many mistakes, one kanji error and then various grammatical issues. It seemed like the 2hrs 45min just flew by before I could fix anything!

Been kicking myself all week about it- was a disaster after the results I was getting with past papers! Really hoping for lower grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllisWarren)
    I did the exam as well and found it challenging. Compared to the 2014 paper it did seem like an increase in difficulty although I don't know if that was to do with the fact I spent half an hour doubting everything I had written at the end! Especially the early reading questions, I was all over the place.

The translation was also quite difficult, I completely missed the 山の手線. Not expecting any good marks at all there!

After two awful sections I tried to go for it in the writing, but completely over-complicated it. Made so many mistakes, one kanji error and then various grammatical issues. It seemed like the 2hrs 45min just flew by before I could fix anything!

Been kicking myself all week about it- was a disaster after the results I was getting with past papers! Really hoping for lower grade boundaries.
    it was definitely harder than the 2014 paper-couldn't agree more and I thought that the translation was the hardest part!!
    The writing task could have been a lot harder, but it was still really difficult (

ReputationRep:
    Ahh same-I wrote that I read my textbooks slowly and then get help from my family are you a private candidate or do you learn japanese at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our school doesn't do Japanese so my mum taught me. I'd done like 5 worksheets throughout the year then she gave me a quick crash course about a week before the exam :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllisWarren)

The writing for 2014 was much worse than this one! And the translation wasn't that bad. I managed to get through most of it with guessing at a couple of things, I didn't get the Yamanotesen. I finished and left the exam hall with like 20 minutes to spare after having checked it for 20 minutes. Does it really take everyone that long!? :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.