Turn on thread page Beta

Why choose an apprenticeship or school leaver scheme as an alternative to university? watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    It doesn’t have to be learn OR earn – it can be both

Many people believe that achieving a university degree is the best way to become highly employable. Sometimes that’s true, but in many cases, employers are looking for candidates with ambition, knowledge, skills and experience.

There are a host of unnoticed or under-valued alternatives available to students like you. Options like apprenticeships, industrial placements, and school leaver programmes. Not only are you earning a wage while you’re learning, there are also the benefits of learning new skills, meeting new people, travelling, and gaining the confidence and capabilities that come with working with people older and more knowledgeable than you.

Take our school leaver programme for example. Targeting ambitious, bright, talented school leavers, the programme takes place in our stores, nationwide, and enables you to develop into a future Commercial Manager. Over 12-18 months, you can develop new skills, are coached by mentors and given responsibility for multi-million pound budgets and line management accountability. And you receive a fantastic benefits package for it too. It gives you learning, knowledge and experiences that a university degree cannot offer. In fact, some of the most senior people and Board Directors at M&S began their careers this way.

Our scheme has opened for those able to start work in September 2015. We’re here to talk so let us know if you have any questions for us.

ReputationRep:
    Are people without degrees on these School Leaver schemes ever blocked from progress to higher positions in the firm? Perhaps due to the lack of higher education ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    Are people without degrees on these School Leaver schemes ever blocked from progress to higher positions in the firm? Perhaps due to the lack of higher education ?
    Hi Gifted,

Thanks for getting in touch.

In answer to your question, not at all; to apply for our School Leaver programme you need to have 2 A-Levels, and we offer ongoing training and development after the scheme has finished when on the job.

Some of our most senior people and Board Directors at M&S began their careers this way - where you take your career afterwards is really down to you, but the sky is the limit in terms of opportunities!

Does that help answer your question? What are you looking to do after leaving school?

M&S Careers Team.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what you are saying but I myself have always wanted a degree and enjoy education and will be attending uni this September and would go even though I know I'm not guaranteed a good job at the end. Why not go uni and work part time on the weekends aswell. This way not only are you getting a degree which this scheme doesn't offer but also experience which is useful for your CV and extra cash aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    I agree with what you are saying but I myself have always wanted a degree and enjoy education and will be attending uni this September and would go even though I know I'm not guaranteed a good job at the end. Why not go uni and work part time on the weekends aswell. This way not only are you getting a degree which this scheme doesn't offer but also experience which is useful for your CV and extra cash aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi r-t, that’s great to hear that you’re so enthusiastic about your degree, what are you looking to study?

One advantage that our school leaver programme has in comparison to joining at Graduate level, is that it enables you to fast-track into a M&S Management position.

Our training scheme provides on-the-job training, supported by classroom based training activities, which develop your managerial and technical skills. You will be given responsibility from day one, which will grow as you develop and gain more confidence.

What kind of part-time role would you be looking to do over the weekends?

M&S Careers Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, good news! Our School Leaver Scheme and Graduate Scheme applications have just opened. You can find out more information and how to apply here: careers.marksandspencer.comGood luck!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.