Turn on thread page Beta

Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year now. Things have been a bit touch-and-go recently and we've had a few issues. Yesterday my friend asked if everything was going okay because my girlfriends relationship status had gone, so he'd assumed we'd broken up. Normally it's visible so I was a little confused and assumed he'd just made a mistake as it was visible just a few days earlier.

So I get home and notice that not only is it no longer visible, but that my girlfriend has also changed her profile picture from one of us two, to one of just herself. This got me a little confused, so I asked her about it, and she claimed that she never knew it wasn't visible, and said it must have been a Facebook error or something, and changed it back almost immediately.

However I don't really believe that it was a Facebook error, I believe her maybe 25% - but do these things really happy on Facebook?
    And it seems very coincidental for this to happen on the same day (or within a day or two) of her changing her profile picture. I'm not saying that changing her profile picture is a big deal, it's not - it's normal. But it's been of us two since we got together, and I didn't seen it as anything at all until I found out about the relationship status thing too.

The basic issue is - 24 hours later she's still saying it must have been a Facebook error. We're meeting up a little bit later on, but I really don't believe it and I can't move on until this is addressed. What can I do?

If it helps she has (in the past) gone behind my back and text other guys, and lied about messaging a guy she used to 'see', so I've got my guard up a little bit, so to speak.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Just get out of the relationship now. Petty Facebook status updates and shifty behaviour so early on in a relationship isn't a great sign.

Not to say you couldn't work through it, but using Facebook to signal your eligibility...

(Original post by A5ko)
    Just get out of the relationship now. Petty Facebook status updates and shifty behaviour so early on in a relationship isn't a great sign.

Not to say you couldn't work through it, but using Facebook to signal your eligibility...
    So there's no way this came up through error, not at all?:|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So there's no way this came up through error, not at all?:|
    No.

ReputationRep:
    You have to physically change the settings to make it visible to either your friends, only me, or custom and not share it with specific people. Highly unlikely that facebook changed it by itself through error :/

ReputationRep:
    It definitely was not an error. Facebook can't just change something like that. Confront her and see what she has to say in person - keeping in mind that it was not a Facebook error

(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    No.
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    You have to physically change the settings to make it visible to either your friends, only me, or custom and not share it with specific people. Highly unlikely that facebook changed it by itself through error :/
    (Original post by BlessingA)
    It definitely was not an error. Facebook can't just change something like that. Confront her and see what she has to say in person - keeping in mind that it was not a Facebook error
    And if she keeps denying she changed it? Then what do I do?:|

ReputationRep:
    If she keeps denying it either someone else logged onto her facebook to change it or she is lying.

If it is of great importance, ask her to change it back..? if she is not willing I think you'll know enough then?

ReputationRep:
    Then ask her why she feels the need to lie to you. And tell her that you know there is no such thing as a Facebook error. If she continues to lie about it and make excuses then she's obviously hiding something

ReputationRep:
    She's putting herself back on the market. Mentally accept that she's lied, and brace yourself for further lies/an end to the relationship. Be proactive, and dump her first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    She's putting herself back on the market. Mentally accept that she's lied, and brace yourself for further lies/an end to the relationship. Be proactive, and dump her first.
    I agree with this, be proactive! Clearly this is not working and she really doesn't seem to care all that much?

I think the sooner you accept this is not going to work, the easier. I know that is provably easier said than done but these things suck sometimes!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2015
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.