Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I moved to the UK since last august and from that time I keeps searching for jobs and sending my CV but unfortunately no one called for interview !!!
    I have a Bsc degree in Information and Communication Technologies Engineering and a Bsc degree in Electronics, Communication and Computer Engineering but not from a UK university. I applied for a lot of apprenticeships and internships but always the reply I got is that my application is unsuccessful although I meet the requirements they need !!!
    I started to believe that there is something wrong with me, I think that I'm not qualified, so is there any courses I should take or anything I should do in order to be qualified for jobs or apprenticeships ??? any help ???
    I thought to apply for post graduate studies like masters degree but I was shocked from the fees as I'm not an EU/UK student so I have to pay double the fees and in some universities the triple with no installments !!

What about the GCSE and UCAS points ??? most of the apprenticeships require certain GCSE or UCAS points how can I know my GCSE or UCAS points ??

Thanks a lot and sorry for this long post

ReputationRep:
    What brought you to the UK and do you have the right to work in the UK for the long-term or are you on a short term work visa (or other visa)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My husband has a permenant work contract and I have a work permit Tier 2 visa

ReputationRep:
    I suspect you need to be clearer about your right to work in the UK. Some might assume you haven't got the right to work in the UK. But some organisations might still be a little hesitant where your right to work is dependant on someone else's.

However you will be deemed "over qualified" for most apprenticeship programmes where you have a degree.

Keep trying with internships or graduate positions though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nad89)
    Hello,

I moved to the UK since last august and from that time I keeps searching for jobs and sending my CV but unfortunately no one called for interview !!!
    I have a Bsc degree in Information and Communication Technologies Engineering and a Bsc degree in Electronics, Communication and Computer Engineering but not from a UK university. I applied for a lot of apprenticeships and internships but always the reply I got is that my application is unsuccessful although I meet the requirements they need !!!
    I started to believe that there is something wrong with me, I think that I'm not qualified, so is there any courses I should take or anything I should do in order to be qualified for jobs or apprenticeships ??? any help ???
    I thought to apply for post graduate studies like masters degree but I was shocked from the fees as I'm not an EU/UK student so I have to pay double the fees and in some universities the triple with no installments !!

What about the GCSE and UCAS points ??? most of the apprenticeships require certain GCSE or UCAS points how can I know my GCSE or UCAS points ??

Thanks a lot and sorry for this long post
    Apprenticeships are for people who don't have degrees so you are too overqualified for one. And the graduate job market is very competitive in the UK- having the qualifications needed isn't enough, it's about having work experience and putting together a good CV and covering letter or answering the application questions well. What you really need is someone who can help you review your applications and see where you are going wrong.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.