Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This years paper was generally a nice paper, we had an easy matrices proof by induction and we barely scratched the surface of summing a series. I got to the final question with 30 minutes to spare.

However, Question 8 was a joke, here is the question:

y^2= 12x, the point P is at point P(3p^2, 6p)

S is the focus

a) Show that SP is 3(1+p^2)

Q= (3q^2, 6q) p=/=q

b) The tangent at point P on the curve and the tangent of point Q on the curve meet at point R, find the coordinates of the point R

c) Show that RS= SP.SQ
    ________________________________ ________________________

Part a) was fine, if you didn't know you had to Pythagoras the change in x and change in y and simplify.

Part b)

I was stuck on this question, like no method I tried seemed to work right, I would always get p=q.

First, I found the equation of the tangent: y = 1/p x + 3p

Then subbed in q (Coords were the same algebraicly) y= 1/q x +3q

then I'm stumped.

Normally you would sub in the values of the point into the y and x variables and solve a quadratic equation, this time, there is no such luck.

I tried to sub in the y value and eliminate a variable: Nope.

I tried to sub in an x value and eliminate a variable: Nope

Were you supposed to sub in x = y^2 /12 ?, I'm honestly concerned that I'm just forgetting something.

Edit: EDEXCEL ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE.

You basically had to equate one another and get x/y on its own.

I could have sworn the question didn't specify for an answer in terms of p and q, I was trying to find their values....

Thanks for the answers guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    This years paper was generally a nice paper, we had an easy matrices proof by induction and we barely scratched the surface of summing a series. I got to the final question with 30 minutes to spare.

However, Question 8 was a joke, here is the question:

y^2= 12x, the point P is at point P(3p^2, 6p)

S is the focus

a) Show that SP is 3(1+p^2)

Q= (3q^2, 6q) p=/=q

b) The tangent at point P on the curve and the tangent of point Q on the curve meet at point R, find the coordinates of the point R

c) Show that RS= SP.SQ
    ________________________________ ________________________

Part a) was fine, if you didn't know you had to Pythagoras the change in x and change in y and simplify.

Part b)

I was stuck on this question, like no method I tried seemed to work right, I would always get p=q.

First, I found the equation of the tangent: y = 1/p x + 3p

Then subbed in q (Coords were the same algebraicly) y= 1/q x +3q

then I'm stumped.

Normally you would sub in the values of the point into the y and x variables and solve a quadratic equation, this time, there is no such luck.

I tried to sub in the y value and eliminate a variable: Nope.

I tried to sub in an x value and eliminate a variable: Nope

Were you supposed to sub in x = y^2 /12 ?, I'm honestly concerned that I'm just forgetting something.
    i got same for equations. then i equated p equation with q equation as got we both got it in terms of y =. then solved to get x co ordinates ?

ReputationRep:
    If y=(1/p)X+3p and y=(1/q)X+3q, then just equate them to each other, so (1/p)X+3p=(1/q)X+3q, the solve for X. Afterwards, put the tangent equations as x in terms of y (e.g. x=py-3p^2) and equate them to each other again to find the value of y.

ReputationRep:
    The tangent lines are py=x+3p^2 and qy=x+3q^2. Make y the subject of each and equate both of them to get x=3pq. Then do the same for x and you get y=3(p+q).

ReputationRep:
    Part (a) I don't think required any real calculation - all did was to add 3 to the x coordinate of P (to find distance of P from the directrix). This gives you 3p^2 + 3 [aka 3(p^2+1)], which we know from the definition of a parabola to be the same as the distance SP.
    Regretting not putting more down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    The tangent lines are py=x+3p^2 and qy=x+3q^2. Make y the subject of each and equate both of them to get x=3pq. Then do the same for x and you get y=3(p+q).
    i left the equations as the original post. therfore i got x being -3(q-p)^2 ?

ReputationRep:
    is this edexcel gcse maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths degree)
    i left the equations as the original post. therfore i got x being -3(q-p)^2 ?
    \frac{1}{q}x+3q=\frac{1}{p}x+3p
    x\left(\frac{1}{q}-\frac{1}{p}\right)=3(p-q)
    x=\frac{3(p-q)}{\left(\frac{1}{q}-\frac{1}{p}\right)} = \frac{3(p-q)}{\left(\frac{p-q}{pq}\right)} = 3pq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    \frac{1}{q}x+3q=\frac{1}{p}x+3p
    x\left(\frac{1}{q}-\frac{1}{p}\right)=3(p-q)
    x=\frac{3(p-q)}{\left(\frac{1}{q}-\frac{1}{p}\right)} = \frac{3(p-q)}{\left(\frac{p-q}{pq}\right)} = 3pq
    Literally realised that before going to sleep last night lol, I feel stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    Literally realised that before going to sleep last night lol, I feel stupid.
    I think anyone that thought over any questions they struggled with (uauslly 8c) realised how to do it before going to sleep... I did... shame it was a bit late So don't feel stupid. It happens to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiva4Eva)
    I think anyone that thought over any questions they struggled with (uauslly 8c) realised how to do it before going to sleep... I did... shame it was a bit late So don't feel stupid. It happens to everyone.
    I can't remember 8c, never mind though, I'm still looking for a high B

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.