Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I'm an international student from Korea and I have applied for some UK schools and schools in EU for Master's degree. As a result, I got admission from Durham, St. Andrews, Leiden University in the Netherlands, and King's College London.

Now I have to choose a program among them, all are Intl. Relations for Master's degree. What concerns me the most is that the difference in tuition and reputation/quality of the program.

Tuition is cheaper in Leiden for about £5,800, yet KCL has a slightly better reputation in the Political Science field.

I really need help on this. Would it be a mistake if I choose Leiden over KCL because of the tuition? If you were me, Which one would you select?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yJang)
    Hello guys,

I'm an international student from Korea and I have applied for some UK schools and schools in EU for Master's degree. As a result, I got admission from Durham, St. Andrews, Leiden University in the Netherlands, and King's College London.

Now I have to choose a program among them, all are Intl. Relations for Master's degree. What concerns me the most is that the difference in tuition and reputation/quality of the program.

Tuition is cheaper in Leiden for about £5,800, yet KCL has a slightly better reputation in the Political Science field.

I really need help on this. Would it be a mistake if I choose Leiden over KCL because of the tuition? If you were me, Which one would you select?

Personally I have no idea about the reputation of most European universities so I would look at course content and location/facilities and see which I preferred overall.

ReputationRep:
    King's (KCL): Strong in War and Security Studies. But mediocre in IPE, DEV, iffy in evidence based policy analysis, Econ Growth and IR theory. Some areas are more recent add ons and have not fit in. It really depends on your concentration. KCL has some stars in War Studies, but the other profs are not that strong by UK standard. KCL PolScie department is not really top ranked in the UK. London living costs needs to be factored in, a student dorm room costs £200 a week (!) and students complain about poor value for high rent. See KCL student paper or recent NYTimes article.

Leiden: Strong in European Governance/Organsiations, Conflict/Peace, IPE. OK in DEV and theory. Some interdepartmental work with Law department for strong Human Rights. Lower living costs compared to London, weak Euros exchange rate makes it affordable. Leiden's IR department has a few well known profs (Daniel Thomas)

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yJang)
    Hello guys,

Having studied at both St Andrews and Leiden I can highly recommend both, though now with UK fees being so high Leiden becomes more attractive. The IR department is rated very highly, came 23rd in QS rankings this month, and Leiden has a good reputation around the world.

If you are thinking about costs, having lived in London for 6 years, I can certainly tell you that living here in Leiden is umpteen times cheaper, and with great connections to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague. So, I am a fan with regards to the Big Smoke of London which can be quite crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in London and currently live in The Hague. Studying is Leiden has way more opportunity for your career prospects as there are over 140 international companies/organisations in The Hague alone where you will be able to easily secure employment or an internship to get your foot through the door. I am going to UCL in Sept but just due to tuition costs being cheaper at UCL than Leiden for my course, and the opportunity of being able to live and commute from home whilst studying at UCL. I definitely reccommend Leiden. If you want to talk more about life in Holland or even come over for an initial visit (I rent out my spare room to people coming over to summer schools at Leiden Uni) then send me a pvt message.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.