The Student Room Group

2015 GCSE 21st Century Physics P1 P2 P3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emr22
Hi guys, was just wondering if someone could give me a hand with something? Do you think I'd have done OK on the microwave//mobile phones question if the points I made were:

-Children can contact parents with phones
-Children can contact someone in the event of an emergency
-Some people may feel the benefits of phones outweigh the risks

-We do not know the long term health effects of phones as we haven't used them for long enough
-Although the radiation isn't ionising or of a high frequency it could still have adverse health affects such as brain tumours or cancer
-Damage to ears from phones
-Damage to the body due to the heating affects of phones (didn't mention water molecules though :frown: )

I think you did ok, i'd probably give you 4-5 marks, even 6 if you managed to structure it amazingly but I'm kind of worried that it appears too straightforward, there was this question last year that appeared straightforward but apparently, they were looking for an answer to a question they didn't ask.

It looks okay though, did you at least specify that the heating effects were caused by radiation?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 421
I'm pretty sure I did and I was sort of hoping for at least four marks for I but knew I hadn't got full :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 422
Also what did everyone say about Tau Ceti? I waffled on about clouds of dust and gas and assumed it was formed in the same way as our solar system. My teacher seemed to think I got it right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parker13
I said heats up molecules not particles, will that be okay?

Should be fine
Reply 424
Original post by emr22
Also what did everyone say about Tau Ceti? I waffled on about clouds of dust and gas and assumed it was formed in the same way as our solar system. My teacher seemed to think I got it right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i said that as well, i just waffled about stuff i learnt in P7 lool
Reply 425
Same, I think we were right based on what Miss told me! Phew :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
This going to sound really cocky...but whilst physics was absolutely horrific, it's the one i'm most confident about (I feel like I've failed every exam so far so the confidence level isn't too high...) BUT we all know that the grade boundaries are going to be laughable for it, whereas as Chemistry and Biology might be really variable - like with no room for any mistakes!

Does anyone know what I mean? :smile:
Reply 427
I agree, Physics is my best science too so I'm not too concerned in all honesty :smile:
Original post by kxylah
yeah i said that as well, i just waffled about stuff i learnt in P7 lool

I feel kind of sorry to those who haven't done P7 yet cause the first question were basically asking for stuff from P7

:frown:
Reply 429
Original post by Firenze26
I feel kind of sorry to those who haven't done P7 yet cause the first question were basically asking for stuff from P7

:frown:

ikr solar system forming isn't even on the P1 spec i don't think... i thought you only needed to know how long ago the solar system was formed!
Reply 430
I was just happy my teacher told my class about potential links between the core paper and P7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 431
Also, I've been wondering if anyone has access to an unofficial mark scheme for this exam???
The formation of the solar system is on the first page of p1 in the cgp book :awesome::awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kxylah
ikr solar system forming isn't even on the P1 spec i don't think... i thought you only needed to know how long ago the solar system was formed!

I didn't mention the age of the solar system because didn't it ask to explain about the tau ceti solar system?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 434
You didn't have to mention the age
Reply 435
Original post by Jitesh
I didn't mention the age of the solar system because didn't it ask to explain about the tau ceti solar system?

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no i meant that in the spec it mostly focused on age, not the question! :smile:
Original post by kxylah
oh no i meant that in the spec it mostly focused on age, not the question! :smile:

Oh haha yeah! Do you do triple science?
Reply 437
Original post by Jitesh
Oh haha yeah! Do you do triple science?

yep! do you?
Original post by kxylah
yep! do you?

Yeah I do :smile:
I tried to keep to P1 knowledge when writing about q1 though... I don't think talking about how fusion happens in a lot of detail would have got me that many marks lol
Reply 439
Original post by Jitesh
Yeah I do :smile:
I tried to keep to P1 knowledge when writing about q1 though... I don't think talking about how fusion happens in a lot of detail would have got me that many marks lol

yeah same but i did include some stuff from P7 since I have seen in previous mark schemes that they write something like "reward references to P7" or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending