The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
Was it a horrid paper? I'm just shocked about C4. Like, I reckoned if you had done all the past papers it should have been fine but this isn't the premise for the boundaries - the vast majority would not have done this and don't see how 74/75 should be 100UMS. Seems weird.

Basically. To be frank my initial impression was that it was a very standard paper that got a tiny bit weird by the end. Additionally I think Arsey had a poll running and everyone had marks way too high to fit his expected boundaries, even for TSR. A fair few people seemed to get 75 so 74 doesn't seem too ridiculous. 100UMS of course implies that you literally couldn't have done better. It's a bit silly when people with vastly differing raw marks get the same UMS.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Basically. To be frank my initial impression was that it was a very standard paper that got a tiny bit weird by the end. Additionally I think Arsey had a poll running and everyone had marks way too high to fit his expected boundaries, even for TSR. A fair few people seemed to get 75 so 74 doesn't seem too ridiculous. 100UMS of course implies that you literally couldn't have done better. It's a bit silly when people with vastly differing raw marks get the same UMS.

I agree with that - but it was only ever 'weird' not necessarily hard...this seems to be a technique edexcel have employed over the last couple of years to try and make the exams more rigorous. That is true, 100UMS still needs to be exclusive. If anything I'm surprised at how low 100UMS for C3 was.
Original post by Gilo98
I agree with that - but it was only ever 'weird' not necessarily hard...this seems to be a technique edexcel have employed over the last couple of years to try and make the exams more rigorous. That is true, 100UMS still needs to be exclusive. If anything I'm surprised at how low 100UMS for C3 was.

Yeah and when it gets weird is when people start predicting low boundaries but don't get met with them. I think everyone gets into the mindset of "okay I think I did okay on that weird question but it must have thrown some people" when really a good proportion managed it fine (the cone question of this year being a good example). But you have exams that are genuinely hard, like C3 June 2013 and the last two FP3s.
Yeah though it of course can't be completely exclusive, if like four geniuses get 75 and nobody else manages above 70 then you can't base anything off that. I think the calculating system they use is generally okay.
Reply 1143
Hi Teem,I was wondering as you were a teacher if you could login to the edexcel secure section to download the AEA mark scheme? and if I could see it? the link is:http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/advanced-extension-award-mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materialsDon't worry if you cant, jus think I may be borderline after the grade boundaries being released today!Thanks!
Reply 1144
Original post by JM-97
Hi Teem,I was wondering as you were a teacher if you could login to the edexcel secure section to download the AEA mark scheme? and if I could see it? the link is:http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/advanced-extension-award-mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materialsDon't worry if you cant, jus think I may be borderline after the grade boundaries being released today!Thanks!

I am not a teacher but I obtained it here a few weeks back
Reply 1145
Original post by TeeEm
I am not a teacher but I obtained it here a few weeks back
Oh wow thankyou! So when you refer to 'your students' - do you mean people you tutor?
Reply 1146
Original post by JM-97
Oh wow thankyou! So when you refer to 'your students' - do you mean people you tutor?

I do not tutor, I teach them.
Reply 1147
Original post by TeeEm
I do not tutor, I teach them.
teaching outside of school, like homeschoolers or :s-smilie: ?
Reply 1148
They go to school, they go to lessons ...
But I teach them mathematics.
I have my plan/structure, they do my homework, they do my papers, I fully prepare them.
For the rest of the subjects ...
Reply 1149
Original post by TeeEm
They go to school, they go to lessons ...But I teach them mathematics.I have my plan/structure, they do my homework, they do my papers, I fully prepare them.For the rest of the subjects ...
Makes sense... Good luck with tomorrow then!
Reply 1150
Original post by JM-97
Makes sense... Good luck with tomorrow then!

all the best
Original post by TeeEm
all the best

Would I get method marks for a wrong integration for he C4 paper based on the mark scheme?Picture1.png
Reply 1152
some method marks if you found the cone and attempted subtraction
Original post by TeeEm
some method marks if you found the cone and attempted subtraction

Thanks! Would I also get marks for doing the binomial bit but I forgot to times everything at the end to get the answer?
Reply 1154
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks! Would I also get marks for doing the binomial bit but I forgot to times everything at the end to get the answer?

most definitely
TeeEm, do teachers find out results prior to results day?
Reply 1156
Original post by fatart123
TeeEm, do teachers find out results prior to results day?

only if they wish too

results are in schools now being prepared by admin staff
Original post by TeeEm
only if they wish too

results are in schools now being prepared by admin staff

Damn, thought I could deduce something from my teaching emailing me asking for my results. Ta
Original post by TeeEm
most definitely

Thanks for the reassurance! Hoping I see that A tommorow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got my results 1114/1200

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending