Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else sitting the WJEC English Literature exam tomorrow? I'm studying Seamus Heaney and Owen Sheers in the poetry section and 'Broken Glass' in the drama section. Would appreciate any advice/tips on timing my answers in the exam! After doing many timed mocks, I've come to realise that I am really struggling with fitting in all I have to say in the time given for the exam! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I'm the exact same - I just have to much to say and not enough time. I swear i could write for days! recently, what I've done is to pick out my strongest points and write about them in depth ,especially with the Drama.This is instead of writing a larger number of points and running out of time. For my last timed essay for the drama section I got 27 and that was just from two developed points! Sadly, for the poetry side, the latter half of my essay always seems rushed and sometimes incomplete - I feel like tomorrow will be no different tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdixie)
    I'm afraid I'm the exact same - I just have to much to say and not enough time. I swear i could write for days! recently, what I've done is to pick out my strongest points and write about them in depth ,especially with the Drama.This is instead of writing a larger number of points and running out of time. For my last timed essay for the drama section I got 27 and that was just from two developed points! Sadly, for the poetry side, the latter half of my essay always seems rushed and sometimes incomplete - I feel like tomorrow will be no different tbh.

That's actually a really good idea, I think I'm gonna try that! I actually find the drama section more difficult than poetry for some reason, however I feel the same, towards the end of all of my essays is where my points seem to dwindle off..and I make very little sense in my conclusion. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdixie)

How do you structure your essay and get 27 for only 2 points??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llanber)
    How do you structure your essay and get 27 for only 2 points??
    basically, the question was on African culture. My first point was based on the extract on how Jack had gone native ; explained his transformation using the language the playwright uses ( picking out specific phrases.. you know that sort of thing) ,linked it to context ( Rigidity of Catholicism & failure of the catholic missionary model / colonialism). Then, developed on this point in the wider play through discussion of the playwrights use of prop and costume , literally linking it back to context like every few sentences. Then my second point, I talked about another quote in the extract and discussed the tension between the two characters as a reflection on the tension between the two cultures and how through this the playwright criticises restrictive Catholic attitudes in the 1930s.Quickly, made a comment on how this extends itself throughout the play. ran out of time at this point oops.

I think the key was to just be really analytical ( let's be frank , English is mainly BS) and just link it back to the context.

ReputationRep:
    HOW DID EVERYONE DO?
    the questions were so good !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.