Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys can someone help me with the below:

The muon has a mass equal to 207 times the mass of an electron. Calculate the speed of muons with the same de Broglie wavelength as the electrons in part b (i.e. 1.6 × 10–9 m).

The answer is below but I was wondering if someone could explain why 1.6 × 10–9 m (the db wavelength from part b) becomes 1.6 × 10–7 ? and also why the answer is 2200. When I type in the same numbers into my calculator, I get 21.9737....

(207 × 9.11 × 10-31) × v = (6.63 × 10-34)/(1.6 × 10-7)
    v = 2200 (2170)

If someone could explain this to me, I'd be so grateful! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicedesuccess)

The muon has a mass equal to 207 times the mass of an electron. Calculate the speed of muons with the same de Broglie wavelength as the electrons in part b (i.e. 1.6 × 10–9 m).

The answer is below but I was wondering if someone could explain why 1.6 × 10–9 m (the db wavelength from part b) becomes 1.6 × 10–7 ? and also why the answer is 2200. When I type in the same numbers into my calculator, I get 21.9737....

v = 2200 (2170)

Do you understand the equations?

p = \dfrac{h}{\lambda}

but  p = mv

\Rightarrow mv = \dfrac{h}{\lambda}

Do you have a screenshot of the question? When I use \lambda = 1.6 \times 10^{-9} I get the correct answer.

ReputationRep:

v = 2200 (2170)

v=h/mλ

It does not become 1.6 × 10–7.

Subbing in the de Broglie wavelength of the electrons you calculated before will give you the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks so much for your reply. Yes I understand the equations and the rearrangement of the equation - I just get stuck on why the de broglie wavelength has been multiplied by 100 in the question! Also I don't know how the answer of 2200 has been arrived at !! Mine is 21.9... even if I put in the figures as suggested in the answer!

I've attached a screen shot if that helps... Thank you!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks so much for your reply. Yes I understand the equations and the rearrangement of the equation - I just get stuck on why the de broglie wavelength has been multiplied by 100 in the question! Also I don't know how the answer of 2200 has been arrived at !! Mine is 21.9... even if I put in the figures as suggested in the answer!

I've attached a screen shot if that helps... Thank you!
    I think it is a typo in the mark scheme if they are using 1.6 x 10^(-7), if you use 1.6 x 10^(-9) you get the correct answer! I tried myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    v=h/mλ

It does not become 1.6 × 10–7.

Subbing in the de Broglie wavelength of the electrons you calculated before will give you the right answer.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    I think it is a typo in the mark scheme if they are using 1.6 x 10^(-7), if you use 1.6 x 10^(-9) you get the correct answer! I tried myself.
    Ah ok!!! Thank you! Stupid mark scheme! thanks again

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.