The Student Room Group

Bullemia

For the past few months I have been making myself throw up to lose weight. It has worked wonderfully but I have been doing it in consideration, I know about all the risk factors and I am not 'addicted' at all, it is just so much easier to reduce the uncomfort of bloating (I can literally eat nothing all day then eat something as small as a banana and be in great pain)
But my question is, am I bullemic? How long or excessive does it have to go for before I am classed as that? Bullemia is a mental disorder, and I would say that I don't have it, I just use a short cut.
This sounds terribly selfish and I am sorry for anyone who knows someone suffering with the disorder, my intention is not to trigger anyone
Hi, I think to be classed as bulimic you have to binge and then throw up at least twice a week for a couple of months. You haven't mentioned bingeing, and that is a crucial part of the diagnosis. Depending on your weight it could be classed as anorexia, or another eating disorder, maybe EDNOS.

Are you sure you're not addicted to it? Throwing up is quite a harmful way to just lose a bit of weight and reduce bloating. The bloating you experience doesn't sound very healthy, maybe if it's really bad you should see a doctor about it?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I think to be classed as bulimic you have to binge and then throw up at least twice a week for a couple of months. You haven't mentioned bingeing, and that is a crucial part of the diagnosis. Depending on your weight it could be classed as anorexia, or another eating disorder, maybe EDNOS.

Are you sure you're not addicted to it? Throwing up is quite a harmful way to just lose a bit of weight and reduce bloating. The bloating you experience doesn't sound very healthy, maybe if it's really bad you should see a doctor about it?

What is EDNOS?
I don't think I am, I only feel the need to do it every so often. I already saw a doctor and they told me it was perfectly normal
What is EDNOS?
I don't think I am, I only feel the need to do it every so often. I already saw a doctor and they told me it was perfectly normal

Eating disorder not otherwise specified.
What is EDNOS?

Then you need a new doctor, making yourself sick is not ok no matter how infrequent
Reply 5
As doodle_333 says, making yourself sick is not normal, and it is not ok. I know you have said you know the risk factors, but please, please do be careful of the risk to your heart, your teeth, your oesophagus, your stomach. The feeling of bloating is awful, but in the long term this will make it worse (especially if you do eat little during the day, because your stomach will not be able to cope with regular amounts of food so well).

The DSM-5 criteria has actually reduced the frequency of binge eating/purging to at least once per week (rather than twice weekly) now, although you don't mention if you binge eat. Even if you don't meet the criteria for bulimia nervosa, as said it is also possible that you could be classified as EDNOS (eating disorder not-otherwise-specified) (or Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders and Unspecified Feeding and Eating Disorders, as it has now been renamed). E.g. there is also now ' Purging Disorder', which is classed as "recurrent purging behavior to influence weight or shape (e.g., self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or other medications) in the absence of binge eating".

Either way, please, please do be careful. Purging is not as effective as it seems, and it is really, really not worth it. Please do try to speak to your GP (or another GP) again about this.

Quick Reply

Latest