Turn on thread page Beta

Which feminist views do you agree with? Ultimate feminism poll! watch

• View Poll Results: Ultimate feminism poll! Please select every option you agree with.
    I'm male and call myself a feminist.
    14.29%
    I'm female and call myself a feminist.
    17.86%
    I'm male: yes, the Patriarchy exists, and yes it oppresses women.
    12.50%
    I'm female: yes, the Patriarchy exists, and yes it oppresses women.
    16.07%
    I'm male: yes, the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women.
    7.14%
    I'm female: yes, the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women.
    19.64%
    I'm male: yes, we live in a "rape culture"
    5.36%
    I'm female: yes, we live in a "rape culture"
    19.64%
    I'm male: yes, promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men and we should get rid of the sexual double standard
    26.79%
    I'm female: yes, promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men and we should get rid of the sexual double standard
    25.00%
    I'm male: yes, I support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent.
    12.50%
    I'm female: yes, I support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent.
    19.64%
    I'm male: yes, I support affirmative action (e.g. quotas or lowering standards) to get more women into underrepresented fields
    0%
    I'm female: yes, I support affirmative action (e.g. quotas or lowering standards) to get more women into underrepresented fields
    12.50%
    I'm male: yes, I believe in equal opportunity for both genders
    60.71%
    I'm female: yes, I believe in equal opportunity for both genders
    35.71%

ReputationRep:
    There is increasingly lots of opposition to feminism on TSR. :borat:

Wikipedia states "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment."

I think most of us, even the anti-feminists, would support equal opportunity for both genders. But I think modern feminism goes too far, and I would certainly not call myself a feminist. :naughty:

Which of the below views do you agree with? Would you call yourself a feminist? Do you believe in equal opportunity? Do you think modern feminism has gone too far or not far enough?

Please tick all that apply in the poll.

1. Would you call yourself a feminist?
    2. Does the Patriarchy exists, and does it oppresses women?
    3. Is the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women? Or is it due to other reasons, e.g. men work longer hours, take fewer breaks from their careers, work in more difficult or riskier fields which are better compensated, etc?
    4. Do we live in a "rape culture"?
    5. Should promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men? Should we get rid of the "sluts vs studs" double standard?
    6. Do you support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent?
    7. Do you support affirmative action (e.g. gender quotas or lowering of standards for women) to get more women into underrepresented fields?
    8. Do you believe in equal opportunity for both genders?

I'm curious if there is a difference in views between men and women. Feel free to expand on your views in the comments.

ReputationRep:
    1. No
    2. To some degree, yes
    3. I don't believe the gap is significant nor caused by sexism
    4. Most certainly not. You can't even joke about rape for crying out loud. Rape is that crime you don't talk about lightly ever. You can't say some forms of rapes are worse than others without being called a rape apologist, you can't talk about prevention method without being accused of victim blaming. Some people even believe its worse than murder. If we live in rape culture, then we must live in a murder culture too. That would make more sense.
    5. Yes. The double standards is stupid
    6. Expand on this
    7. Nope
    8. Yes

Edit: oops didn't see the poll, ignore the above lol.

ReputationRep:
    Currently we have "No Means No" laws regarding sexual consent: if a woman (or man) says no, you have to stop. No means no.

Last year California passed "Yes Means Yes" laws for sexual consent on college campuses. At each stage of sexual escalation, verbal consent must be acquired. It changes the burden of proof in rape cases: men must now prove that she said yes.

Feminists want "Yes Means Yes" laws because it makes it much easier to convict men of rape. However, it means men are more likely to secretly record their sexual activities as proof they aren't rapists, and it means that men falsely accused of rape are ****ed (and will probably get actually raped in prison ).

These "Yes Means Yes" laws are spreading. New York has recently passed "Yes Means Yes" laws and it seems like it's coming to the UK.

If feminists get their way this is what your future sex life will be like. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

ReputationRep:
    1.yes
    2. To an extent
    3. To an extent but there are numerous other factors involved.
    4. Depends on the country/culture. In some countries yes, in some minority cultures within countries yes, if you are referring to the dominant culture in Western countries no.
    5. Stupid double standard in fact both concepts themselves are pretty stupid. I find it hard to imagine our ancestors wandering around defining each other as "sluts &studs".
    6. I haven't read much about this so I can't say one way or the other.
    7. I have mixed feelings regarding quotas but I can't be bothered typing. I don't think we should be lowering standards however.
    8. Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you have a few control choices for men and women who don't agree with those options for the sake of comparison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarriageSucks)
    Currently we have "No Means No" laws regarding sexual consent: if a woman (or man) says no, you have to stop. No means no.

Last year California passed "Yes Means Yes" laws for sexual consent on college campuses. At each stage of sexual escalation, verbal consent must be acquired. It changes the burden of proof in rape cases: men must now prove that she said yes.

Feminists want "Yes Means Yes" laws because it makes it much easier to convict men of rape. However, it means men are more likely to secretly record their sexual activities as proof they aren't rapists, and it means that men falsely accused of rape are ****ed (and will probably get actually raped in prison ).

These "Yes Means Yes" laws are spreading. New York has recently passed "Yes Means Yes" laws and it seems like it's coming to the UK.

If feminists get their way this is what your future sex life will be like. :sexface:

That video was way funnier than I thought it'd be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Shouldn't you have a few control choices for men and women who don't agree with those options for the sake of comparison?
    Ideally yes. Unfortunately TSR limits us to 16 poll options and I wanted to see if there is a gender divide between the views. The questions were selected to generally be yes/no answers, so if people do not select that option I assume they think the opposite. In some cases views can be expanded upon (e.g. explaining the gender pay gap), which people are very welcome to do in this thread.

People of TSR: you disagree with everything, including equality of opportunity for both genders, then please say so in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Wage gap has been debunked too many times.

Patriarchy is a daft concept.

Affirmative action is ridiculous as women have equal opportunities in terms of jobs, there's nothing stopping them.

Rape culture is a daft concept too.

The rest is sound (though the consent thing seems kind of obvious to everybody ever do we really need more laws about it?)

ReputationRep:
    1. No.
    2. No not really.
    3. No the gender pay gap is not due to sexism/discrimination.
    4. No. Rape culture is a concept dreamed up by misandrists.
    5. Yes although I forgot to click it when I voted.
    6. No the burden of proof should be on the woman to prove she didn't consent.
    7. Absolutely not
    8. Yes

ReputationRep:
    Stop indoctrinating young people into ideologies by morphing its true incentives. Feminism is a faith and you're hindering any forms of social-progression by advocating for it.Name:  1426883268641.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  81.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    1. No.
    2. No.
    3. I will quote the CONSAD research corporation “this study leads to the unambiguous conclusion that the differences in the compensation of men and women are the result of a multitude of factors and that the raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action. Indeed, there may be nothing to correct. The differences in raw wages may be almost entirely the result of the individual choices being made by both male and female workers.”

http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

4. No.
    5. Yes.
    6. No.
    7. No, I believe in a meritocracy.
    8. Yes, as I am an egalitarian.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally yes. Unfortunately TSR limits us to 16 poll options and I wanted to see if there is a gender divide between the views. The questions were selected to generally be yes/no answers, so if people do not select that option I assume they think the opposite. In some cases views can be expanded upon (e.g. explaining the gender pay gap), which people are very welcome to do in this thread.

People of TSR: you disagree with everything, including equality of opportunity for both genders, then please say so in the thread.
    I get ya, didn't realise there was a poll option limit

ReputationRep:

That video ROFL

ReputationRep:
    for 1,2,3,4,6,7 any self respecting human being should say no.

5 is a tad complicated, I understand the reasoning behind the Stud vs Slut comparison, however in reality most men with the "stud" tag are considered in a slut like manner anyway.

8 is a no brainer, why anyone would say no is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    There is increasingly lots of opposition to feminism on TSR. :borat:

Wikipedia states "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment."

I think most of us, even the anti-feminists, would support equal opportunity for both genders. But I think modern feminism goes too far, and I would certainly not call myself a feminist. :naughty:

Which of the below views do you agree with? Would you call yourself a feminist? Do you believe in equal opportunity? Do you think modern feminism has gone too far or not far enough?

Please tick all that apply in the poll.

1. Would you call yourself a feminist?
    2. Does the Patriarchy exists, and does it oppresses women?
    3. Is the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women? Or is it due to other reasons, e.g. men work longer hours, take fewer breaks from their careers, work in more difficult or riskier fields which are better compensated, etc?
    4. Do we live in a "rape culture"?
    5. Should promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men? Should we get rid of the "sluts vs studs" double standard?
    6. Do you support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent?
    7. Do you support affirmative action (e.g. gender quotas or lowering of standards for women) to get more women into underrepresented fields?
    8. Do you believe in equal opportunity for both genders?

I'm curious if there is a difference in views between men and women. Feel free to expand on your views in the comments.
    1) I consider myself a humanist in the sense that i believe in equal treatment of all sexes and genders. So i also consider myself a feminist, because from my point of view, being a feminist is part of being a humanist
    2) I believe patriarchy still exists and oppresses women but thankfully to a lesser degree than before.
    3) It depends on the individual situation and there are definitely exceptions but generally speaking i think it's due to sexism. I agree with the examples you set as well.
    4) Thinking it again, it's a term each person thinks of differently so if you could give me your definition i could reply with a more constructive answer then.
    5) They should be regarded the same.
    6) It's a complicated topic and i'm not sure whether it will be effective or not so i need to do better research.
    7) Hmm, thinking it again, i need to learn more about it. Generally speaking, i believe in helping disadvantaged groups
    8) I believe in equal opportunities for all genders

Your username is nice btw
    To sum it up, i agree with the Wiki excerpt.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is patriarchy? And rape culture. I hear them getting thrown about a lot but normally just be radical 'feminists'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. Would you call yourself a feminist? - No
    2. Does the Patriarchy exists, and does it oppresses women? - The patriarchy doesn't exist as it once did and now exists in a very mutilated form in the West. Patriarchy (i.e. the idea that the man is the head of the household) never actually oppressed women necessarily but there was oppression of women in the past, yes.
    3. Is the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women? Or is it due to other reasons, e.g. men work longer hours, take fewer breaks from their careers, work in more difficult or riskier fields which are better compensated, etc? - It's due to other reasons. There is no gap when you look at those under 30, for example.
    4. Do we live in a "rape culture"? - No.
    5. Should promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men? Should we get rid of the "sluts vs studs" double standard? Personally I don't care either way so I was tempted to say yes. However I also believe that the government should not legally discriminate against women but that social tropes should not be forcibly removed by government.
    6. Do you support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent? - No
    7. Do you support affirmative action (e.g. gender quotas or lowering of standards for women) to get more women into underrepresented fields? Absolutely not. You'd have to be a bit of an idiot to do so
    8. Do you believe in equal opportunity for both genders? Yes, legally.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting that the only option men are more supportive of than women is both genders having equal opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    1. Would you call yourself a feminist? Yes
    2. Does the Patriarchy exists, and does it oppresses women? In a sense, there are general opinions in society that oppress women which are widely thought mainly by men but not the the extent of 100 years ago.
    3. Is the gender pay gap due to sexism and discrimination towards women? Or is it due to other reasons, e.g. men work longer hours, take fewer breaks from their careers, work in more difficult or riskier fields which are better compensated, etc? Mainly the second however there has been shown to be a pay gap granted smaller than figures often quoted.
    4. Do we live in a "rape culture"? Yes. Any culture that teaches how not to get raped instead of not to rape is a rape culture. The culture treats rape victims in a horrific way that can only be described as a rape culture.
    5. Should promiscuous women be equally well-regarded as promiscuous men? Should we get rid of the "sluts vs studs" double standard? Yes there is a huge double standard now.
    6. Do you support "Yes Means Yes" laws regarding sexual consent? I don't really fully understand the laws and I think they could be manipulated but I think the intention is to make it easier to convict rapists as the current figure is very low and the amount of false rape claims is virtually nothing for everyone saying that is an issue, so overall I think they are good but may need tweaking.
    7. Do you support affirmative action (e.g. gender quotas or lowering of standards for women) to get more women into underrepresented fields? No this sends completely the wrong message saying women can't get these jobs on their own. I do support offering support to women going into underrepresented fields and encouraging them but no affirmative action.
    8. Do you believe in equal opportunity for both genders? Yes, if you think this already exists look at the percentage of female CEO's or world leaders.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.