Turn on thread page Beta

Please help! Psychology graduate in need of career advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I could really do with some careers advice, but I'm unsure who to ask.

I graduated with a first in Psychology in 2012. At the time I was certain that I wanted to become a Clinical Psychologist. I volunteered in child mental health services and a mental health charity for several months before eventually getting a part-time job in a primary school helping children with emotional problems which I enjoyed. I then recently began working as an Assistant Psychologist, though I wish I hadn't. A few months ago I would have been thrilled and I just don't know what has happened to me. The job was not what I was led to believe as it involves a lot of driving to new places and booking rooms to visit clients. I feel trapped and wish I had never accepted the post. I am very anxious and feel as though I made a huge mistake studying Psychology at all as I feel very disillusioned.

I have thought about careers in speech therapy, occupational therapy, educational psychology, human resources, pharmacy, dietetics, nursing, even accounting or training to be a Paramedic, but I just don't know what to do. At college I really enjoyed English Lit and Biology. I also love History, animals and working with children. I want a job which pays fairly well, has good prospects and feels rewarding. I am 24 years old now and want to start living my life, but I feel lost. Any advice or directions on where I can find some would be very welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scucca)
    Hi. I could really do with some careers advice, but I'm unsure who to ask.

I graduated with a first in Psychology in 2012. At the time I was certain that I wanted to become a Clinical Psychologist. I volunteered in child mental health services and a mental health charity for several months before eventually getting a part-time job in a primary school helping children with emotional problems which I enjoyed. I then recently began working as an Assistant Psychologist, though I wish I hadn't. A few months ago I would have been thrilled and I just don't know what has happened to me. The job was not what I was led to believe as it involves a lot of driving to new places and booking rooms to visit clients. I feel trapped and wish I had never accepted the post. I am very anxious and feel as though I made a huge mistake studying Psychology at all as I feel very disillusioned.

I have thought about careers in speech therapy, occupational therapy, educational psychology, human resources, pharmacy, dietetics, nursing, even accounting or training to be a Paramedic, but I just don't know what to do. At college I really enjoyed English Lit and Biology. I also love History, animals and working with children. I want a job which pays fairly well, has good prospects and feels rewarding. I am 24 years old now and want to start living my life, but I feel lost. Any advice or directions on where I can find some would be very welcome.
    Sounds like you're in roughly the right career field - you like helping people and working with children and you want to have a rewarding job.

It's a shame your Assistant Psychologist post is not what you thought it would be. I haven't heard of any other AP post that solely revolves around admin, so you must be very unlucky. If you decide to pursue Psychology, you do realise that your job will not just consist of that, don't you? There will be some actual helping people in there as well.

Saying that though Clinical Psychology is such a competitive career that you have to be absolutely sure you want it before attempting to pursue it. Have you found the ClinPsy forum?
    http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/
    Useful info on there for anyone considering a career in any of the psychology fields. It might help you make a decision about whether being a psychologist is really for you.

Something which might be good for you to do, if you can, is get experience working in a multi-disciplinary team, e.g. with OTs, paediatricians, physios, SLTs, ed psychs etc. E.g. in a school for children with PMLD or something. That way you'll be able to see what all those jobs involve and see if there's anything there that appeals to you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you really want out to do. I've been in the same boat as you. I worked as a rehab assistant to gain clinical experience and just found that I don't really enjoy working within clinical disorders and mental health anymore. I then moved on to occupational therapy. It's a good career, but it turns out that I found that I just don't enjoy working in hospitals and clinical roles. So now, I've applied for occupational psychology masters as I find that I've always been interested in the psychological issues within organisations.

I would say try part-time work or shadow the above alternative careers. What made you hate being an assistant psych? Choose a career that you feel like you would enjoy.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.