Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im looking for some advice....

I've been given an unconditional offer at UCLAN to study Operating Department Practice starting this September. I've also been offered a full time permanent job for Hmrc that I'm starting in the next few weeks.
    The problem is, I can decide whether to take up the offer at uni or whether to just stick with my full time job. The problem is they both come with extremely different lifestyles. One is 9-5 and the other could be all kinds of unsociable hours. This doesn't necessarily bother me. I just can't decide which would be best.
    I'm 25 and due to finances this is the last chance I have of being supported through uni.

Any advice?
    Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Go to uni, doing odp should hopefully lead to a profession you could stick with for life whereas you couldn't know where full time work could lead you .

ReputationRep:
    Uni is only worth the debt and the hard work if its for something vocational where youre guaranteed a job after
    everyones got a degree these days and its workplace skills employers want rather than a meaningless degree in a nothing subject.
    id recommend sticking with your job cos from there you can get promoted and progress into a career, when you step out of uni in three years youll be starting from the bottom, because as much as tutors etc tell you you can walk into high ranking posts after uni - you cant. you start from below and the promotions and high ranking jobs are given to people with experience.

if i could go back in time i wouldnt have gone to uni cos all my friends who didnt go are in higher posts than me now and earn a butt load more money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SensibleAdult)
    Uni is only worth the debt and the hard work if its for something vocational where youre guaranteed a job after
    everyones got a degree these days and its workplace skills employers want rather than a meaningless degree in a nothing subject.
    id recommend sticking with your job cos from there you can get promoted and progress into a career, when you step out of uni in three years youll be starting from the bottom, because as much as tutors etc tell you you can walk into high ranking posts after uni - you cant. you start from below and the promotions and high ranking jobs are given to people with experience.

if i could go back in time i wouldnt have gone to uni cos all my friends who didnt go are in higher posts than me now and earn a butt load more money!
    ODP is vocational and there are plenty of vacancies on the NHS jobs website, if this was a non-vocational degree I would agree with you but ODP is a good opportunity.

OP, I have a degree and it hasn't helped me to find work but NHS degrees are a totally different kettle of fish because they train you for a particular job.

The way I see it is: there will always be other HMRC jobs that you can apply for BUT there won't always be another opportunity to go to uni to train for a job, as you say it's financially difficult as you get older. I'd also say to you - you can lose a job but you'll never lose your degree.

I think you need to think about why you applied to uni in the first place and what initially motivated you to do that - is ODP a career that you really want?If it's not then by all means take the job but if you can see yourself in that job then give it some thought because you could have long term career in the NHS. You need to think about salary, hours, type of work, future progression etc and see which role best suits you.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I would personally go with ODP as it gives you a profession and the NHS is a good employer. Plus I think ODP is an nhs-funded course so no debt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Which one do you want to do? A job will give you an immediate income. However, without higher education behind you you'll potentially find it difficult to progress and may be stuck at a more base level for the entirety of your career.

Uni and becoming an ODP is a great opportunity if it's a job you want to do. Generally once you have a job it's pretty secure and progression is increasingly available. Plus, having worked for a few years the degree and experience would prove invaluable if you decided to change career.

At the end of the day though no-one can make the decision for you. And we don't know which job you would prefer and may suit you better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Generally, hours wise, in theatres you'll be working daytime hours, Mon to Fri, but you may be expected to cover weekends and nights depending on where you end up working. It'd never be as many nights as nurses working on the wards though, as you only have to staff one or two theatres overnight for emergency cases. Often weekend lists are done as initiative lists (to get waiting lists down) and they offer these shifts as extra to your normal working week.

You also get to wear pyjamas (scrubs) all day which is pretty cool.

Like others have said though, only you can make this decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm seriously having issues with this though I've tried everything from pros and cons lists to flipping coins to see if I have a gut feeling about one over the other and nothing is helping at all. I feel really lost

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.