The Student Room Group

Structure and timing of Literature Unit 1 exam?

Can anyone give me tips with how to manage my time and how to structure my essays... Thanks
Reply 1
???
no im pretty sure its 1hr 30mins for aqa
Original post by DarkAvenger
no im pretty sure its 1hr 30mins for aqa

My exam entry form says 9:30-11:30 & it's AQA .. So I'm not sure ? It a A level I'm doing
Original post by danniellesmith
My exam entry form says 9:30-11:30 & it's AQA .. So I'm not sure ? It a A level I'm doing

this thread is for gcse's
Original post by DarkAvenger
this thread is for gcse's

Ohh ,my bad 😂😂😂
Original post by danniellesmith
Ohh ,my bad ������������������

:p:p:tongue:
Hey, I'm doing the AQA unit 1 exam on Monday and since I'm currently an A* student, here are some tips:
You should be spending 45 minutes on a question from Section A and you should be writing 3-4 paragraphs. (i'm doing Kindertransport). The question is usually asked the importance of a character or technique used or a theme in the text and the presentation if it. You'll be marked on an insightful and exploratory response with detailed analysis of quotes to support your points with links to the writer's use of language/structure/form and the effects of it on the reader/audience.
Personally, the paragraph structure I would be using is:
- Point = explained clearly, answering the question simply and identifying what you are about to write about
- Evidence = choose a carefully picked quote that is relevant to your point, one you can analyse in detail
- Analysis = pick apart the quote, concentrate on single words and the significance of them in the novel/play
- Explore = explain any possible alternate interpretations that be provoked by the reader/audience
- Link = link your analysis back to your point and evaluate the overall importance of it to the novel/play, the symbolism and theme it could support, you could even add a small amount of context to wrap up the paragraph.

For Section B of the paper, you also have 45 minutes to answer two questions.
The questions are usually structured as so: 'Read the passage. (A) How does the writer present..... & (B) How does the writers present about .... in the rest of the novel and how does this link to the time the novel was set?'
You have 22 and a half minutes per part and you should be writing about 3 paragraphs each.
For part A, you are given the passage you need to write about so don't use any from the rest of the novel.
Structure for Part A paragraph:
-Point = answer the question shortly, introducing the point you are to talk about.
- Evidence = use a short, relevant quote from the passage given and introduce it clearly.
- ANALYSIS = you are being marked most in this part for detail and ability to explain the importance of the language/structure so describe it and link it to the point well.
- Interpretation = offer any imaginative, creative alternate interpretation of the analysis and explain them clearly.
- Evaluation = Add an overall comment on the writer's use of the language/structure/dramatic technique and link it to the overall moral/theme of the text and suggest how it effects the reader.

For Part B of the question, it's all about CONTEXT. Don't mention too much about context in part A because this part is where you can really show off.
here's the structure I would use for a part B paragraph:
- Point = answer the question, introducing what you're going to discuss and respond to the idea/theme shortly
- Evidence = use short relevant quotes from anywhere in your text, and support it with similar quotes to show off. You do not need close analysis of language/structure in this part so don't worry too much.
- EVALUATE = evaluate the writer's use of language/structure/form and the effect it has on the reader. Offer a variety of links to context and explore the contextual possibilities by offering any alternate opinions.
- Add even more detail to context to support your overall point and link it to the whole moral of the novel and make sure it fully answers the question.

For revision, I suggest writing timed paragraphs and plans to get used to the rushed timing. Reread the texts and memorise any useful quotes you may need. Stay calm in the exam and don't panic. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caroedwards
Hey, I'm doing the AQA unit 1 exam on Monday and since I'm currently an A* student, here are some tips:
You should be spending 45 minutes on a question from Section A and you should be writing 3-4 paragraphs. (i'm doing Kindertransport). The question is usually asked the importance of a character or technique used or a theme in the text and the presentation if it. You'll be marked on an insightful and exploratory response with detailed analysis of quotes to support your points with links to the writer's use of language/structure/form and the effects of it on the reader/audience.
Personally, the paragraph structure I would be using is:
- Point = explained clearly, answering the question simply and identifying what you are about to write about
- Evidence = choose a carefully picked quote that is relevant to your point, one you can analyse in detail
- Analysis = pick apart the quote, concentrate on single words and the significance of them in the novel/play
- Explore = explain any possible alternate interpretations that be provoked by the reader/audience
- Link = link your analysis back to your point and evaluate the overall importance of it to the novel/play, the symbolism and theme it could support, you could even add a small amount of context to wrap up the paragraph.

For Section B of the paper, you also have 45 minutes to answer two questions.
The questions are usually structured as so: 'Read the passage. (A) How does the writer present..... & (B) How does the writers present about .... in the rest of the novel and how does this link to the time the novel was set?'
You have 22 and a half minutes per part and you should be writing about 3 paragraphs each.
For part A, you are given the passage you need to write about so don't use any from the rest of the novel.
Structure for Part A paragraph:
-Point = answer the question shortly, introducing the point you are to talk about.
- Evidence = use a short, relevant quote from the passage given and introduce it clearly.
- ANALYSIS = you are being marked most in this part for detail and ability to explain the importance of the language/structure so describe it and link it to the point well.
- Interpretation = offer any imaginative, creative alternate interpretation of the analysis and explain them clearly.
- Evaluation = Add an overall comment on the writer's use of the language/structure/dramatic technique and link it to the overall moral/theme of the text and suggest how it effects the reader.

For Part B of the question, it's all about CONTEXT. Don't mention too much about context in part A because this part is where you can really show off.
here's the structure I would use for a part B paragraph:
- Point = answer the question, introducing what you're going to discuss and respond to the idea/theme shortly
- Evidence = use short relevant quotes from anywhere in your text, and support it with similar quotes to show off. You do not need close analysis of language/structure in this part so don't worry too much.
- EVALUATE = evaluate the writer's use of language/structure/form and the effect it has on the reader. Offer a variety of links to context and explore the contextual possibilities by offering any alternate opinions.
- Add even more detail to context to support your overall point and link it to the whole moral of the novel and make sure it fully answers the question.

For revision, I suggest writing timed paragraphs and plans to get used to the rushed timing. Reread the texts and memorise any useful quotes you may need. Stay calm in the exam and don't panic. Good luck!

wow omg this is so useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by QueenOfStalling
wow omg this is so useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to be of service. Good luck.
Original post by caroedwards
Glad to be of service. Good luck.

Thank you :smile: it went rather well actually, thanks to your tips (y)

Do you have any tips for poetry??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending