Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always planned to study Chemistry at university and have recently changed to wanting to study Biochemistry. However in the back of my head, I feel like I actually want to study Medicine. I'm worried that it is too late as I have no relevant work experience or volunteering. I'm in year 12, applying to university in September/October. I am doing Duke of Edinburgh Gold as well as a Nuffield Biochemistry research placement in the summer.
    Is Graduate entry level medicine the only option now? If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
    Thank you

Sorry about the 'Too late to Medicine' title. I have no idea how to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaclrk)
    I've always planned to study Chemistry at university and have recently changed to wanting to study Biochemistry. However in the back of my head, I feel like I actually want to study Medicine. I'm worried that it is too late as I have no relevant work experience or volunteering. I'm in year 12, applying to university in September/October. I am doing Duke of Edinburgh Gold as well as a Nuffield Biochemistry research placement in the summer.
    Is Graduate entry level medicine the only option now? If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
    Thank you
    Almost nothing in life is ever too late when you're in year 12 - just a general tip.

You definitely don't need to be considering graduate entry medicine at this stage. It's not too late to sort out a short work experience placement over the summer along with some volunteering, if you start looking into it now. Email consultant's secretaries, get in touch with GP practices, talk to any family contacts you might have etc.

Worst case: if you can't arrange work experience over this summer, do it at some point in 2016 and arrange to take a gap year if necessary. There is absolutely no problem with starting university at 19 instead of 18, believe me, it is not too late.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Graduate Entry Medicine may not even be around by the time you graduate so if Medicine is really what you want to do then take a year out, get work experience and apply for Undergraduate courses. GEM is ridiculously competitive, there are entrance exams and it's expensive and if it still does exist in 4/5 years time, there's no guarantee that the current funding will still be in place especially given that the government is planning on making a lot of cut-backs. Plus, spending 3 years doing a degree purely as a means to do GEM is a crazy idea if you actually have the right A-Levels. Save yourself the stress, financial pressure, years of unnecessary had work and all round uncertainty and take a year out to build a strong application for undergrad entry. Oh and since you're year 12 I assume you're 16-17? You have your whole life ahead of you and it's not too late for Medicine at all.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Sorry about the 'Too late to Medicine' title. I have no idea how to change it.
    I've already taken a gap year, and will be applying for Medicine in October so will be 20 when I start (if I get a place, eek!) so definitely not too late for you!

Get volunteering regularly somewhere like a care home now, and find some clinical work experience and it may be worth an application this year - worst case scenario, you have to take a gap year and apply again :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep - stay to get some work experience lined up TODAY. Email lots of people and don't be disheartened when some say no.

Even if you are far from sure, this will help you decide. Don't put it off For any reason.

ReputationRep:
    Well I will be applying when I'm 19 (and if by some miracle starting when I'm 20). I have a feeling that I may have to go on a gap year though because I can't apply for graduate entry. Depends on my grades. Don't give up though. Medicine is known as a course that has people from a variety of ages. A lot of med students are mature students.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.