The Student Room Group

Do you talk to your friends about your love interests/partners?

I used to do it a lot when I was younger, but I always find there is that one person that will shed negative light onto a situation unnecessarily. I just prefer to figure things out for myself. I will only share details on my love life if I have a big issue I'm stuck on (this is rare) or I just come on here.

What about you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by phunky_fresh
I used to do it a lot when I was younger, but I always find there is that one person that will shed negative light onto a situation unnecessarily. I just prefer to figure things out for myself. I will only share details on my love life if I have a big issue I'm stuck on (this is rare) or I just come on here.

What about you?

assuming you're a girl.....if a guy did that, then he's a bitch and you should tell him to go back to his Cosmo magazine and soaps like the woman he is.

Anyway if you're a girl, what your experiencing is normal...there is always one "bitch" in the group lol

Obvs dont let your friends make decisions about your life for you, but sometimes there is value in hearing what the "bitch" has to say....just think of her as playing devils advocate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
My friends all know who my partner is and that is about it. I very rarely tell them anything about the relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAINE.
assuming you're a girl.....if a guy did that, then he's a bitch and you should tell him to go back to his Cosmo magazine and soaps like the woman he is.

It's views like these that evidence the feminist concerns about "societal pressure" and "body image" and so on clearly don't just apply to females in a negative light. They affect males too. Why shouldn't males discuss such things if females may? Do you think there's some fundamental psychological difference in how these vastly different breeds of human function? I think not.

-insert statistics on male mental health issues and suicide prevalence here -
Yeah, I'll chat to friends about my gf, because she's a massive part of my life. I will even talk to close female friends about emotions and sex problems .etc. I think it gets easier to talk about these things as you get older, and it's good to have an outlet so you can have a moan about them if they're being a pain.
Yeah I do talk to the people close to me about love interests. They are pretty supportive & it's nice to get their take on things :yes:
I try to keep my love life to myself becuase I feel like it's personal. But because there's always some type of drama, topic of interest with my love life, my friends always like to know. So when "catching up", I get really irritated that they barely touch upon work, family, other friends, etc and just hit straight to...sooo..did x text back, did you go out with y, how do you feel about z? It makes me feel like that's the only thing I'm about, which I'm not.
Original post by stargirl63
I try to keep my love life to myself becuase I feel like it's personal. But because there's always some type of drama, topic of interest with my love life, my friends always like to know. So when "catching up", I get really irritated that they barely touch upon work, family, other friends, etc and just hit straight to...sooo..did x text back, did you go out with y, how do you feel about z? It makes me feel like that's the only thing I'm about, which I'm not.

Lol I hear you. That was the case for me a while ago, he was the hot topic but most of my friends don't even know he is still in my life lol. He's just fizzled out of conversations, I don't bring him up and neither do they. Its weird, but a good weird.
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeah I do talk to the people close to me about love interests. They are pretty supportive & it's nice to get their take on things :yes:

Aww you're lucky to have their support!
Original post by stroppyninja
Yeah, I'll chat to friends about my gf, because she's a massive part of my life. I will even talk to close female friends about emotions and sex problems .etc. I think it gets easier to talk about these things as you get older, and it's good to have an outlet so you can have a moan about them if they're being a pain.

I totally get that. Its nice to know you have a shoulder to cry on when you need. I tend to vent from time to time, but it's rare nowadays. If I have an issue, I'll take it up with him or talk to my mum first.
Original post by Spock's Socks
My friends all know who my partner is and that is about it. I very rarely tell them anything about the relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*high five * I like this way of going about things When it comes to relationships.
Original post by MAINE.

Anyway if you're a girl, what your experiencing is normal...there is always one "bitch" in the group lol

Obvs dont let your friends make decisions about your life for you, but sometimes there is value in hearing what the "bitch" has to say....just think of her as playing devils advocate.

Ohhh don't get it twisted some of my guy friends have played their part too. I wouldnt let anyone make decisions for me lol its my life, I wouldn't leave my happiness in the hands of others, no sir!
If they ask me about it then yeah. But they mainly ask about how the bf is and everything
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If they ask me about it then yeah. But they mainly ask about how the bf is and everything

thought they didn't like him lol
Original post by ChickenMadness
thought they didn't like him lol

Some of them don't
Some of them don't

oh thought this thread was about parents only haha
Some of them don't

:dry:
Yes, why not
Sometimes, but I only really tell them the positive stuff rather than the negatives. I feel if you tell someone all the negatives in your relationship and when you argue, they will get an opinion on your partner based on just the bad things. If we ever get into arguments, I keep it to myself and we resolve it together rather than including other people.
I used to, but some friends aren't as supportive as they seem.
Its best to have one or two friends that you know are 100% trustworthy and speak to them about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending