Turn on thread page Beta

Not turning up for an A level exam watch

Hello,

I got an English exam tomorrow and absolutely so sad to the point where I can do it anymore. I got a C in a coursework and so consistent in getting E's and D's in my mock, I'll be happy with a C overall but my mock grades don't tell me that.

Last night and this morning, I self-harmed so much that school isolated me for the RS exam and directed me the a medical centre in the next town. I'm at this point where I can't handle failure anymore and contemplating not turning up tomorrow. What will happen?

bump

ReputationRep:
    Just try your best OP.
    Just having coursework will cause your grade to plummet so I won't suggest that.
    Best just to write whatever you can and then try and put it to the back of your mind. :s

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I believe when you don't turn up you get an X grade, which is the same as zero.

ReputationRep:
    I know how difficult the exam period can be with all the pressure to do well, but please try and attend the exam. What you get in mocks doesn't always reflect how you will actually do in exams, you might actually surprise yourself! Also if you don't go to the exam, you might regret it in the future. So I would just go to the exam and try your best, you can do it. But to answer your question, if you don't turn up you will get a zero. However, if you do go and let the teachers know about your situation then you can get special consideration. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    You should try. You might surprise yourself. You can probably retake for free if you need to if you can prove you were ill - including mentally - when the exam took place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try, your guarnteed to fail if you don't turn up.
    Atleast you can tell yourself that you did try.
    If you don't turn up you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I think just go there but don't put too much pressure on yourself at the end of the day its worth a try isn't it? and not only that but it will also be a waste of a year of hard work and you're giving in to failing. to be honest in my opinion not going into an exam is more of a failure than going in there and getting a U becuase at least that way you've tried.

I've done exams before knowing I'm going to come out with a U and I have; I didn't sit them to get a good grade becuase I knew that wasn't going to happen but I went into there to prove to mysel I could atleast see it through and that gave me more satisfaction than a B in another subject, and 1 time I come out with an E and I am more proud of that E than any other grade so far!

Not only that but you'll never know what you could have got and you'll kick yourself if everyone else comes out saying it was an easy paper. I know personally it would drive me crazy not knowing what grade I could have gotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello,

I got an English exam tomorrow and absolutely so sad to the point where I can do it anymore. I got a C in a coursework and so consistent in getting E's and D's in my mock, I'll be happy with a C overall but my mock grades don't tell me that.

Last night and this morning, I self-harmed so much that school isolated me for the RS exam and directed me the a medical centre in the next town. I'm at this point where I can't handle failure anymore and contemplating not turning up tomorrow. What will happen?
    I'm sorry, but for everyone saying you should do the exam, if you're at the point of breakdown, I wouldn't recommend doing the exam as your performance will be affected. Getting a disappointing grade will only deter future performance and increase your fear of failure. If you get a doctors note, you should be able to do your exams next year.
    I was in the exact same position as you.

Having said that, you may be a lot more prepared than you think you are and actually you may do well, but what you decide is up to you.

Lol just checked when this was posted, you must have already done the exam or not :// but oh well

ReputationRep:
    nothing is worse than not trying. i'm in a similar situation as you, but you need to try to look at the bigger picture.. you may regret not sitting the exam in the future. Come on, you can do it, I believe in you

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,

What did you do in the end? I missed my AS levels because my brother was critically ill in hospital and just sat them the following January and I missed an English A level exam because of MH issues and was given a U (ungraded) but finished with a B grade as I had A grades for other elements (this was prior to A* grades, I'm an oldie/in my twenties).

I was wondering if you should discuss your options with your parents- you could re-do year 13 next year or you could submit a GP letter/note explaining how unwell you've been so that the exam board consider your circumstances.

If you did sit the exam then that shows you've got amazing courage and if not then don't despair there will be other opportunities to sit the exams if you can't do it now and it probably won't affect your future very much at all!

(Original post by senz72)
    x
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    x
    (Original post by Flint_sky7)
    x .
    (Original post by holson)
    x
    (Original post by star80)
    x
    (Original post by hycurrie)
    x .
    (Original post by Lifeimitatesart)
    x
    (Original post by NutE)
    x
    (Original post by Katy100)
    x
    Hello everyone! I actually read all of your posts even if some of them were after the exam.. and yes I actually went and sat it. I got a D but got B's in all my other a-levels, some of them with full ums in the exams. I will be retaking this English AS level.

After the exam season I went to see my doctor but backed out from treatment and sort of in the same cycle again but going to focus on being more positive this year.

Sorry for the late reply heheh but thank you for all your help at the time! I appreciate it so much

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I actually read all of your posts even if some of them were after the exam.. and yes I actually went and sat it. I got a D but got B's in all my other a-levels, some of them with full ums in the exams. I will be retaking this English AS level.

After the exam season I went to see my doctor but backed out from treatment and sort of in the same cycle again but going to focus on being more positive this year.

Sorry for the late reply heheh but thank you for all your help at the time! I appreciate it so much
    Congrats, hope you're feeling a bit better now.

ReputationRep:

Well done for going and congrats on your amazing results.

ReputationRep:

Congrats Wish you all the best for the next year

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.