Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Britain is too “passively tolerant” and should not leave people to live their lives as they please as they please just because they obey the law, David Cameron has said."

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',” - David Cameron

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10246517.html

What's going on? Even if you obey the law you are not aloud to express views or thoughts that fall out of what id decided by the state? Why did people vote for these guys? A core British value is freedom of speech and expression, well it is to me anyway.

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.”

ReputationRep:
    The start of austerity and an overly PC government where all our conversations and everything we write is monitored by the government.

Well done Britain

ReputationRep:
    They are already attacking those anti-Tory protests as "undemocratic", have we been far too tolerant of demonstrations?

Why are people not getting angry? He just said "even if your are behaving within the confines of the law, you will not be safe from us". That is what he literally just said. Rule of law, another British value.

He genuinely sounds like a fascist here and I don't normally bandy around terms like that. Or a Soviet commissar for all you lot that don't like fascism for being singled out as ****.

*waits for people to defend the undefendable*

To all you Tory tirbalists out there, imagine if Blair or Brown has said this with all that ID card *******s? You would be goign woppy. Or will you defend a Prime Minister of this country saying even if you obey the law you are not safe, just because he is a Tory?

ReputationRep:
    There have been riots already outside downing street the other week after they got voted in. Police officers were injured and 17 people were arrested. My prediction is it will only get worse with time, especially when cuts are introduced.

What really worries me is his plan to get rid of the human rights acts. I would not trust the government with a bill of rights, look at MI6 who tortured people, what did the government do about this? Nothing.

I wouldn't trust the Tories with my wage let alone with my human rights.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely terrifying, sounds like something the leader of a country in a dystopian novel would say. Scary times ahead of anyone who values freedom and liberty.

ReputationRep:
    This has been going on for 15 years at least now. It's what happens when you have a massive, intrusive state with none of the population actually giving a monkey that their liberties are being taken away.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh; am I gonna have to join the revolution? If I do can we sing Do You Hear The People Sing? Because if I get arrested I'm going to do it while singing showtunes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, we're on track to become the new North Korea :rolleyes:

ffs people we're going to be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    This has been going on for 15 years at least now. It's what happens when you have a massive, intrusive state with none of the population actually giving a monkey that their liberties are being taken away.
    Yep, both labour and Tory (helped by the "liberal" democrats) have been doing this and no one seems to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    He genuinely sounds like a fascist here
    This is what most Tory tribalists want - so long as its against The Left and assorted enemies.

But, first they came for The Left...

ReputationRep:
    When you want to put out as nasty and poisonous a message as the Tories do over coming years, it's not even enough to have 90% of the media in your pocket. People's natural compassion and sense of fairness is too great for that.

So, having already clamped down on charities speaking out politically, they now seek to criminalise people no doubt making anti-government statements like we are so far in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    I think he was referring to extremism - and to be honest, we do have a problem in that regard.

Not that I agree with everything he's said.

ReputationRep:
    They are already attacking those anti-Tory protests as "undemocratic", have we been far too tolerant of demonstrations?
    People protesting against a democratically elected government just because they're butt hurt that Forrest Gump isn't prime minister.

Why are people not getting angry? He just said "even if your are behaving within the confines of the law, you will not be safe from us". That is what he literally just said. Rule of law, another British value.
    Don't misquote him, he didn't say that. What I took from his comments were more that we shouldn't tolerate the ridiculous views of racists and homophobes just because they happen to not be breaking the law

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I think he was referring to extremism
    Whats extremism?

ReputationRep:
    What's going on? Even if you obey the law you are not aloud to express views or thoughts that fall out of what id decided by the state? Why did people vote for these guys? A core British value is freedom of speech and expression, well it is to me anyway.
    He's referring to extremist views, i.e. the sort of Islamic extremism that leads people running off to join IS. Further down the article it notes the values that need to be reinforced are 'democracy, rule of law, tolerance and acceptance of different faiths'. One doesn't have to believe in democracy, rule of law, tolerance and acceptance of different faiths, but it doesn't mean we should just condone that. Which is common sense if you think about it. Why should a nation not reinforce its values? That's what he's referring to. The Independent is purposely being lazy. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-david-cameron

(Original post by n00)
    Whats extremism?
    The sort of extremism that led to the death of Lee Rigby. The sort of extremism that makes some people think it's ok to wander the streets of London telling homosexuals to 'get out', demanding people hide their alcohol, telling women how to dress. A manager at a Sainsbury's in Holborn removing all Kosher products because it offends some people that there are Jews living in Britain. People like Anjem Choudary encouraging young men to join terrorist groups.

I'm not a fan of Conservatives. But religious extremism is worse. It's a nasty disease that destroys lives and pollutes our society with lies and dogma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    He's referring to extremist views, i.e. the sort of Islamic extremism that leads people running off to join IS. Further down the article it notes the values that need to be reinforced are 'democracy, rule of law, tolerance and acceptance of different faiths'. One doesn't have to believe in democracy, rule of law, tolerance and acceptance of different faiths, but it doesn't mean we should just condone that. Which is common sense if you think about it. Why should a nation not reinforce its values? That's what he's referring to. The Independent is purposely being lazy. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-david-cameron

The sort of extremism that led to the death of Lee Rigby. The sort of extremism that makes some people think it's ok to wander the streets of London telling homosexuals to 'get out', demanding people hide their alcohol, telling women how to dress. A manager at a Sainsbury's in Holborn removing all Kosher products because it offends some people that there are Jews living in Britain. People like Anjem Choudary encouraging young men to join terrorist groups.

I'm not a fan of Conservatives. But religious extremism is worse. It's a nasty disease that destroys lives and pollutes our society with lies and dogma.
    "telling homosexuals to 'get out'" Like those B&B owners or cake makers?

"telling women how to dress" Like long sleeves and no trousers? Employers can't demand uniforms?

Can you be a little more specific? How am i supposed to know if i've crossed the line into extremism? Is it just Islamic extremism? I've heard May and Cameron talking about neo-nazis and 9/11 conspiracy theorists, are justice for the 96 conspiracy theorists? Does that make them extremist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Whats extremism?
    Very good question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    There have been riots already outside downing street the other week after they got voted in. Police officers were injured and 17 people were arrested. My prediction is it will only get worse with time, especially when cuts are introduced.
    Oh well, if people are throwing their toys out of the pram because they don't agree with the result we must have voted the wrong way. There's simply no other explanation.

Lest we forget, Miliband was going to outlaw islamophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Lest we forget, Miliband was going to outlaw islamophobia.
    Is Islamophobia not extremism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Is Islamophobia not extremism?
    I don't know the precise proposals. My point is simply that the other side does not have unimpeachable free speech credentials either.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.