Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone reckons if it is worth studying another A level whilst I am at university? I was thinking of doing a Spanish A level (I am fluent in Spanish) whilst I'm doing my first year at university. I feel like it would be useful in the future as my teachers always tell me how important A levels are, even with a university degree. So if I decide to do a Spanish A level in the first year (which I've isn't the most difficult or important year of the degree) does anyone have any input as if it will be worthwhile or not? or if this is common/unheard of? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet (going this year) but I want to do further maths AS level in first year, because I really enjoy maths and want to carry on learning it but I'm not doing maths at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomaspaston)
    I was wondering if anyone reckons if it is worth studying another A level whilst I am at university? I was thinking of doing a Spanish A level (I am fluent in Spanish) whilst I'm doing my first year at university. I feel like it would be useful in the future as my teachers always tell me how important A levels are, even with a university degree. So if I decide to do a Spanish A level in the first year (which I've isn't the most difficult or important year of the degree) does anyone have any input as if it will be worthwhile or not? or if this is common/unheard of? thanks.

If you are fluent in Spanish already then I say yes do it. A-levels in languages don't really require too much effort and if you are fluent then you hardly have to do any preparation.

First year is about getting everyone to the same general level as each other in subjects and in most degree schemes does not mean anything overall. It's just a year to get used to university life.

Having an A-level is good. But if you do a test based on the European language scale then that could be better, as an A level in a language does not show that someone has a certain level of proficiency.

Once you're in uni, and you graduate, your A levels don't really mean much.
    You can just say on your CV that you are fluent in Spanish.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.