The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haseeb1
Well its cheap compared to the beast of a pc I've got :smug: just the graphics card cost £290. So in comparison, ps4 is not that expensive. You can get a PC that ****s all over ps4's even at the 4-500 quid range. Though if you're a true gaming enthusiast, PC wont let you down if you get the right hardware.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought we were comparing it to the Xbox

#oops #mymistakes #sorryfornotsorry #lota #bodna

Reply 21
Original post by BCMFM16
I thought we were comparing it to the Xbox

#oops #mymistakes #sorryfornotsorry #lota #bodna

Xbox is *******s too... lol jk both consoles are decent, but I think they should have had better hardware, and the ability to customize graphics to your preference, so you can play at for high frames per second or better quality. Then they wouldnt be so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb1
Xbox is *******s too... lol jk both consoles are decent, but I think they should have had better hardware, and the ability to customize graphics to your preference, so you can play at for high frames per second or better quality. Then they wouldnt be so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Je suis d'accord!
Yakuza and Uncharted make it an eventual must buy for me.

It's probably better than the Xbox One just because having a PC makes an Xbox of any generation almost obsolete.

All that matters though is if the exclusives are what you really want to play. If so, then go get it. That's all that matters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Jammy Duel
Plug the PC into the, I assume, TV then...
Console won't have a bigger screen then

It's not my choice where things are plugged in in my house. Plus it's less convenient for the PC to be plugged in to the TV

Posted from TSR Mobile
PS4's sales pace means you're wrong OP. It reached 2 million sales in the UK faster than the best selling home console of all time - PlayStation 2.

It currently sits at 22.3 million units sold worldwide and counting.

Sony must be doing something right.
Original post by Mr Black Magic
PS4's sales pace means you're wrong OP. It reached 2 million sales in the UK faster than the best selling home console of all time - PlayStation 2.

It currently sits at 22.3 million units sold worldwide and counting.

Sony must be doing something right.

Sales don't necessarily mean much. With enough marketing I could take a turd, polish it a bit, and have a good marketing campaign and it will sell well. This is what both companies did.
If you do well enough you don't even have to polish it, that's Ubisoft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sales don't necessarily mean much. With enough marketing I could take a turd, polish it a bit, and have a good marketing campaign and it will sell well. This is what both companies did.
If you do well enough you don't even have to polish it, that's Ubisoft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the PS4 isn't a turd. It's actually a pretty good product.
But the PS4 isn't a turd. It's actually a pretty good product.

They're both equally bad/good
Point still stands though, it's an industry where you can produce total crap and have it still sell well, and I think the reason PS4 has sold better isn't that it's the better platform, it's that it didn't have such a negative rep from the off, M$ had too many blunders and $ony must monopolised on them.
At the end of the day, the relative sales rely on only two things: marketing and exclusives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both equally bad/good
Point still stands though, it's an industry where you can produce total crap and have it still sell well, and I think the reason PS4 has sold better isn't that it's the better platform, it's that it didn't have such a negative rep from the off, M$ had too many blunders and $ony must monopolised on them.
At the end of the day, the relative sales rely on only two things: marketing and exclusives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you turning this into a console wars debate?
OP is making hyperbolic claims about the PS4 and I'm saying that 22 million sales says he is wrong.
I seriously doubt millions of consumers are going buy a console that lacks functionality, has no games and is generally crap (as the OP suggests). Thanks to the web and social media, people tend to be a lot more informed these days. If something is sh1t then it will be reflected in sales. A terrible product won't sell in the millions.

You make it sound like the PS4 is some grand deception that Sony has conjured up and people are blindly buying into it with very little thought.
PC ftw
Why are you turning this into a console wars debate?
OP is making hyperbolic claims about the PS4 and I'm saying that 22 million sales says he is wrong.
I seriously doubt millions of consumers are going buy a console that lacks functionality, has no games and is generally crap (as the OP suggests). Thanks to the web and social media, people tend to be a lot more informed these days. If something is sh1t then it will be reflected in sales. A terrible product won't sell in the millions.

You make it sound like the PS4 is some grand deception that Sony has conjured up and people are blindly buying into it with very little thought.

I'm turning it into a console wars debate?
I'm merely stating the facts. Microsoft cocked up massively early on and took forever to make amends, but otherwise it's the same as last gen.

And in the culture our industry is in now absolute **** will sell in huge numbers because so many people preorder and do many people but on day one rather than waiting for confirmation the game isn't tripe.

Not that it is bad, but how many millions of units did GTA V have in preorders? How many million more units on day one? Why? Not because people knew it would be good, but because of the hype. You see it every year with new phones, you see it with the consoles. Neither it outstanding, but what we're their global day one and preorder sales? How many units did Unity sell? It didn't even work properly and still doesn't 6 months on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm turning it into a console wars debate?
I'm merely stating the facts. Microsoft cocked up massively early on and took forever to make amends, but otherwise it's the same as last gen.

And in the culture our industry is in now absolute **** will sell in huge numbers because so many people preorder and do many people but on day one rather than waiting for confirmation the game isn't tripe.

Not that it is bad, but how many millions of units did GTA V have in preorders? How many million more units on day one? Why? Not because people knew it would be good, but because of the hype. You see it every year with new phones, you see it with the consoles. Neither it outstanding, but what we're their global day one and preorder sales? How many units did Unity sell? It didn't even work properly and still doesn't 6 months on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're making a lot of irrelevant comparisions here. Games cost a tenth of what a console costs so people will be more likely to part with their cash. Annualized franchises like COD, FIFA and AC exploit brand loyalty. Phones are upgraded every year - consoles aren't.

Games made by Rockstar tend to be highly polished and usually have long development cycles. GTAV was highly praised, so it's not surprising that it moved a lot of units.
As I said before, the PS4 is a pretty good product. The PlayStation eco system and hardware package make it a compelling purchase at a reasonable price point.
Reply 33
PS4 will get slaughtered at Christmas...XBox has all the exclusives, Tomb Raider, Halo 5 and the new Forza.
You're making a lot of irrelevant comparisions here. Games cost a tenth of what a console costs so people will be more likely to part with their cash. Annualized franchises like COD, FIFA and AC exploit brand loyalty. Phones are upgraded every year - consoles aren't.

Try a sixth, even at launch only a seventh, and those sixths quickly add up. Hell, just 1 game per year for the console's lifespan and you've spent as much

Games made by Rockstar tend to be highly polished...

*cough*GTA IV

...and usually have long development cycles. GTAV was highly praised, so it's not surprising that it moved a lot of units.
As I said before, the PS4 is a pretty good product. The PlayStation eco system and hardware package make it a compelling purchase at a reasonable price point.

You do realise that exact same argument applies to the Xbone as well? You still haven't quite explained what the difference between 8th gen launch and 7th gen launch is that means that the higher sales prove a better console. You have thus far failed to challenge the proposition that a shaky pre launch for M$ is one of the biggest factors involved; even when M$ "fixed" the "issues" people kept speaking of these no longer truths as facts. How long after the always online and the whole game sharing thing were scrapped were people still going on about it? Also that the xbone was more expensive at launch.

How much flack did M$ get for going for a slightly different route and going for a slightly more family oriented package? Personally, I think that was not a bad decision, particularly if they maintain it into the 9th gen. Slight compromise in performance (but nothing compared to the massive compromise of it being a console) to slightly widen your target audience. There is a lot of gimmicky **** with the xbone, but there is with the PS4 too.

gets a little rambly from here.

And neither represents great value for money, they were obsolete when launched, even for the price point and they still are. Let's consider speculation of a short dev cycle to be true and they are 5 year consoles, what does this leave us, let's take it from launch too. £400 to buy it, a further couple of hundred for the subscriptions, £10-£20 more expensive games vs PC, let's say 5 a year, I wouldn't say that's unreasonable, so £50-100 a year for that, all in all you have a budget in excess of £1k to build a computer to last 5 years and smash the consoles while doing it, not difficult, even without going second hand. And that assumes no hardware failures.

Briefly, on launch, the PS4 represented the best compute performance per dollar, within 5 months something three quarters the price per GFLOP took its place, and since then the price has halved again. Now that mobile and desktop chip architectures are aligned mobile devices will be able to compete with the consoles before the end of the dev cycle. Tablet I have running on a 3 year old architecture has a quarter of the power of an Xbone, the successor chip, running a newer architecture, about 40% of the power of an Xbone with just 10W, fanless, the chip next year, probably a new architecture again, if not it will be the next year, the 2017 chip will probably be roughly on par with the Xbone. This isn't really an issue if we continue this 5 year dev cycle assumption, it will be like last time, when mobile chips are comparable the 9th gen comes along, but if we go back to the standard 7 or 8 year cycle, well...
Reply 35
Original post by Arran82
PS4 will get slaughtered at Christmas...XBox has all the exclusives, Tomb Raider, Halo 5 and the new Forza.

Tomb Raider is just a timed exclusive, it will also be coming to PS4. It won't be in the same league as Uncharted 4 anyway.

Halo 5, well PS has Killzone.

Forza? PS has Gran Turismo. Not to mention Project Cars is on both consoles and bends both games over and gives them a good spanking,
Original post by Arran82

Indeed, but how does that matter when it's slaughtering the Xbox the rest of the time? Plus most Halo fans would already have an Xbox One.
Original post by dhr90
Tomb Raider is just a timed exclusive, it will also be coming to PS4. It won't be in the same league as Uncharted 4 anyway.

Halo 5, well PS has Killzone.

Forza? PS has Gran Turismo. Not to mention Project Cars is on both consoles and bends both games over and gives them a good spanking,

Killzone =/= Halo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Mushi_master
Killzone =/= Halo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone who says KZSF is a good game is on drugs or a PS Fanboy

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise that exact same argument applies to the Xbone as well? You still haven't quite explained what the difference between 8th gen launch and 7th gen launch is that means that the higher sales prove a better console. You have thus far failed to challenge the proposition that a shaky pre launch for M$ is one of the biggest factors involved; even when M$ "fixed" the "issues" people kept speaking of these no longer truths as facts. How long after the always online and the whole game sharing thing were scrapped were people still going on about it? Also that the xbone was more expensive at launch.

How much flack did M$ get for going for a slightly different route and going for a slightly more family oriented package? Personally, I think that was not a bad decision, particularly if they maintain it into the 9th gen. Slight compromise in performance (but nothing compared to the massive compromise of it being a console) to slightly widen your target audience. There is a lot of gimmicky **** with the xbone, but there is with the PS4 too.

Yeah, I never said the X1 was a bad console. You keep attempting to derail the thread by turning it into an X1 vs PS4 argument. The OP has suggested that the PS4 is a crap console with no games.
I am simply saying that the sales figures and momentum currently displayed by the PS4 suggest that the OP is incorrect.
22.3 million sales and a fast adoption rate show that the PS4 is a compelling product that people want.

The PS4 has been out for well over a year now, hype season is long gone and yet it still continues to sell incredibly well. If the PS4's software offerings and user experience were as bad as the OP suggests, the console would not continue to move units at such a pace.

You seem keen to solely attribute Sony's success to Microsoft's blunders whilst overlooking the fact that Sony simply had a better strategy from day 1 and it paid off. They learned from the PS3's mistakes, took a more humble, gamer-centric approach and kept the gimmicks to a minimum. The result is the PS4.

gets a little rambly from here.

And neither represents great value for money, they were obsolete when launched, even for the price point and they still are. Let's consider speculation of a short dev cycle to be true and they are 5 year consoles, what does this leave us, let's take it from launch too. £400 to buy it, a further couple of hundred for the subscriptions, £10-£20 more expensive games vs PC, let's say 5 a year, I wouldn't say that's unreasonable, so £50-100 a year for that, all in all you have a budget in excess of £1k to build a computer to last 5 years and smash the consoles while doing it, not difficult, even without going second hand. And that assumes no hardware failures.

Briefly, on launch, the PS4 represented the best compute performance per dollar, within 5 months something three quarters the price per GFLOP took its place, and since then the price has halved again. Now that mobile and desktop chip architectures are aligned mobile devices will be able to compete with the consoles before the end of the dev cycle. Tablet I have running on a 3 year old architecture has a quarter of the power of an Xbone, the successor chip, running a newer architecture, about 40% of the power of an Xbone with just 10W, fanless, the chip next year, probably a new architecture again, if not it will be the next year, the 2017 chip will probably be roughly on par with the Xbone. This isn't really an issue if we continue this 5 year dev cycle assumption, it will be like last time, when mobile chips are comparable the 9th gen comes along, but if we go back to the standard 7 or 8 year cycle, well...

Yeah, here's the thing though, the vast majority of consumers who buy consoles don't give a sh1t about tech specs. Consoles have always been about ease-of-use, compromise and affordability.

PC's have always outpaced consoles - this is nothing new. You have to remember that the average consumer isn't looking for bleeding edge CPUs and GPUs. Clock cycles and RAM types may mean something to you but they mean nothing to the average consumer. They just want a box that sits under their TV and plays games with little effort. Simplicity and convenience matter more than tech specs to the masses. And buying a console tends to satisfy these requirements more accurately than attempting to build a dedicated gaming rig.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest