Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What degree is usually require prior to applying for graduate medicine in the UK ? Does it have to be science based ? Could you get in if you have studied sports science or something to do with the body that involves sports ? Do university's also accept people with a psychology degree ? I'm only asking this as it truly is my ambition to become a doctor and Al I want to do is save life's. I also heard Newcastle university is good for postgraduate medicine, what degrees are accepted to do postgraduate medicine ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jshjsh)
    What degree is usually require prior to applying for graduate medicine in the UK ? Does it have to be science based ? Could you get in if you have studied sports science or something to do with the body that involves sports ? Do university's also accept people with a psychology degree ? I'm only asking this as it truly is my ambition to become a doctor and Al I want to do is save life's. I also heard Newcastle university is good for postgraduate medicine, what degrees are accepted to do postgraduate medicine ?
    Literally all of these questions can be answered with Google.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide

ReputationRep:
    =what degrees are accepted to do postgraduate medicine ?
    You need a medical degree to do postgraduate training in medicine. There is no other way of doing postgraduate medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    You need a medical degree to do postgraduate training in medicine. There is no other way of doing postgraduate medicine.
    But Newcastle university and a few more state that they accept any degree as long as it's a second class honours or higher. Could a medical degree include something like sports science or a social science ?

ReputationRep:
    But Newcastle university and a few more state that they accept any degree as long as it's a second class honours or higher. Could a medical degree include something like sports science or a social science ?
    Postgraduate medicine is what happens after you have graduated with a medical degree.
    You are concerned with graduate entry medicine. They are two very different things.

As Democracy has said use Google, these are really basic questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Postgraduate medicine is what happens after you have graduated with a medical degree.
    You are concerned with graduate entry medicine. They are two very different things.

Aw ok thank you, so if I graduated with a degree in sports science could I then enter at graduate level for medicine ?

ReputationRep:
    Aw ok thank you, so if I graduated with a degree in sports science could I then enter at graduate level for medicine ?
    Read the information given. Particularly that link.

(Original post by Zorg)

(Original post by Democracy)
    Literally all of these questions can be answered with Google.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide

ReputationRep:
    What course did you hold prior to entering medicine at graduate entry ? Could you enter medicine at graduate entry with a degree in sports science or a social science ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, some universities will accept grads with an arts degree.

My degree was in English Literature and Language. I chose a 5-year course in the end, but was offered interviews for the 4-year courses at Newcastle and KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Yes, some universities will accept grads with an arts degree.

My degree was in English Literature and Language. I chose a 5-year course in the end, but was offered interviews for the 4-year courses at Newcastle and KCL.
    Thank you, this was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am thinking of going for a second degree in Medicine, I Have a BA (hons) 2.1 in Fashion, does anyone have an idea for the next step apart from reading through university requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaikai)
    Hi! I am thinking of going for a second degree in Medicine, I Have a BA (hons) 2.1 in Fashion, does anyone have an idea for the next step apart from reading through university requirements?
    You'll need some work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaikai)
    What's made you think about Medicine? Do you have any work experience under your belt already? If not, that would seem a sensible place to start, since not only will you need work experience should you choose to apply, but it'll also give you a slightly better idea about whether it's the right path for you or not. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    What's made you think about Medicine? Do you have any work experience under your belt already? If not, that would seem a sensible place to start, since not only will you need work experience should you choose to apply, but it'll also give you a slightly better idea about whether it's the right path for you or not. Hope that helps.
    I had some previous work experience in a care home working with the elderly which I enjoyed to a great extend but wouldn't want to make a career out of it as it true,y is heartbreaking watching old people die and also watching their lives with dimension and Alzheimer's. I've all ways held a true passion for medicine as I find it incredibly interstings, I also really want o help people and save life's as I feel as if it's my passion in life, that's what I want to do and if that means waiting until I'm 21 to star graduate medicine then so it is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.