Turn on thread page Beta

How would poor first year performance but high average and GMAT affect a Msc app? watch

ReputationRep:
    Assume student x did badly in his first year, achieving a high 2:2 composed of very bad grades and some good ones.
    He switched his life around and obtained high enough grades to average a 1st on his second year, and did well on standardised testing.

Graduate application programs are applied to on the end of 2nd year / start of 3rd.
    Thus the only data available are 1st year transcripts, 2nd year transcripts and standardised scores.

How would poor 1st year grades potentially impact an application to a prestigious top university?

ReputationRep:
    It would be your final grade which mattered and not how you got there. Your transcript wouldn't be requested until you confirmed that you'd met a conditional offer (usually the equivalent of a First/2:1), at which point, nobody would care about early results. If you have two good academic references and write a convincing application focussed on your interest in the MSc subject, then you should be in with the same chance as other applicants as long as you get the final grade.

However, do pick your referees carefully. If you have a patchy academic track record, you need to make sure that you choose referees who have confidence in your potential and who won't write something lukewarm or non-committal. If you've previously had lower marks in modules directly applicable to the Masters subject, then getting the 'right' references might be a bit of a ticklish process.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the answer, I'm going to place priority on developing with the people I'm considering asking. I'm glad the transcript application works that way, it makes me much more confident. Although that does leaves me confused as to how universities handle admissions if they will not look at my transcript initially? Anyways, thank you for the answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mz155)
    I appreciate the answer, I'm going to place priority on developing with the people I'm considering asking. I'm glad the transcript application works that way, it makes me much more confident. Although that does leaves me confused as to how universities handle admissions if they will not look at my transcript initially? Anyways, thank you for the answer!
    It varies between university. Some of them ask for a transcript as part of the application.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.