Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm going to attend Cambridge Open day in July, so I am seeking advice on what to do, and what to prepare, for the open day. Shall I attend the university open day? Or perhaps the college specific open day? Or both? Shall I seek chance to meet the professors? Or shall I go to the department I want to study under (math)?
    As much advice as possible will be extremely helpful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you can, I thoroughly recommend to go to all of them; university, college and department, as each of them is designed to cover different aspects of Cambridge life.
    But on the open day many colleges are open for viewing (some with 'guides' to tour around the college with you) so you'll have a glimpse of what college life might be like.
    Department open day is particularly good if you want to ask some specific questions about their course. I don't think you'll be able to get a time to talk with their professor/lecturer on one-to-one basis, so a brief Q&A time during the department open day is the only sure chance you can do it. Also there'll be a tour of department, led by current student as a guide, so you'll be able to ask about their first hand experience, too.
    University open day is very good, of course, as it gives you more general info about applying/ studying at Cambridge. There'll be many Q& A opportunity for each session.

If I were to rank those open days in the order of importance, it's be like...
    1. University
    2. Department
    3. College

If you're going to see colleges, be careful with their 'marketing ploy'! . The quality of accommodation they'll show you are not necessarily you'll get for three years. There's a quite few colleges that have wonderful first year accommodation but it goes steeply downhill for second year and third year.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 100708244)
    Hello everyone,
    I'm going to attend Cambridge Open day in July, so I am seeking advice on what to do, and what to prepare, for the open day. Shall I attend the university open day? Or perhaps the college specific open day? Or both? Shall I seek chance to meet the professors? Or shall I go to the department I want to study under (math)?
    As much advice as possible will be extremely helpful. Thanks
    Hi,

The timings of many events is designed so that you can go to something from the Department, one of the central admissions office and still have the chance to see some colleges.

For example, at Peterhouse we are open to all without the need to book from 8:30 until 5:15 on both days for college tours and the chance to speak to current students and members of the admissions team. We will also have a subject fair with the chance to meet Fellows/Supervisors/Directors of Studies in your subject (Dr Andras Zsak for Maths) between 12 and 1 on both days, and we will have a short College admissions presentation at 11:45 and 4:00 on both days (same talk in both sessions).

Other Colleges will be arranging their own programmes of events, but all are supposed to fit around the other activities happening in Cambridge that day (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...lege-open-days). Some you have to book onto, others you can just turn up.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.