Turn on thread page Beta

Car ticking noise going forward after startup and squealing when reversing watch

ReputationRep:
    Tonight, I drove off with my windows down, something of a rarity as car has automatic air con and was horrified to hear clicking noises, as if some bit of metal was touching the ground or something was stuck in a bicyle spoke, because the frequency increased as car sped up.

Furthermore, the car when put into reverse has an initial metal crunch (not gear crunch sound), then moderate squealing as I went back.

The problem seemed to lessen as the car warmed up, although there still seemed to be a minor clicking noise, if it is that, then it's very quiet and not connected to acceleration . But the reverse still sounded back, metal trailing sound.

Obviously I'm going to take it to a mechanic, but the one I normally use is fully booked until next Friday.

Oh, I forgot to mention, car is an automatic. I'm wondering if the brakes are sticking or something. Because when I lift brake pedal, the light that allows me to change gear takes about a second or so to register (can't remember if it's always been like that). I've also experienced recently the car decelerating far too rapidly as soon as I take foot of accelerator, as if handbrake was on, but it wasnt. Again that went away as car warmed up.

Does it sound serious enough for me to leave it parked until I drive to a mechanic? This could have gone on for a while because I nearly always drive with windows fully closed and aircon on so I couldn't hear anything

ReputationRep:
    Could be any number of things. A ticking noise as you are driving along could simply be stones stuck in the wheel. Do you drive on gravel at all? As for crunches etc - who knows.

ReputationRep:
    CV joint(s)?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a stone stuck in the wheel/brakes.

an easy way is to first get someone to listen while you crawl the car through a car park and find the source.
    Obviously, take a peek under the car to make sure that there is nothing hanging down.

if you can, jack the car up and spin each wheel forward and back to identify the problem.
    The wheel in question might need to come off to gat a stone out, but often reversing will pop it out.

ReputationRep:
    I took the car out at 3am this morning when the roads were dead to have a more proper test. I'm not sure about the stone stuck theory but it's definitely something to do with brakes, the ticking noise more or less disappears after driving about for 10 minutes, though the reversing noises never go away. Basically I think parts of the footbrake / handbrake is stuck, because in first 10 minutes of driving, if I take off my foot off the accelerator, the car slows noticeably and will come to a standstill. It's supposed to crawl on automatic.

I definitely don't feel comfortable driving it 10 miles to work and back later. I probably have to get 2 buses :/ 1 hour round trip turned into 2 and a half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    I took the car out at 3am this morning when the roads were dead to have a more proper test. I'm not sure about the stone stuck theory but it's definitely something to do with brakes, the ticking noise more or less disappears after driving about for 10 minutes, though the reversing noises never go away. Basically I think parts of the footbrake / handbrake is stuck, because in first 10 minutes of driving, if I take off my foot off the accelerator, the car slows noticeably and will come to a standstill. It's supposed to crawl on automatic.

I definitely don't feel comfortable driving it 10 miles to work and back later. I probably have to get 2 buses :/ 1 hour round trip turned into 2 and a half.
    Try having a look at the gap between the discs and the pads yourself? If ones evidently stuck on it may well be visible.

ReputationRep:
    Cat in the wheelarch

ReputationRep:
    After driving around the block, touch the metal part of the wheel in the middle of each one. If one wheel is noticeably hotter than the others, then it's the brake for that wheel that's the issue. It sounds like a stuck caliper to me, probably a rear one if it's not pulling to one side through the steering wheel.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to update the thread as to what the problem was, and still is. A backing plate that's bent and hitting the brake discs. Apparently something hit it from underneath the car and knocked it out of alignement. I actually wonder if it was one of them hand jet powerwashes and it started to happen after getting washed.

The mechanic tried to bend it back into place, so the worst of the metal crunching when reversing, moving off and autobraking is gone, but there's still a rustling when the wheel turns, albeit much quieter than before. Mechanic reckons it'll sort itself out in two weeks, if not he'll have to pull apart the brake and redo it.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same thing on mine. But the backing plates were rusty, hence had no form to keep them in place. But at least good old MB made the job very easy to do.. NOT!

I had to separate the rear hubs from all the arms.

The clicking noise I had was a rusty handbrake mechanism. So I put a new one in.

That sorted the noises out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.