Turn on thread page Beta

Guys do you check your girlfriends facebook inbox & ask her about guys she talks to? watch

So im wondering, ive started going out with this girl and I was talking to a mate of myne who is in a long term realtionship. He told me he checks his girlfriends texts and facebook on a regular basis and he asks her about which guys shes been talking to at work, is this normal ?

ReputationRep:
    No, partly because I am not a control freak, but mostly because I don't have a girlfriend. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sometimes but I don't get mad or anything. I just laugh at the feeble attempts of other guys

ReputationRep:
    If you don't trust someone you shouldn't be with them. I've just had a massive epiphany myself from typing that.

ReputationRep:
    No. Jealousy and parinoia isn't healthy in a relationship.

(Original post by Zander01)
    Yeah sometimes but I don't get mad or anything. I just laugh at the feeble attempts of other guys
    does it bother you if she replies ?

ReputationRep:
    No way, that's nauseatingly controlling behaviour. True, if a text pings through on my girlfriend's phone I can't help but look at the preview on the home screen or in the notifications bar. But that's a bit different from actively going into her messages or logging into her Facebook.

(Original post by Jibola240)
    No. Jealousy and parinoia isn't healthy in a relationship.
    fair enough but how common do you reckon it is for couples to do this ? would you say most do it or less than half

ReputationRep:
    couples who seriously think about staying together forever dont do that.
    You need to trust the other person, if you cant do that then dont go into the relationship. I wouldnt like my bf to read my convos cause sometimes I say mean stuff about him and sometimes I say really good ones that I anyway dont want him to know. We share a lots of things but some must remain private.

ReputationRep:
    For you're own sanity, you shouldn't. It'll bug you and you'll constantly be trying to interperate her convo's with guys.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a trust issue there. But the guy may have been hurt before and it's screwed him up a bit. When I had a rebound relationship after being continuously cheated on I was like that a bit. It drove us apart and he called me crazy (which I was) and it ended badly.

With my fiancé we trust each other and so wouldn't look at each others stuff. Although we usually just show each other anyway because we are often together. We have been known to read the texts and then say "your mum wants to know if you're OK" and chuck the phone over if we're closest... But its convenience more than anything :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done this once or twice and it didnt go down well and i certainly didnt feel good about myself. I would avoid getting into that kind of thing..it just leads to instability. Infact the only instability in our relationship has arisen due to that. Even if its not 100% about you not trusting her its a betrayal of trust at the end of the day and ive realised trust is of critical importance in any long(ish) relationship. So yeah ive learnt a lot by being an idiot. love can make you irrational sometimes :rolleyes: but the main thing is to learn from it and not be a ****.

Not justifying my actions but on the flip side a lot of beautiful girls (like my gf ) have a large number of male friends at school etc who are just friends but would also jump at any chance to make a move and as a guy you know that. Girls get hit on constantly. Whereas even if your'e a guy with a lot going for them (good looks.. personality etc) you're unlikely to get hit on much so it definitely is harder for guys in a relationship but still it shows insecurity and weakness. After all we know what guys are like

B

ReputationRep:
    never do it....

one thing about developing such a habit is that you will drive yourself potty.

if she asks you to do so....

well that is another thing...

but don't help yourself develop the abilities of a troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    fair enough but how common do you reckon it is for couples to do this ? would you say most do it or less than half
    it is very uncommon except for borderline sociopaths where it is common or for real human love birds who agree to and know each others login and so on..

ReputationRep:
    So im wondering, ive started going out with this girl and I was talking to a mate of myne who is in a long term realtionship. He told me he checks his girlfriends texts and facebook on a regular basis and he asks her about which guys shes been talking to at work, is this normal ?
    Definitely not.

I'm not going to lie, when I was with my ex both of us done it at some point. It's definitely not a good route to go down and plus that's total invasion of someone's privacy, especially if they're not aware of this.

If you're checking someone's messages, then you shouldn't be with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    No way, that's nauseatingly controlling behaviour. True, if a text pings through on my girlfriend's phone I can't help but look at the preview on the home screen or in the notifications bar. But that's a bit different from actively going into her messages or logging into her Facebook.
    I once left my phone on the table at home and had my mother over. A friend of mine had been whatsapping me about doing a half marathon.

I went into the kitchen and my phone kept beeping and vibrating and she called for me and I said, its okay mum just tap the button that says remind or press the power button and let it go real quick.... but of course to do that she had to look at the phone screen...

Well bit my mother saw was when my friend whatsapped me to say " I did serious justice to the trainer today! i think i put his back out, "big grin" ready to go for another round tomorrow! " suffice to say i cannot put the look on my mother's face when i came back into the room into cohesive context at all.

Since then i removed the show notifications on lock and switched it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afroasiaweek)
    I once left my phone on the table at home and had my mother over. A friend of mine had been whatsapping me about doing a half marathon.

I went into the kitchen and my phone kept beeping and vibrating and she called for me and I said, its okay mum just tap the button that says remind or press the power button and let it go real quick.... but of course to do that she had to look at the phone screen...

Well bit my mother saw was when my friend whatsapped me to say " I did serious justice to the trainer today! i think i put his back out, "big grin" ready to go for another round tomorrow! " suffice to say i cannot put the look on my mother's face when i came back into the room into cohesive context at all.

Since then i removed the show notifications on lock and switched it off.
    Haha, excellent

ReputationRep:
    no it bloody isnt.

ReputationRep:

As long as you f-ing her right, you wont need to worry about our girl running out on you with some other guy. I'm guessing if she's your gf you'll probably have a good sense of if she's the slooty type....and if you think she is, then why the hell you dating her lol?

ReputationRep:
    does it bother you if she replies ?
    She only replies to be polite and it'll only be once or twice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.