Do all Cambridge colleges offer financial aid? Watch

wanderlust98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I was thinking of applying to Cambridge in the future, but I'm worried about the accommodation cost and I've heard that not everyone gets a place at their first-choice college (say if I were to pick a rich college), and could be pooled. So I was wondering if I should take the risk, or just apply to a university in London, where I can put up with a relative.

(Also, I'm an international student, so I don't think there are any bursaries or scholarships available, and almost none from my home country).

Thanks in advance.
vincrows
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some info about scholarship for international students.
https://www.cambridgetrust.org/schol...te-applicants/

Cost of accommodation will be cheaper at Cambridge than any other unis (most commonly only for the first year) in UK because all the Cambridge colleges offer accommodation to all undergraduates all through their course and they only charge for the period you're actually staying there (unlike private renting which you're usually on annual contract)......but of course they can't beat your generous relative in London who'd let you live with them for free!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, most people who get an offer, do get it from their preferred college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
vincrows
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Also, most people who get an offer, do get it from their preferred college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
that info is in the linked article.
Scott_eth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think your best option is probably to e-mail the admissions office of any colleges you're thinking about applying to, and then perhaps some of the colleges who typically give out a large proportion of pool offers - Girton, Homerton, Medwards, Fitz, Newnham and any others. I'm sure all of their Admissions tutors will be happy to give you information on financial assistance for international students you know will be correct, and all you need to do is copy and paste the same e-mail to them all!

The general party line I've been aware of since arriving here is that no college, or the university as a whole, will let someone drop out because they can't afford it. The university's assets have been estimated at £4.4 Billion, Trinity wanted to stop charging rent to their students a few years ago, it would be ridiculous for them to let someone who should be here leave for financial reasons!

Also as said above, there seems to be quite a few scholarships for international students and most people that get offers will get them from the college they applied to - Although whether the college is wealthy or not does not neccessarily make it easier/harder to get in to!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I suspect that only applies to home applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scott_eth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
I suspect that only applies to home applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite possibly, although financial difficulty is obviously financial difficulty regardless of your nationality, and I suspect Cambridge wouldn't want to lose an outstanding Maths applicant for example to MIT all because they couldn't help them with their EPOS bill. Though you are quite correct that I'm not certain about this - which is why I advocate that the first point of information should definitely be the admissions offices!
wanderlust98
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
Some info about scholarship for international students.
https://www.cambridgetrust.org/schol...te-applicants/

Cost of accommodation will be cheaper at Cambridge than any other unis (most commonly only for the first year) in UK because all the Cambridge colleges offer accommodation to all undergraduates all through their course and they only charge for the period you're actually staying there (unlike private renting which you're usually on annual contract)......but of course they can't beat your generous relative in London who'd let you live with them for free!
I've heard of that scholarship, but I'm not going to rely entirely on getting it, but thanks for the link!

Oh, well, that's interesting. Haha, true. ;-P
Thanks for the info!
wanderlust98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scott_eth)
I think your best option is probably to e-mail the admissions office of any colleges you're thinking about applying to, and then perhaps some of the colleges who typically give out a large proportion of pool offers - Girton, Homerton, Medwards, Fitz, Newnham and any others. I'm sure all of their Admissions tutors will be happy to give you information on financial assistance for international students you know will be correct, and all you need to do is copy and paste the same e-mail to them all!

The general party line I've been aware of since arriving here is that no college, or the university as a whole, will let someone drop out because they can't afford it. The university's assets have been estimated at £4.4 Billion, Trinity wanted to stop charging rent to their students a few years ago, it would be ridiculous for them to let someone who should be here leave for financial reasons!

Also as said above, there seems to be quite a few scholarships for international students and most people that get offers will get them from the college they applied to - Although whether the college is wealthy or not does not neccessarily make it easier/harder to get in to!
Thanks for the help! And that is a relief.
And regarding your other comment on losing a student to MIT- if you meant the institute of technology in Massachusetts; I personally think there's not much difference in fees for international students in the UK or US. Though US universities do seem to offer more financial aid.
vincrows
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scott_eth)
Quite possibly, although financial difficulty is obviously financial difficulty regardless of your nationality, and I suspect Cambridge wouldn't want to lose an outstanding Maths applicant for example to MIT all because they couldn't help them with their EPOS bill. Though you are quite correct that I'm not certain about this - which is why I advocate that the first point of information should definitely be the admissions offices!
The biggest and fundamental difference is that universities get subsidies from the government for home students but not for internationals, which makes supporting international students financially when they need it substantially costly than for home students. And having large amount of assets doesn't necessarily mean they're all awashed in money they can freely spend because in many cases the large proportion of the assets is fixed assets like the land the college is sitting on and the college building, which doesn't create any cash but in fact it cast them money to maintain. There're only a small handful of colleges who are lucky enough to be truly cash-rich. Large proportion of colleges are just about making it financially and there's even a few who are actually in debt in spite of supposedly large 'asset' on paper.
Last edited by vincrows; 3 years ago
vincrows
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust98)
I've heard of that scholarship, but I'm not going to rely entirely on getting it, but thanks for the link!

Oh, well, that's interesting. Haha, true. ;-P
Thanks for the info!
You're most welcome.

As far as I know the criteria for getting those scholarship for international undergraduate is not that easy, I'm afraid ; you'll have to have quite strong reasons to claim it, backed by your academic prowess too. But you seem to know about it already so it's good.
Once you're at Cambridge, there'll be a wide range of bursaries, scholarship, awards and grants that are available for both home and international students, mainly from colleges but also some from the department, and Cambridge tend to be quite generous with those kind of things.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (364)
91.92%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (32)
8.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise