Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I really don't know how the English education system works, but for all undergraduate degrees, is there a major and a minor? If so, do you have to take a minor closely related to your major or could you take a minor that pleases you? For example, if I would like to take a minor in computer science, with getting a BSc. in biomedical sciences.
    Thanks for the input in advance !

ReputationRep:
    no, you apply for the degree you eventually want to get and therefore only study that subject! sorry! although you can study a double honours degree where you study 2 subjects, I'm not sure but I think you would study both the same amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyui12345)
    Hi Guys,
    I really don't know how the English education system works, but for all undergraduate degrees, is there a major and a minor? If so, do you have to take a minor closely related to your major or could you take a minor that pleases you? For example, if I would like to take a minor in computer science, with getting a BSc. in biomedical sciences.
    Thanks for the input in advance !
    No. You study for a named degree that is offered by the university, rather than creating one for yourself from course offerings.

So:

1. Many students will study for a single honours degree, with all of their courses coming from the same departments (e.g. a BA in History or a BSc in Mathematics).

2. Other students will study for joint honours, with courses taken from two departments (e.g. a BA in History and French). Options here will often allow that one of these two becomes a de facto major, but still the degree certificate will read 'BA (Hons) History and French', even where this student ended up taking as much French and as little History as she could.

3. It's a fixed menu. That your university has a department of German offering joint honours courses and as well a department of Mathematics offering joint honours courses provides no guarantee that there will be available the opportunity to study for a joint honours degree in Mathematics and German. Whether there is or is not will be dependent on whether the departments have agreed this between themselves, which will involve collaborating over class timetables and examination schedules and so on and interdepartmental boards convened to determine a final degree result.

I have seen North American students maddened or mystified by that third circumstance. And I can kind of understand why as it might seem like a cafe offering coffee and iced tea but refusing me an iced coffee for its not being listed on the menu.

ReputationRep:
    Keele university do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    2. Other students will study for joint honours, with courses taken from two departments (e.g. a BA in History and French). Options here will often allow that one of these two becomes a de facto major, but still the degree certificate will read 'BA (Hons) History and French', even where this student ended up taking as much French and as little History as she could.

Does this mean after finishing my selected degree only then I can apply back for computer science ? Will the computer science degree be any shorter if I were to apply after finishing BSc. degree? or will it still be three years long ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSJKSP)
    no, you apply for the degree you eventually want to get and therefore only study that subject! sorry! although you can study a double honours degree where you study 2 subjects, I'm not sure but I think you would study both the same amount.
    damn

ReputationRep:
    Lots of universities do offer major-minors. The only thing is that they usually already specify which subjects they offer together. However, I have seen a few uni prospectuses that let you create your own major-miniors, so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    Lots of universities do offer major-minors. The only thing is that they usually already specify which subjects they offer together. However, I have seen a few uni prospectuses that let you create your own major-miniors, so good luck!
    Thank you very, very much ! You have given me much hope, I was just internally raging, because I want to do computer science as a full time degree, but my parents just won't let me. So i thought I would take it as a minor instead. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very, very much ! You have given me much hope, I was just internally raging, because I want to do computer science as a full time degree, but my parents just won't let me. So i thought I would take it as a minor instead. Thanks again!
    There is such a thing as a CS conversion course which is a taught Masters so it would take you one year plus the summer after your biomed degree.

Major and minor is a VERY new trend that has only begun in the past couple of years. I would be wary about the prestige of such a degree, at least here in the UK, and you may well still find only certain subjects are offered together, bio and CS don't seem easy bedfellows
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Or do it the other way. A CompSci BSc plus a Biomed MSc. eg http://www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering...linary/biomed/

BSc + MSc takes 4 years instead of 3 and is quite common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh and the other benefit of BSc + MSc is you only apply to do the MSc when you are in your 3rd year of the BSc (or after). The BSc and MSc are completely separate, they can even be done at different universities.

This means you can decide nearer the time not to bother with the MSc at all and just pursue the career you want, not necessarily what your parents want

As others have said, some UK unis have started to offer major + minor degrees, but not necessarily in the combinations you want.

e.g. Surrey
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/majorminor/2015

Or there's always Cambridge where you can sometimes change Tripos (degree) - i.e. start on CompSci and change to NatSci/Biomed for Part II. Not easy...
    http://www.biology.cam.ac.uk/undergrads/nst/bbs
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just to add about the MSc option: watch out for funding. If you are in the UK your BSc is funded by your Student Loan, but the MSc is not. You may have to find other sources (or pay for it yourself).

The gov has announced changes to postgrad funding so I suggest you do some research if this is a potential route.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30293964

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, Sorry for the late reply just finished exams and tried talking to my parents about MSc route. They said it is pointless so it won't really be an option for me, no matter what I try and tell them. Thanks for the help
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hi Guys, Sorry for the late reply just finished exams and tried talking to my parents about MSc route. They said it is pointless so it won't really be an option for me, no matter what I try and tell them. Thanks for the help
    Why do they think an MSc is pointless? It's an increasingly popular qualification to enable you to standout in a crowded job market.

US Data but I expect UK to be similar:
    http://www.vox.com/2014/5/20/5734816...ere-in-the-60s

So what route are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They do know that this is YOUR life, YOUR degree, YOUR future? You're unlikely to get a good grade if you hate your subject.

ReputationRep:
    Once again sorry for the late reply. I know it is my life but I have very strict traditional asian parents who don't give a damn. Whatever they say, goes. I will try my best in this course to do good because I know they have worked very hard, and I wouldn't want the money to go to waste. I guess I will have to do computer science after, or whenever I get the chance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.