The Student Room Group

Why do most people who cut cut their wrist?

Firstly I just want to say that I'm certainly not judging anyone here, this is just something I've been curious about for a while!

A few years back I was going through some difficult things, and started occasionally self harming (don't worry, I'm fine now). I'd always cut just below my hip, right where my underwear line is, to ensure no one would ever see it. However, in general, it seems most people choose to cut their wrist, then usually attempt to hide it by wearing long sleeves (making big generalisations here, I know not everyone does this). I'm just interested in why you choose to cut your wrist, which seems to be one of the most difficult places to hide?

P.s I'm on anon because no one I know knows about my self harming episode, and I'd rather it stayed like that :redface:

Thank you for your responses
Idk it's the easiest to access I guess, it makes the cleanest lines, it gives the best feeling for me, I don't really know how to explain but it just kind of feels like the right place? Maybe it's just because we've been conditioned to see wrists as the 'right' place to cut since stereotypically that's where people do it most.

Quick Reply

Latest