Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...e=news_central

Chuka Umunna has announced he won't stand for Labour leadership.

The most charismatic and prominent of the candidates, but could he have actually done it?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who badly wants Labour to be in government as soon as possible, this is excellent news. All Umunna had going for him was that he was media-friendly, and could have maybe been seen as vaguely competent with the economy being shadow business secretary.

Otherwise, he was pretty much all style over substance, lacking any principles beyond a desire to move Labour towards the right again, which is the opposite of what the party should be doing in my opinion. Plus, seeing as 4 million members of the electorate just voted UKIP, there is no way this super young Blairite who represents the multicultural face of London would have won those voters back. As a black guy it burns me to say that, but I just couldn't see him winning back those vital northern and eastern (and even Scottish) seats.

Having said all this, I have no idea who I'd like to see take the leadership. The Labour frontbenches seem to be seriously lacking in talent right now.

ReputationRep:
    Probably good for the Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely style over substance, not the most charismatic. And would make no inroads on the votes Labour are losing to UKIP in the dispossessed voters in their heartlands. Rightly they see him as someone who has no empathy or understanding of them.

ReputationRep:
    Chuka is one of the few Labour members that I saw as decent and competent. He was also quite articulate.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.